Does something need to be done about illegal/unlicenced/uninsured electric vehicles on our roads (and pavements)

I never get the two abreast thing btw, it's perfectly within the highway code to do so and you only have to let cars pass when you feel it's safe.

I was out for a meal with 3 other couples on Monday and one of them mentioned riding two abreast.
With forks and knives I showed them why it was better for a motorist than the cyclists riding single file.
They all got it although I said I would never do it, for starters I'm a single male commuter with no mates.

I was out for a meal with 3 other couples on Monday and one of them mentioned riding two abreast.
With forks and knives I showed them why it was better for a motorist than the cyclists riding single file.
They all got it although I said I would never do it, for starters I'm a single male commuter with no mates.
I know, it's a shorter overtake and seeing as you have to leave room then it's more beneficial than overtaking a longer single file group.

Seems like commonsense to me tbh.

What happens when the person leaves the bike? Is it the bike you wish to identify or the operator of it?
You cannot prosecute a bike :confused:

I don't know why you're debating it, it's not going to happen.
They need to sort us motorists out first.

People were convinced Brexit wasn't too.

Although it might be flawed it would be chaos if cars has no licence plates.

What about other wheeled forms of moving, such as rollerblades?
maybe people should just wear them on their backs and we can rename to China. Instead of people we can be Cattle belonging to the State.
Those menacing joggers moving along at 10 mph !!! they could knock over your old nan and kill her, weaving in and out of people all the time! never seen such danger on the paths in all my life.

Last edited:
We have laws they should just be applied. No need for anything extra IMO. Provide the cops with a big enough stick.

and this is the answer.

How do we get motorists not going through red lights?
How do we get motorists not using their phones?
How do we get motorists not speeding?
How do we get motorists not driving stupidly or with due care and attention?

Just wandering what everyone's thoughts are as I'm personally feeling like there's a pandemic of idiots riding electric unlicenced and not road legal electric vehicles (ebikes, escooters, etc) on our roads and pavements.
The big problem is, there is no such thing as a Ebike, it's just a trendy term that manufacturers of electric mopeds have invented so that they can use loopholes in the law to sell electric mopeds to people under 16 and without a license.

The big problem is, there is no such thing as a Ebike, it's just a trendy term that manufacturers of electric mopeds have invented so that they can use loopholes in the law to sell electric mopeds to people under 16 and without a license.
What about gravel/mountain bikes with pedal assist? They're not 'electric mopeds'.

I thought that was the commonly used name for an EAPC/EPAC - electrically assisted pedal cycle.

Legally, none of those should be going anywhere or providing any motor assist if the user isn't pedalling.

There's also a massive difference between cadence sensing and torque sensing bikes. The latter won't go anywhere without the user working up a sweat!

The legal e-bikes ones aren't mopeds, as I'm sure you know.

What about gravel/mountain bikes with pedal assist? They're not 'electric mopeds'.
yea, they are the actual "Ebikes" for some reason the media has brainwashed everyone into thinking those Electric Motor Bikes are infact Ebikes.

won't someone think of poor little jonny the local radgie, poor thing just minding his own business on his ebike and the police gave chase for no reason at all.
Sounds a lot better than
"Local thug dressed like a ninja menacing estate on illegal 50mph+ electrified motor bike chased by police"

Most likely stolen as well, since the bikes cost around £5000, so either stolen, drug dealer or rich parents on a council estate

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom