Don't Pay UK

Permabanned
We'll miss you when you stop putting money in your meter. When do you plan to start your protest? :p
Next summer when I start generating enough energy to keep my batteries filled again ;). Til then I’ll continue using my fit payments to fill my meter:p

165-DCE0-B-7-CAB-4-BA4-8509-CE13-A088-DD48.png

Soldato
we didn’t though. We still aren’t back to pre pandemic levels and we dropped the biggest drop. Whereas all our neighbours recovered back to pre pandemic levels last year and have grown since.

its basically we have been sick ever since 2016. It’s not been that noticeable but covid showed it up for what it was and now everything is creaking and falling apart.
I don't know which data you are looking at but we are above pre pandemic levels and the recovery was clearly V shaped on any gdp graph you look at.

Soldato
I’ve been following the energy related comments posted on Twitter, other social media and the major news sites for over a year. There is a general lack of understanding in the UK of how the energy system works. Which means the reasons for protest are not valid.
  • Energy suppliers aren’t making more than 5% profit, so not billions. It doesn’t help everytime Centrica profits are reported it’s headlined as ‘British Gas owner Centrica has made £xbn‘:rolleyes:
  • Energy producers don’t set the energy wholesale prices - they just happen to benefit from the high price.
  • Along with loads of other price cap, wholesale cost etc.. misunderstandings.
However with all of that said - it is definitely uncomfortable reading about high profits from the energy producers, when a large part of the population are struggling financially to meet rising energy costs.

Something has to be done - protesting by not paying energy bills is not the answer !

-> Short term : I expect the Government will step in ahead of the October price cap increase and provide more financial help, on top of what has already been done.
-> Medium term : Energy policies are being reviewed with the aim of improving the pricing model and looking at options of de-coupling gas and renewable pricing.
-> Long term : Investment is ramping up for renewable and nuclear energy generation. This will remove the reliance on gas and start to move consumers into a residential electric (and Hydrogen) future.

Caporegime
People protesting by not paying will not make the energy companies lower prices lol.

What might happen is more government debt as government help out.
Or more firms go bust or just leave the UK.

Remember, these big boys are international.

Permabanned
Yeah misdirected perhaps but they have no point of contact with the producers, they have shielded themselves. It’s desperate times for a lot of people so desperate measures is what they will take. I understand it, I support it, wether it’s right or wrong something needs to be done. So put pressure on the government in any way you can.

Caporegime
One thing I don't understand.. Let's say BP say "enough is enough, stop raiding our profits" and how difficult would it be to leave the UK?

I know they are fairly entrenched

Caporegime
Yeah misdirected perhaps but they have no point of contact with the producers, they have shielded themselves. It’s desperate times for a lot of people so desperate measures is what they will take. I understand it, I support it, wether it’s right or wrong something needs to be done. So put pressure on the government in any way you can.

We still have to pay for it. If the government pay for it. We pay for it

Soldato
Actually the UK is exporting gas to the EU from our grid. Permissions have been given and the pipeline is open.

So get away with your petty Brexit peevishness. :p

We have been exporting 75 million cubic metres of gas to Belgium and Holland through our interconnectors every day

The suggestion was that Europe could, collectively, regulate the price of gas, and then ration it to make sure nobody runs out. That would mean:

a) Working constructively with the EU.
b) Accepting gas rationing so that countries like Germany and Poland won't run out of gas even if Russia shuts off all exports to Europe.

There's just no way that plays well in this country, particularly with the government we currently have.

Soldato
Other countries are not having the same problems with fuel cost the UK is ; Spain is 30p per litre cheaper than the UK is right now (my son is in madrid today). Its UK policy problem not a cartel problem.

Green tax is 5% now - stop reading the Daily Mail and blaming everything on `herp derp Greta`. The UK only has 2 working nuclear reactors as of today - that is the problem, cutting taxes for the rich and not building out for the future. Fracking? You want to wreck the limited water supply we have?

Russian Gas - no the UK doesnt use much of it - if Norway turned the taps off, we would be screwed though, from the very next day.

For heavens sake! Are we really going to go down the simply disproved argument of 'unchecked capitalism' when the simple answer as to why people in the UK pay more for petrol and diesel than people in Spain is the taxation levied on these fuels by the respective governments!

This is a long running trend (for the UK to be amongst one of the most highly taxed countries for petrol and diesel) for much longer than the last decade and through multiple governments from coalitions, Labour and the Conservatives

So much like many people on these pages you seen to not have the faintest idea of what the words you throw out mean!

'Unchecked capitalism' - what absolute nonsense

The Spanish just choose to (directly) tax their population less and consequently pay out less per capita as a result. Some older figures but I doubt the long standing pattern has changed...

If you think cutting government taxes AND spending less (per capita) will help constrain 'unchecked capitalism' in the UK then please feel free to advocate on that basis!

It really is funny that you blame my view on 'reading the Daily Mail' when you resort to such nonsense as blaming 'unchecked capitalism' for the UK's current fuel price and give Spain as an example of somewhere doing better in this regard.

'herp derp mUh uNChecKeD cAPitaLISm....' apparently you need to stop reading so much nonsense on the internet!

The blame bit for the UK government was in quotes ' '

....maybe you should go look up what that means? (hint in means I was indicating that the UK government can't actually do that much to influence the prices we are paying for petrol, diesel, electricity and gas without causing some major issues elsewhere like for example a massive loss of tax revenue or environmental issues)

And as has previous been said it doesn't really matter that we get most of gas from Norway because we aren't the only customers for their gas and so if the worlds supply is affected elsewhere this will still affect the price we pay for gas from Norway

Last edited:
Soldato
It was reported this morning on radio 4 that the OPEC+ countries are producing oil at the levels they were pre pandemic and that there is very little slack in the system for them to increase production any higher. There was a mention that they might be able to increase by 100,000 barrels of oil per day but that would make very little difference in the price of oil that people would hardly notice it.

doesn't seem to chime with what the BBC website says on the matter...

In June of this year OPEC + were producing 'some two and a half million barrels a day less than in spring 2020'

and since then we have had:

'For July and August, Opec+ had agreed to add more than 600,000 barrels a day to the market.
But after the latest meeting, Opec+ decided it would raise oil output by just 100,000 barrels per day from September in what some analysts described as an insult.''

With there having been no other increase in oil production in June (in fact a small decline from the previous month for the OPEC members)

So that's still around 1.2 million barrels a day short by September of this year assuming OPEC meet their targets (which they have failed to do previously, see above)

The facts are simple... oil producers could (not immediately) increase output by 'pumping' investment into increasing extraction.... but they are not stupid and can see a looming world recession on the horizon which will likely dampen the demand for oil and so why would they increase production and do their own legs when the worlds economy takes a downturn when they can say that their existing extraction infrastructure is, in some places, near capacity (which is true) whilst they sit back and reap the financial rewards in the here and now of higher prices?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it will gain some traction but nowhere near a million people, there is lots of videos about it spreading on tiktok, but I have also seen some videos on there warning people of the consequences of defaulting on their bills.

The UK population as a whole I just think isnt capable of mass protest. It has been groomed to be very compliant and self serving.

Soldato
I think it will gain some traction but nowhere near a million people, there is lots about spreading on tiktok, but I have also seen some videos on there warning people of the consequences of defaulting on their bills.

The UK population as a whole I just think isnt capable of mass protest. It has been groomed to be very compliant and self serving.
All that will happen is the long term anti bill payers will be put on a pre-payment meter. Meaning if they don’t add their own energy credit (at higher cost than a DD account) then they have no gas or electric.
Basically putting themesleves in a worse position and making it harder in the future to get any credit.

Soldato
The suggestion was that Europe could, collectively, regulate the price of gas, and then ration it to make sure nobody runs out. That would mean:

a) Working constructively with the EU.
b) Accepting gas rationing so that countries like Germany and Poland won't run out of gas even if Russia shuts off all exports to Europe.

There's just no way that plays well in this country, particularly with the government we currently have.

That would also mean that countries like Italy accept restrictions on usage to help their confreres, the Germans. There seems little solidarity within the EU camp so being critical of the UK when we are assisting with their situation seems very petty.

We are with the EU, we have the same aspirations for democracy in Europe. We do not need their ever closer political union and we can cooperate equally well nation to nation as we are.

Germany has made some poor decisions recently with energy provision. We closed down our coal and are currently closing nuclear to go for gas, not ideal however we are going back to nuclear as a backup for our renewables. Germany is closing down its nuclear and reopening 13Gw of coal power stations to backup it's renewables also needing gas.

However much gas can be rationed in Europe it will not cover Germanys use without coal. Britain will do its part in cooperation with the EU to assist.

Back
Top Bottom