Doom Eternal

Soldato
Not just me then. Played about half an hour last night and my first thoughts were “This looks different”... The trainer guides look really cheap and tacked on too.

Soldato
Also, far too many attachments and suit attachments things. It's a button fest.

If it were me I would open the levels way up and have doom guy run faster like classic doom, and have hit scan enemies. Basically make it doom again!

Man of Honour
Seeing super high marks from the critics but the general consensus on most player forums I've looked at is a mixed one. Interested still but not £50s worth of interested, might pick up later once its circa £20

Associate
Seeing super high marks from the critics but the general consensus on most player forums I've looked at is a mixed one. Interested still but not £50s worth of interested, might pick up later once its circa £20

Yeah ditto. I heard it's cheaper on the Bethesda store but...that means installing yet another launcher.

Caporegime
Got stuck straight away on the first level lol, no idea where to go, just seem to be jumping everywhere like a platformer?

wtf this is DOOM not Mario :D

I'm about 75% complete.

Problem is it's quite frustrating and unforgiving to play in comparison to DOOM 2016.
I think an lot of people will give up quickly because they keep dying over and over.
The platforming is another thing of frustration, until you get use to it.
I don't like how it does not auto grab on a normal jump or double jump towards an wall, yet it does on dashing.

The equipment launcher, flame belch, freeze bomb and retracting blade glory kills are awesome.
And the The Fortress of Doom in orbit above the earth is really cool to.

But I think 2016 has better pacing and overall level design.
So I'd probably give Eternal an 80% score.
It has moved forward and progressed in some areas, but has gone backwards in others.

Caporegime
It has moved forward and progressed in some areas, but has gone backwards in others.

Pretty much my thoughts on it.

Maybe due to not having played Doom 2016 for ages, but at first I really struggled, however, as time went on I started to enjoy it more.

With more ammo now after a few hours in, I'd say to anyone interested, stick with it for a bit longer. I'm also not a huge fan of the platforming but I don't mind it that much.

So, on one hand, a step forward for me, and on the other, a regression.

Soldato
Wow I thought i'd get eaten alive for saying that Doom 2016 is better but there actually seems to be more people in agreement in this thread than disagreement.

I ended up getting about five to six hours in and then ditching it for Black Mesa, which i'm having a lot more fun with. I just don't like this ammo system, it's not what Doom stands for and I never wanted an extra twenty thousand button binds either. Just give me a gun, glory kills and the hordes of hell and let me do it the way I want to do it.

I may come back to it in the future but for now i'll just play 2016 for my fix. Personally i'm giving Eternal a 6/10. I can see the appeal but it's just not for me. Of course, i'd have liked to know this before shelling out on the Steam version but I don't watch Dev interviews so there you go.

Back
Top Bottom