down sizing i7 860

Soldato
Delidding worked nicely for me. Flat razor blades like you get at the barber work well because they bend a bit and are thinner. I actually got some from the barber rather than buy a box of 200. CLU between die and IHS and then Kryonaut between IHS and heatsink.

Soldato
OP
Delidding worked nicely for me. Flat razor blades like you get at the barber work well because they bend a bit and are thinner. I actually got some from the barber rather than buy a box of 200. CLU between die and IHS and then Kryonaut between IHS and heatsink.

I've got Hydronaut which works just slightly under Kryonaut but was hoping to use their Conductonaut instead of CLU. Heard its a lot higher in terms of thermal conductivity 73W/mk vs 38.4 or is this not recommended ?

got the delid kit on pre-order from here :D

Soldato
I'd forgotten about Conductonaut. I think the difference is 1-2°C from what I've read. Can't remember why I went with CLU, it might just have been that it was out of stock or it might have been that Conductonaut was not tested yet. I have a vague memory about it not lasting as long or not staying put...but that could have been the Phyobia stuff which is quite cheap. Worth a read though.

Soldato
OP
Right, Trident 16GB 3466mhz RGB is on order. System really doesn't like the 3400s and the new kit is supported this time around.

Got to do a quick bench wihlth Ashes, not regrets not getting an i7 and happy with the upgrade from the 860!!

DX11 i5 7600k@ 4.8/4.5

i7 860 @3.8

DX12

DX12 CPU

So, 25-30 fps increase in DX11, 20 in DX12 and 10 increase CPU bound.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
RPG!!!!... or RGB......

quickly installed Phanteks Starts kit

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £23.89
(includes shipping: £9.90)

Some reason my OS is corrupt with so many motherboard installs, the worst being the Last ASUS P55 so none of the STRIX software works like the AURA.....

solution will be solved with a nice 512GB PM961 and fresh install but lighting at its default (poor phone shots)

Lighting on the IO has a rainbow effect but when it hits the solid strips, it just mimics a solid colour. May just be down to lack of software editing but if this is the case, will just stick with one strip at the bottom.
Im not a huge fan for RGB but my son loves the stuff at 17 months old. Trident RGB should be here monday too!

just hoping the glass panel doesn't take to long to be shipped from Jonsbo =/

Soldato
OP
Ram is here ! Works , XMP works and able to manually overclock at last !!

Quick poor snap ! By default it follows the rainbow marque effect of the IO shield which is great news !

Damn it ! Images should be the other way around ! The led strip takes the last colour of the IO led and displays that full until the new colour runs through
Software update will be out soon

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks cool to me. How is the lighting on the RAM controlled? A lead plugged into an Aurora header on the motherboard or does it read it off the memory bus in a devious fashion?

Soldato
OP
Hand was forced into parting ways with the STRIX 980Ti and into getting a STRIX 1070 OC

aye, no real point Hardware wise to upgrade from one to the other but this build is part my own rig and part demo....

was hoping to land a broken Strix 1*** or RX but nothing :(

photos recycled from the mATX version but this time around its OC version.
and yeah, no way I was gonna pay retail price for this!

Least now the Silent Wing fans can be controlled directly by the card its self, that he first silver lining, second is that GPX Pro unit will be out the the card soon so will be under its own water-eco system, again the card controlling its own Radiator fans :)

** asus choking market again, hard to find non-oc version not in retail =/

Soldato
OP
once again stuff arrives when my lunch break is about to end .

quick shots and a video .

will bench and then change thermal paste with a round of cable management - check the Strix fan controller Vs the Mobo's and get the DSLR out :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still need to get around to sorting out some cable management but had a Samsung 960 Pro 512GB arrive today.
Used ASUS clone software to move from the PM 961 to it, very simple really :D

PM961 will be used in two upcoming builds , but wanted to have a see how they both stack up

Total: £905.67
(includes shipping: £8.70)

yep, i know the EVO is a better priced product then the PRO , but no chance in hell i was paying any of those prices from any drives :D

Top left is PM961 and bottom is the 960 PRO

Latest samsung Drivers installed from the PRO, but forgot to check the Firmware. I might also copy from the PRO back over to the PM961 on a partitioned drive just to see if it will work with the Force 960 drivers on there as it doesn't work doing it from stand alone. Seen forums were uses have had the 960 first and installed the PM/SM afterwards and have better speeds then others that have't had the driver updates.

Will note the 4k speeds did flag up a bit, might have to try best of 3 and Firmware update

Soldato
OP
Ordered once of these yesterday :D Glad to see an option to allow the lovely backplate.
Also saw in the manual, 1.5mm thermal pads are used throughout so some Grizzly Minus Pad 8 made it into the bucket too! hopefully enough to do the contact between the back of the PCB and backplate.

Total: £138.65
(includes shipping: £8.70)

WC00RPT_159833_285x255.jpg
WC00RPT_159834_285x255.jpg

Alphacool 150 Eisbecher Reservoir also been ordered. Hoping with just enough space , should mount to the 120 fan space above the ram slots. EKWB SE will also get an inline temp sensor to hook up to the board to monitor water temp as it leaves the radiator cooled. Hoping anything under 31c will be good, as both i5 7600k @4.9Ghz on 1.264v & Strix 1070 OC will be on the single 240.
Have a few of the cheap plastic quick connects from alphacool , will be used so GPU can be taken out, unfortunately will have to stick with the 11/8mm tubing due to this . Bit of an experiment this, could have easily done without the res but figured would look good with the RGB ram stick with clear water in the loop.

Soldato
Looks nice. Why has nobody built an upside down graphics card?! It'd show off the shiny block (and lighting) nicely in normal builds (non-inverted). Sure, it would probably take out a PCI-E slot above the card.....but it wouldn't then take out a slot below the card and if you're building a fairly minimal PC that's not a problem.
At least Phanteks have left the acrylic edge exposed so you can see the edge light.

Soldato
OP
Looks nice. Why has nobody built an upside down graphics card?! It'd show off the shiny block (and lighting) nicely in normal builds (non-inverted). Sure, it would probably take out a PCI-E slot above the card.....but it wouldn't then take out a slot below the card and if you're building a fairly minimal PC that's not a problem.
At least Phanteks have left the acrylic edge exposed so you can see the edge light.

haha, i remember my first SLi system was when it was first released and with the Gigabyte card that had heatpipes and the main heatsink at the back fo the card with a fan. so you could actually see them thing cool :D

I've got a build coming up with Raijinteks Thetis which would show off the card, will be watercooling a Gigabyte 1080 Turbo card but the cost of £120 verse an alphacool £64 block led me to go the boring route. would have looked good as the Board is the Ultra Gaming z270 but need to keep costs down

if there wasnt fans in the bottom, a mirror would have been a nice touch . Speaking of bottom fans, owners of UMX4s have all come to the conclusion no matter what fans you have installed at the bottom, you'll get high tunneling sounds if the fans push a certain amount of air regardless of static pressure. Result is due to the grill design at the bottom and causes some really choppy flow. Should be able to run the Silent wings at 900rpm like the rear one but sitting at 700rpm as any more and sound gets amplified tenfold . think i', gonna have to have a little hack at it. Changing filter/mesh at the bottom has no effect

Soldato
I have a similar thing with the grill on my overkill rad. It can only fit 20mm fans (25mm at a push) - which I think is a bit of a design flaw. If you put fans in at any sort of speed it makes the most horrible wailing noise. Thought the fans were really bad at first - they were as it turned out, but it wasn't the fans making the worst of the noise!

Soldato
OP
I have a similar thing with the grill on my overkill rad. It can only fit 20mm fans (25mm at a push) - which I think is a bit of a design flaw. If you put fans in at any sort of speed it makes the most horrible wailing noise. Thought the fans were really bad at first - they were as it turned out, but it wasn't the fans making the worst of the noise!

Spoke with Jonsbo, hopefully issue with the case only accepting 27mm max rads will be corrected in the future. Very easy to do :D
Will have to pass on feed back about the bottom grill causing the sound.

Seems this person Build will be on Hold for a bit, Magnus and Yernz Build to do in a very short time frame, both air and water

Soldato
OP
Did receive this yesterday due to current one getting coil whine with the Z270 and none with the old P55 :(

Build quality is good, looks are tenfold over the old Corsair

Nice rubber gasket at the front, keynote!! there's longer screws for it in the box!

Such a shame the unit wasn't 100% modular, specially with its price tag....

Out with the old - oh tape is to hold silent loop/eisbaer backplate when mounting! such a poor design!

Size difference! must admit the AX is awesome for its size!

In with the new- just need to remove all the old cables and install the new ones =/

Oh, and a shot of how close using an EKWB SE 240 is on the UMX4

for those that dont know, max rad thickness you can have is 27mm with 25mm fans. and the SE will only fit in Pull due to the unit hitting the PSU bracket

Last edited:
Soldato
That does seem an odd decision to not make the ATX modular too. Obviously for 99.99% of uses you must have the ATX connected but it still opens up the options for after market custom cable lengths or sleeved wiring. I really don't understand why they don't just use the same socket on the PSU as is on the motherboard and have straight-forward one-to-one wiring. Would make it so much easier for sleeving etc.

Incidentally I'd avoid following the pic links to photo bucket at the moment as it tried to infect my phone with malware. Probably a dodgy advert/banner but it'd be nice if they made sure such things were clean before they inflict them upon you. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
That does seem an odd decision to not make the ATX modular too. Obviously for 99.99% of uses you must have the ATX connected but it still opens up the options for after market custom cable lengths or sleeved wiring. I really don't understand why they don't just use the same socket on the PSU as is on the motherboard and have straight-forward one-to-one wiring. Would make it so much easier for sleeving etc.

Incidentally I'd avoid following the pic links to photo bucket at the moment as it tried to infect my phone with malware. Probably a dodgy advert/banner but it'd be nice if they made sure such things were clean before they inflict them upon you. :rolleyes:

:( im hoping no one clicks on them and just views them... mmmm

still left a bad taste buying another 750w Platinum PSU. hoping to sell it on the Bay, just got to test the Unit on another build for coil whine

Soldato
OP
whilst im waiting for OCUK to get stock in of Phanteks Strix waterblock....

Modular experiment

need to rotate the Eisbaer 90 clockwise , will straighten up the cables a bit and loop the red CPU to blue Rad tube over the one above it .

loop goes CPU to 240 to GPU to 120 and back :) will get a log to follow.

Back
Top Bottom