down sizing i7 860

Soldato
OP
Check snaps before comes changes come into play

wCeK3uZ.jpg

Phanteks Strix block has been shipped today, expect it to be mated to the board Tuesday and wet on wednesday

Temp sensor will be added to check water temp to see if fluid hits 32c or below. any higher and will add a 120 to the rear

WC9EGEK_161745_285x255.png
WC00RPT_159834_285x255.jpg

then will pull the trigger on EKs mono block :D since the Glass Panel is black ***forgot to say recieved a glass panel! just the front ***.
Strip lighting is nice but struggles to light up the whole case, so having components light up rather then the case as a whole looks miles better- Trident sticks being prime example

Last edited:
Associate
Those Phanteks blocks look stunning and it'll pair very nicely with that EK CPU block :)

Wish I'd have known Phanteks were going to do an MSI 1080 version though as I would have waited!

Soldato
OP
Those Phanteks blocks look stunning and it'll pair very nicely with that EK CPU block :)

Wish I'd have known Phanteks were going to do an MSI 1080 version though as I would have waited!

can you MM your current block ? or hit the bay ?

Few other cases i've built with RGB requests do light up light an xmas tree and hate it! but the glass is so darkened, all you see is the glow of the Lights but the rest of the case internals are still blacked out :D
only describe its effect as .....

images

really hating my new phone's picture quality... think I might have to try a 3rd party software, 16MP looking like 5!

Hoping I can get some solid camera shots of the block its self then installed Tuesday :)

will be taking out the Silent loop Wednesday, quick cut in the outlet tube to drain and hook up to the card. once installed. flip the case upside down and fill via one the GPU blocks bottom ports :)

Associate
Could possibly return it but the problem is I've mounted the reservoir & cut pass-through holes in the floor to line up perfectly with the EK block now... D'OH!

IMG_20170314_144719.jpg

Thought my Nexus 6 was bad enough for image quality but never would have guessed that was 16MP mate, hopefully it's a decent lens and it's just crap software letting it down :)

Look forward to seeing this build progress :)

Soldato
OP
Could possibly return it but the problem is I've mounted the reservoir & cut pass-through holes in the floor to line up perfectly with the EK block now... D'OH!

IMG_20170314_144719.jpg

Thought my Nexus 6 was bad enough for image quality but never would have guessed that was 16MP mate, hopefully it's a decent lens and it's just crap software letting it down :)

Look forward to seeing this build progress :)

hopefully, chinese phone- elephone S7 and thanks :)

sent you a PM about your light housing. creates such an amazing effect !

wondering if the chances of the Phanteks block matching EKs position holes would be.....

Associate
The luck I've had so far with the build it'd be lucky if the holes were in the same postcode :D

Will go read it now mate :)

Soldato
OP
Thought id get some decent pictures up before the Phanteks Strix block goes into the loop with the Silent Loop AIO, which wont last long as EKs mono block will be going in. Temp sensor will be fitted during the temp set up, hoping water sits around 32c max, if not i'll add another 240 at the bottom

Recently got myself a Hoya Pro-1 Digtal Filter in hope is makes capturing tempered glass and RGB cases more easier. Currently still plaing around but with the glass/see through panel off its better not to use the filter and it makes the RGB a bit flat

And with the filter and darkened glass panel on

Strix Mobo block should light up the dark spot in the middle just nicely with the Phantek block adding a nice strobe effect across the hard- least I hope the LED in it can mimic the rainbow effect of the IO/Ram.
Might also have to look into a frosted cover/diffuser for the bottom LED strip

Key im also finding out is getting as dark as you can get the room ( ok i took the shot at 11am today and was sunny as hell) and positioning off center and above works nicely

without filter

with

also a note to self, set the AURA to set colour instead of waiting for it to cycle through haha

also second note, to take photos of an open case with light, again much better detailed image and lighting

got a different approach to adding a radiator to the bottom (which is a massive pain and the HDD removal requires me removing half the frame! instead of screwing from the top into the plate they did it the other way around then wrapped the U frame around afterwards!)

BP-140RADH-BK--1024X768-3.jpg

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitspower-120-radiator-holder-wc-337-bp.html

mount on top of the 2x 120 Silent Wing 3s. would avoid using an RGB fans though as would just be to much. leaves me the option to run the the GPU on a separate lop or tie in with CPU

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I Present, Phanteks Glacier STRIX

one bad point, the finish on the contact side is poor... GPU raise you can clearly see the machining. Intels stock cooler has a smoother finish!
To lazy to polish the Die and Ram contact area but with the rest of the product and box looking above par, was really shocking to see!

BUTT CRACK^^^ feels real good too :(

Last edited:
Associate
Saw another build with the same comments re not polishing the contact areas. Not great considering the price but still, that is one beautiful looking block!

Soldato
OP
Saw another build with the same comments re not polishing the contact areas. Not great considering the price but still, that is one beautiful looking block!

wouldn't of minded if it wasnt on the contact areas or even just to the ram section but on the Die area.... will fire off an email to Phanteks and caseking to see if this is just due to first batch

have a feeling like Alphacool and EK designed in the UK but produced in China without close QC and its just been coated without fine milling . Remind me of my first EK block when they first started to mass produce....

yep, you can actually feel the butt crack on the die contact area.... ffs!

shame as well, 3 LED strips have been milled out but only 2 are filled with all 3rd party blocks but FE edition has 3 ....

Last edited:
Associate
Damn, that really isn't good. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they were aiming for the budget end of the market but when competing at the premium end that's awful.

Like you say maybe this is just a first batch issue and it'll be fixed ASAP, hopefully with replacements sent to the people who purchased an early one.

Soldato
OP
Damn, that really isn't good. Wouldn't be quite so bad if they were aiming for the budget end of the market but when competing at the premium end that's awful.

Like you say maybe this is just a first batch issue and it'll be fixed ASAP, hopefully with replacements sent to the people who purchased an early one.

sent an email to both, maybe OCUK would be able to check Ti blocks coming in. Im sure people might be put off slapping a half done job on a £600+ card .
No idea if Phanteks will read the email but hopefully get a reply.

will be Thursday earliest I can get the card plumbed in, see how the temps do and the contact with Grizzly paste is

Soldato
OP
thought i'd post a quick snap of the Phanteks Strix block on the card.
got digital snaps but will be end of week before uploading

should be a tight fit, but hoping to cut the outlet hose (closest to camera) and attached outlet to the inlet of the GPU, which is on the left side. The use a 45 to connect the hose going to the rad. going to be tight but is a stop gap till I can get EKWBs strix block in .

will just fill by turning upside down and filling up by one of the bottom GPU ports :)

In theory the Eisbaer can handle its self, a 360 rad and GPX block which is very restrictive. Silent/eiswolf is based on same design with a little less head pressure. will be a good experiment and have a water sensor going to the outlet of the Radiator to see how the water temps are

Associate
Thought id get some decent pictures up before the Phanteks Strix block goes into the loop with the Silent Loop AIO, which wont last long as EKs mono block will be going in. Temp sensor will be fitted during the temp set up, hoping water sits around 32c max, if not i'll add another 240 at the bottom

Recently got myself a Hoya Pro-1 Digtal Filter in hope is makes capturing tempered glass and RGB cases more easier. Currently still plaing around but with the glass/see through panel off its better not to use the filter and it makes the RGB a bit flat

And with the filter and darkened glass panel on

Strix Mobo block should light up the dark spot in the middle just nicely with the Phantek block adding a nice strobe effect across the hard- least I hope the LED in it can mimic the rainbow effect of the IO/Ram.
Might also have to look into a frosted cover/diffuser for the bottom LED strip

Key im also finding out is getting as dark as you can get the room ( ok i took the shot at 11am today and was sunny as hell) and positioning off center and above works nicely

without filter

with

also a note to self, set the AURA to set colour instead of waiting for it to cycle through haha

also second note, to take photos of an open case with light, again much better detailed image and lighting

got a different approach to adding a radiator to the bottom (which is a massive pain and the HDD removal requires me removing half the frame! instead of screwing from the top into the plate they did it the other way around then wrapped the U frame around afterwards!)

BP-140RADH-BK--1024X768-3.jpg

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitspower-120-radiator-holder-wc-337-bp.html

mount on top of the 2x 120 Silent Wing 3s. would avoid using an RGB fans though as would just be to much. leaves me the option to run the the GPU on a separate lop or tie in with CPU

God I love that case. great size for ATX - I am really fed up with the big towers and would luv to go ITX, but will have to change the whole rig which just isnt worth it.

Was it as good to use as it looks?

Martin.

Soldato
OP
Case is lovely , small and thin, the air scoop does add a bit of height but build quality is up there with Li Lian, Silverstone and InWin !

Few snags, top can only house a 27mm rad at max ! Lot of people use deepcool AIOs to fit in. could have easily been made to house 30mm and plus which is a same.

Removing the HDD is a pain ! Inside of screwing in the rack once the case was assembled they did it from the underneath on the base plate then wrapped the frame around. Have to take base plate out to remove .
Also the holes for fans at the bottom are tapped to M3 thread, again bit of a pain if you wanted to use a different threaded rad.

Glass is nicely darkened , more then most which I like as it makes RGB glow and stand out rather then making your build look like Vegas :)

If you want even smaller, only using a single card, and liked inverted design, go for Raijintek thetis. Did a build with that and great quality again ! Bit more limited in size with PSU though but shows off water blocks just nicely

Soldato
OP
so OCUK sending out replacement Silent Wing 3 fan for the rad, currently only running on one.
Did quick bench with the one fan at max, 40C for the Strix @ 2155 & 55c for the 7600k @ 4.9, water temp is 32c

Lots of snaps!

Phanteks block on the Strix; Grizzy Paste and Pad 8 used!

Block Installed! flipped upside down and filled through bottom of the GPU port hole

RGB to follow later :)

Back
Top Bottom