Draught Beer/Lager at home?

Pug

Pug

Soldato
So what's the verdict on the blade?

I see they all have benefits, and no doubt the machine quality increases as you go up in price, but the beer prices work out similarly.

I'd there I benefit to one over the other?

Sub, PD or blade?

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends what you are looking to drink I guess, certain machines only do certain beers which might influence your decision.

I prefer the blade personally, but that’s purely down to the beers available!

@200sols has a few different machines I think so he might be able to give you more info.

Soldato
So tempted by a Perfect Draft machine but looks like I'll have to wait for stock. Aldi are supposed to be getting some for £199 which seems a good deal.

Soldato
I have a Perfect Draft, and it’s great!
It’s not cheap, but it’s so much nicer than a can/bottle. You get £5 off for returned kegs as well which helps and a 15% discount if you buy three a time from Beerhawk.

Substantially cheaper machine than the Blade, good beer choice and they are releasing new beers every couple of months.
It really depends what you like to drink, check what’s available. Perfect Draft seems more Belgian style and pale ales whereas the Blade seems more lager based.

The machine isn’t too big. I love it.

@robj20 - the Aldi machines have been and gone. Best place is checking Beerhawk around 2pm for a bundle. £279 for a machine, two glasses and a keg is the going price.

Soldato
Shame Costco also have none in.
I'll just have to check each day I guess.

The Royal Catering beer dispenser also looks good fits standard 5l kegs, adjustable temp and pressure.

Last edited:
Soldato
PD + blade.

Blade is better quality as I said before, but beer quality is pretty similar with both.... better than pub pints.

IMO the edelweiss wheat beer on the blade is better than the Hoegaarden on the PD, the blade selection has definitely improved into better beers, Lagunitas IPA is good while the PD seems to be following the rubbish, I mean they just released Tennent's dishwater.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
No love for the krups?

I quite like the idea of 2L subs as they're easier to prechill and after a few pints you can swap for something different?

What's the time for these from fridge to drinking? If the machine needs to cool extra?

Soldato
PD + blade.

Blade is better quality as I said before, but beer quality is pretty similar with both.... better than pub pints.

IMO the edelweiss wheat beer on the blade is better than the Hoegaarden on the PD, the blade selection has definitely improved into better beers, Lagunitas IPA is good while the PD seems to be following the rubbish, I mean they just released Tennent's dishwater.
Think I'll have a look at the Blade.

Soldato
PD + blade.

Tennent’s was by far their best seller, so it clearly appeals.

You’ve got Goose IPA on PD as well as Drunken Sailor which is far better than Lagunitas.

I just looked on beerwulf and the majority of beers available look like lagers. And there are only around 20 different beers. No stout either?
Far more choice on the PD!

No love for the krups?

I quite like the idea of 2L subs as they're easier to prechill and after a few pints you can swap for something different?

What's the time for these from fridge to drinking? If the machine needs to cool extra?

I keep a keg in the fridge to prechill and then put it in once I’ve poured the final pint of the one in the machine. By the time that’s finished the new keg is at 3 degrees. Machine takes around an hour to cool per degree.
Also, with the PD you can take part full kegs out and put something else in. I’ve done it a few times where I’ve been s drinking a Stronger beer or a stout and want a few lagers. Just unplug it, it’s fully sealed, and put the new one in.

tbey say a keg lasts 30 days once first opened. I’ve never got past 6 though...

I think the PD v Blade argument is a bit like Nvidia V AMD. Both have loyal fans which say the one they use is better. Best thing to do is check Beerhawk (for PD) and beerwulf (for blade) and see which one has the beers you prefer and buy that one. You won’t be disappointed in either I’m sure.

Soldato
You’ve got Goose IPA on PD as well as Drunken Sailor which is far better than Lagunitas.

Disagree with that! I found Drunken sailor overly bitter and not that good. Goose island is good, my fav on the PD is Clwb.

I think the PD v Blade argument is a bit like Nvidia V AMD.

Nah, I do have both machines so my comments are not those of a fanboy.

Soldato
Has anyone tried the Pinter?

I know it's a different level and you're restricted to beers, but it seems to be more cost effective than most. I just struggle to justify a PD when the beers are ~£3 a pint and i can get some beers i enjoy a lot more in can form for that.

Soldato
Thanks, i was only looking at the headline price, i suppose with the additional discounts it's actually much better.

It's a weird thing where you have a machine and then add some pre-packaged ingredients, add water and leave it for a while to home brew yeah. It needs storing in the fridge though so i imagine that's part of why it's cheaper as they don't need to design a better unit. Works out around £1.30 a pint

https://thegreatergood.co.uk/

Soldato
Thanks, i was only looking at the headline price, i suppose with the additional discounts it's actually much better.

It's a weird thing where you have a machine and then add some pre-packaged ingredients, add water and leave it for a while to home brew yeah. It needs storing in the fridge though so i imagine that's part of why it's cheaper as they don't need to design a better unit. Works out around £1.30 a pint

https://thegreatergood.co.uk/

I think that looks good. Lots of complaints about poor quality components though which is a little off putting. Never tried homebrew so looks like an easy introduction to it.

Back
Top Bottom