Drones over gatwick..

Soldato
OP
Police are referring to the drone as an "Industrial type" or has an "industrial specification"

What exactly do they mean by this? are these drones really big? are they not the typical consumer type ones?

Associate
Police are referring to the drone as an "Industrial type" or has an "industrial specification"

What exactly do they mean by this? are these drones really big? are they not the typical consumer type ones?
My guess would be something like this (huge, can carry a 15kg payload, generally used for carrying massive video cameras etc) over the tiny Mavic drones typically bought by joe public!

Caporegime

Presumably, yes. As in not the sort you're going to buy from the Argos catalogue for your kids and/or for flying around with a little go pro camera.

Ordinarily I'd have assumed that "industrial drone" would imply one used by industry i.e. perhaps the drones used for wildlife documentaries/film makers, or indeed for large site inspections.

However it could well be just a throwaway term (in the same manner as say "military grade" is used) just to mean expensive/big etc... presumably these are big "drones" with a long range. Quite possibly not the quad copter sort at all... I mean if you really wanted to cause maximum trouble then you'd want to extend the flight time and perhaps build something more like an RC plane with a large wingspan.

Soldato
It's going to be very interesting to see what they bring to bear on this problem, and crucially - if they catch the perpetrators, who by now must surely be thinking *oh ****....*

I'm wondering whether the military have advanced forms of radar, or systems that can track or even jam very small objects - that they could use to better detect and track a small drone, as opposed to airport systems designed for planes.

Artillery barrage and flatten anything within 5 mile of the airport. No surrender!!

Soldato
Though given that drones can be both a nuisance and a potential security threat not just in airports it does seem a bit short sighted that police forces, especially those in and around London, are seemingly not well equipped to deal with them. Not to mention that they're partly responsible for the security of major airports like Gatwick.

The police are only now starting to realise the benefits of having drones themselves and able to invest in the equipment and training for it, and ultimately it tends to take an incident like this to kick things into gear, especially when funding is tight.

Sussex Police are contracted to provide a certain level of service to Gatwick, so presumably that contract doesn't include anti-drone capability!

Soldato
OP
I'm just gonna come out with it.

/tinfoil hat

Anyone think that Russia might be behind this? in terms of causing disruption in order to bring out our ability to mitigate these sorts of things into the open? They might be looking for something specific, or a certain type of technology they want us to deploy to test its effectiveness? (I know it seems far fetched... but... we know they like to mess around with things)

The reason I think this, is that as time goes on - the idea that it might be a protest is starting to waiver for me, as they probably would have claimed responsibility for it by now in some way or another...

I dunno, I'm just talking **** probably :D (but it's fun!)

Associate
I'm just gonna come out with it.

/tinfoil hat

Anyone think that Russia might be behind this? in terms of causing disruption in order to bring out our ability to mitigate these sorts of things into the open? They might be looking for something specific, or a certain type of technology they want us to deploy to test its effectiveness? (I know it seems far fetched... but... we know they like to mess around with things)

The reason I think this, is that as time goes on - the idea that it might be a protest is starting to waiver for me, as they probably would have claimed responsibility for it by now in some way or another...

I dunno, I'm just talking **** probably :D (but it's fun!)

I have actually thought this. They clearly like trying to wind us up by coming close to our airspace and seas. What a good way for them to show we are vulnerable.

Soldato
Aren't US airports owned by the state? Therefor they tend to invest in them more? UK ones are owned by private companies who only care about money, it generally takes a big event before they act.

One days worth of what they charge you to drop someone off at the airport would pay for the counter measures easy :mad:

Soldato
OP
If you look at what's happening now, the media interest is right at it's peak - and it's escalated to a very high level, if I were protesting and I wanted my message to be heard - now would be the time to say it, because I'd be getting the full force of the media to deliver that message, the fact they're staying quiet - to me seems unusual.

Also, the type of drones being described, (large, industrial) pretty much rules this out as a bunch of people just trying to cause a disturbance with some cheap rubbish they bought - whoever is doing it has obviously gone to a high degree of planning and expenditure, and it has to be said - they're doing a very good job so far..

I just get the feeling there's something bigger behind this, than a bunch of environmentalists or people wanting to cause a basic disturbance - why persist in this way to the point of getting the army called out?

I feel like I'm talking nonsense, but at the same time - I really do suspect there might be some bigger elements at play.

Also, if you remember the environmental protestors from a month or two back (who shut down all the bridges in London) they were fighting for airtime, fighting for interviews - doing everything they could to get their message out....

Associate
I call ******** on the whole thing (is there any footage?).Probably going to get some new extreme drone law pushed through parliament after this.

Associate
Seriously someone should start a poll on this thread.. not sure if the OP has to do it... Causes vote.

1. Kids got presents early
2. Activist group
3. Terror
4. State sponsored/tighten drone laws
5. Russia
6. Inside job (i think somone suggested that)
7. Boris bought some drones because he really wants his new airport
8. Aliens
9. Rogue AiI machines are rising against us..
10.Somebody keeps trying to order stuff from Amazon drone delivery but has the wrong postcode.
11. Brexit
12. Preventing the in-laws arriving for Christmas

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom