Drones over gatwick..

Man of Honour
It's an interesting tactic. Terrorists and ill wishers could just fly drones over the UK's major airports and military bases and basically shut them down for days on end. No need for bombs. The drones themselves could carry sarin gas or some other nasty element, so when shot down/destroyed the agent is released.

A 24 man team and less than £50,000 could do it.

On the other hand quite easy to counter - a few £100 of electronics and a "smart" missile (which is more like a UAV than a missile) which could be guided to target to disable it.

I’ve yet to see it the world record is 2 hrs 6 mins but that was tiny

That is the official record - but there are a number of projects that have run near 3 hour flight times not officially recorded.

Caporegime
Don't expect to see much. Videos are on Twitter now.

Do you have a link please?

I've just wasted time watching a video of a muslim woman banging on a glass door in an airport on the mirror website, if people are going to mention that "footage is available on XYZ" then a link would be helpful too.

Soldato
They just showed a cutting edge system, designed by 4 graduates, which could be the next big thing when it comes to anti-drone technology...

Basically a huge hand-held carbon fibre super-soaker type thing that fires a net. :D

It worked really well in the demo, where the drone was in a stationary hover within a stone-throw of the bloke firing it. Can't see it being much use in the real world though.

Associate
Sounds like this will go on through Saturday (sky news so could be bs). If they are coming out with that, they either have no clue what is going on or they know something serious is going on but don't want the public to know.

Associate
On the other hand quite easy to counter - a few £100 of electronics and a "smart" missile (which is more like a UAV than a missile) which could be guided to target to disable it.

That is the official record - but there are a number of projects that have run near 3 hour flight times not officially recorded.
Well I’m suprsised but I’m sure there tiny things pretty much a battery with rotors on

Just saw that footage it’s a mavic 2 ! Early Xmas present industrial drone my arse !

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Won’t that have geofencing?
Easily turned off 3rd party app like litchi

How can you tell from that footage?? It’s tiny.
I’ve spent years looking up at drones and I’ll bet £100 quid right now that’s a mavic 2
Looks about 2/300 ft at most and as it’s so tiny is the giveaway to me but hey it’s just speculation harmless but I think it’s a mavic running 3rd party app

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
This could go on until Christmas day, there's usually some disaster when you put the TV on in the morning. As good as the technology could be to thwart these low budget antagonists, I do think it's another reason for hyperloop to exist.

Soldato
Brexit causing our clueless politicians endless headaches yet our second most important airport bought to a standstill by an airborne Benny Hill sketch?
Jesus **** we have problems.

Back
Top Bottom