Drones over gatwick..

Soldato
There was a paper released today that highlights a 24% increase in homeless deaths in the last 5 years and the average lifespan of someone homeless is 44 years. It's likely a conservative MP trying to bomb the news with something less embarrassing. :p

This drone situation is far more embarrassing, addicts and mental health individuals who cannot look after themselves on the one hand, and a police and government who are powerless to do pretty much anything on the other.

Associate
So should someone strap a bomb to a drone, we actually have no way to defend against the attack?

In short. No.

From the way it's being handled now, unless there is 100% proof positive or enough of a belief that a drone is carrying an explosive, the forces, police or otherwise it appears will not fire into a civilian area.

So yeah. Looks like there's going to be a need for a disaster before the rules are changed over how things are handled.

Associate
There was a news item on earlier that showed a jammer manufacturer who displayed a jammer in operation. It only affected the drone & would only require 2 units for the size of Gatwick (3 for Heathrow)

Although you then require the services of security that can be trusted to man these stations, otherwise we could end up with anyone on them who could end up causing all sorts of other mischief. Just don't see an easy way to solve everything for this at this moment.

Soldato
Yeah, deploying something that blocks all GPS and mobile phone frequencies around an airport with planes that rely on all sorts of sensitive electrical equipment sounds like a great idea! :rolleyes:

It would only need a few min burst and all drones would fall out the sky.

Warning incoming planes when deploying, 5 min top and every drone would fail.

5min is nothing compared to hours of delays.

Soldato
Although you then require the services of security that can be trusted to man these stations, otherwise we could end up with anyone on them who could end up causing all sorts of other mischief. Just don't see an easy way to solve everything for this at this moment.

Cheaper than shutting the entire airport for 24+hrs.

I can't remember the manufacturer of the jammer but it looked like set and forget hardware. Obviously it needed to be powered which you could in theory use as a control method and therefore have it remotely switched.

Associate
Cheaper than shutting the entire airport for 24+hrs

True, not going to dispute that.

I can't remember the manufacturer of the jammer but it looked like set and forget hardware. Obviously it needed to be powered which you could in theory use as a control method and therefore have it remotely switched.

Anything that is not directly controlled on site can be taken over, therefore for security reasons, especially something like the device in question, better still to have it manned to prevent issues arising from it being "taken over" however temporarily and used for nefarious reasons. Something like this only needs one time for it to become serious. So can't be too lax over it.

Soldato
Alright guys i'm not one for conspiracy theorist crap but wtf is going on? No way this is a simple drone for Gatwick to still be down and Army called in. Battery life on these things isn't bloody 12 > 24 hours.... Something isn't right with this bs story.

Permabanned
Alright guys i'm not one for conspiracy theorist crap but wtf is going on? No way this is a simple drone for Gatwick to still be down and Army called in. Battery life on these things isn't bloody 12 > 24 hours.... Something isn't right with this bs story.
They're trying to find the guy, not shoot down the drone.

Permabanned
The drone keeps coming and going, just for long enough to stop the airport opening, the trick is finding out where it goes each time.

btw I'm not claiming anything, I read all this stuff on the BBC, you just gotta read it without the assumption that they're trying to shoot the thing.

Back
Top Bottom