Drones over gatwick..

He’s just gone to get some kip and charge up his batteries. Something tells me the drone will be back..

I reckon he should take a day or two off, perhaps just enough for them to give it the all clear for flights to resume etc... then hit them with it again.

He might be back, but from the sounds of it the drone isnt going to get very far.
Seems likely that they shipped in some equipment overnight to stop the drone.

I don’t think they needed to ship in anything last night as there was quite a lot of rain!

What is up your bum? Something like this happening was easily seen miles off when drones became a consumer product and we've the square root of **** all to protect places from their influence. It is absolutely beyond a joke that a major Airport in of the wealthiest cities in the world that depends on image to sell services.

This is only going to get worse, now that everyone sees how 'easy' it is to functionally cut a major artery in the economy off, it'll be devastating.
Slight change of tack there buddy. However, I will readily agree that this sort of stunt was pretty predictable; I find it hard to believe that our "Intelligence" services haven't seen it coming - perhaps you should apply for a job ;)

Still, I imagine that lots of money will now be diverted into closing that particular stable door.

He’s just gone to get some kip and charge up his batteries. Something tells me the drone will be back..
I am not convince that this was just a single "He", I suspect that it will eventually emerge on social media that it was a group of people, with more than one drone, operating from a variety of sites.

There were suggestions this morning that there might be an "Environmentalist" angle - or maybe it was just someone who wanted to get a good night's kip in readiness for Midnight Mass next week? ;)

There was always going to be a watershed moment in drone abuse, and this is it.

Its likely that the issue was dismissed, or given little thought as people all thought "it will be easy to solve if it ever happens". Turns out it was not quite so easy! Plans will now be put in place to stop it happening again.

I think FPV equipped quad interceptors on site makes the most sense. No new tech needed, there are operators out there who would do it and have the skills to make it work. It also could be implemented straight away as an interim measure if needed.

Anyone else think the only reason the drone has stopped appearing for now is the windy conditions?

Quite possibly, I guess there is the chance that now the military is involved there is a higher chance of detection so they’ve decided to back off.

I guess if they really want to cause problems they could hit a different airport now.

I am surprised that major airports have not invested in suitable technology to protect their income and assets. The law is there, but the protection should be provided and funded from users of the airport, passengers, airlines and commercial enterprises.

Wonder how severe the knee-jerk reaction of the government will be towards 'drones' and their operators?

More of an RC car person but I know a few people who are serious drone enthusiasts and can see a huge overreaction coming :(

It's all a little weird but then again this is a country where an inch of snow can shut down the rail services and bring the roads to a standstill.

Looking forward to the HBO drama about this.

Just wondering if the culprits are currently on their way to a different airport to start the “game” again?

This could escalate a lot further yet, and if the initial issue was something of a one off, I imagine a fair few groups with agendas will be formulating plans to do this to a different airport as a very effective tactic with little risk to them but a huge problem to the authorities?

The police will probably start treating all environmentalist protestors as terrorists in waiting on the back of this, just attending a protest will probably get you added to a watch list.

I've raced RC cars in my youth. One of the annoying things back then was when someone had the same frequency and they would take over controlling your car.

Isn't it possible to do that with drones? That if you are standing closer to a drone and on the same frequency, isn't it possible to take over the flying?

Back
Top Bottom