Drones over gatwick..

Having so much issue with a relatively large object, imagine if this was the size of a fly (definitely gated by technology/cost right now)? You could fly around with nary a peep from anyone and sabotage planes after checks, when will this country stop waiting for disaster to occur before preparing for it?

They must be pretty stupid considering news outlets have been describing tracking methods.

Edit - referring to the apparent recent sightings.

If this is / was a large commercial drone, as stated, then they aren't particularly quick or nimble. I know they're hard to get with a mobile phone camera, but if I can film a 3D helicopter going all over the sky from 100m away with a budget camcorder and make a decent video, someone should be able to get a shot of this thing that's good enough to identify it.

EDIT: I see it's started again. So, if anyone lives near Gatwick, get your cameras out!
It's a shame that Gatwick is over 3km long and most of those cameras are going to be at a distance that is well over 100m away...

There are large areas of the airport property where the only people who will have access will be those with specific clearances, which means most of the cameras are going to be from people in the "public" areas, or around the perimeter. Which effectively means the drone could easily be several hundred meters away from any group of cameras, especially if the person controlling it is trying to make sure it's a distance away from people.
This isn't taking pictures of something that wants to caught on camera, or even doesn't care about being caught on camera, this is taking pictures of something whose operator seems to be wanting to keep out of range of people who might try and stop it, and that happens to mean that it's also going to be out of easy photography range for most of the people who might want to get a snap.

ROFL, this is comical now and I am loving the fact some kid with a wee drone can shut down an entire capital city international airport.

After being hilarious, it is a little embarrassing considering the weaponry the UK possesses.

I'm beginning to think that this isn't totally out of the realm of possibility that this could be the act of a foreign nation (Russia?).

Is Gatwick used for any military purpose more than other airports (London is used for wealthy weirdo's and Heathrow is well too busy).

Police stated they had identified persons of interest, post the pictures already.
This is utter madness, that people can be held ransom in such a fashion.

I'm beginning to think that this isn't totally out of the realm of possibility that this could be the act of a foreign nation (Russia?).

I'm just amazed at how a drone can cause so much disruption at the UK's second busiest airport at the most busy weekend of the year

Not really being held to randsom though. No demands have been made.

It's just some donut having the time of their life. Things seem to be pretty calm at the moment.... Packed but calm.

Unsure how long ollI stick around for. May head back to Wales

Given all the military and technological capability we possess, it's bizarre this can happen.

Doesn't make an awful lot of sense really.

This is why I only travel by bus, train and ship! (Well not really but it's not good for the aviation industry).

Can't they put up a military drone armed with some sort of compact missile to track then shoot it down, if over an area where it's not likely to land on someone's head?

Given all the military and technological capability we possess, it's bizarre this can happen.

Doesn't make an awful lot of sense really.

They are worried about bullets if they shot it down, can't they use rubber bullets ? to knock it down then a boot to finish it off ?

Back
Top Bottom