Drones over gatwick..

Need drones that can chase other drones and bring them down. Can't be too difficult to develop a guidance system to close in on a moving object.
Drone wars!
Like a small mine drone. You fly it and stick it to the larger drone and it self-destructs

I saw what looked like a Drone from above a little way off the airport. Quite a large thing was, and unfortunately I didbt quite get a picture of it or have GPS turned on.. It was moving with speed away from the plane direction No joke

vmmoAnz.jpg

ay5u4I6.jpg

If it's a 4 foot across drone it's an easy shot. I mean a slightly harder rubber bullet would have done the job. Its just complete madness that they just instantly rule out any kind of fire arm
If and it's a big IF it's 4 foot across that is mostly going to be the outrider arms that hold the motors and the actual props.

Which means you've still got a fairly small "vital" area to hit (from the sides) unless you can get a shot at an upwards angle and hope it does damage to the props (although IIRC depending on model/type of drone some are designed to remain functional with one motor out for safety and cost reasons*).

So still going to be very hard to actually hit it in a way that'll take it down unless you're quite close and lucky.

It's certainly not a target any sensible shooter is going to try and hit from the side anywhere near other people as the chances of a miss and the round going somewhere you don't want it to go is very high, which brings us back to getting within a few dozen meters and shooting it with a shot gun or similar.

*You don't want a very expensive drone to be lost because one motor failed or it clipped a tree with one prop whilst over water etc.

If it's a 4 foot across drone it's an easy shot. I mean a slightly harder rubber bullet would have done the job. Its just complete madness that they just instantly rule out any kind of fire arm

Have you ever fired "rubber bullets"?

If you're referring to baton rounds then it isn't very realistic, they can be aimed at a man sized target at a rather short distance and that is about it. It is about as realistic as the poster who wanted to use small bullets that would apparently be both sufficient to fire at drones in urban areas but also magically not punch holes in people... hmm...

If these people are convicted they will get jail time, people saying otherwise is bizarre, these people have caused days of enormous disruption at the busiest time of the year.
Thousands of people out of pocket, a huge bill for the operation to find the culprits and lots of people with ruined travel plans.

If these people are convicted they will get jail time, people saying otherwise is bizarre, these people have caused days of enormous disruption at the busiest time of the year.
Thousands of people out of pocket, a huge bill for the operation to find the culprits and lots of people with ruined travel plans.

Exactly the backlash from them not getting the maximum possible term would be insane. That being said 5 years isn't nearly enough.

Make the punishment fit the crime - take the total time of disruption caused and thats the jail term, on top of this levy a fine for the estimated total cost of the delays and operation to find them.

I jest of course, this is completely unrealistic, but seriously **** those guys.

I think you have watched too many films
I do it all the time in COD. It's an easy shot.
Have you ever fired "rubber bullets"?

If you're referring to baton rounds then it isn't very realistic, they can be aimed at a man sized target at a rather short distance and that is about it. It is about as realistic as the poster who wanted to use small bullets that would apparently be both sufficient to fire at drones in urban areas but also magically not punch holes in people... hmm...
I have a reasonable amount of experience firing guns with optics and i can tell you that its a shot that could be taken from a few hundred yards. Deploy 6 teams on site to cover most ground and you would bring it down. Im not suggesting a missile launcher here :D.

Other than that, i think you could get a cheap drone up there with a small EMP charge or explosive and stick it to the thing and set it off. Thats just a few minutes thinking of anti drone tactics we could utilise. The Dutch train birds to take the things out..... which is hugely time consuming and expensive. We can do better than this thats for sure.

I have a reasonable amount of experience firing guns with optics and i can tell you that its a shot that could be taken from a few hundred yards. Deploy 6 teams on site to cover most ground and you would bring it down. Im not suggesting a missile launcher here :D.

What are you referring to w.r.t "rubber bullets" though?

Instead of bringing the actual army in, they should have just posted here. Plenty of keyboard warriors to bat the drone out of the air.

Clearly, downing the drone wasn't the main objective. Catching the person flying it was.

true but i did say "some kind of rubber bullet" some thing a little harder than currently used on people

The "rubber bullets" currently used on people that you're thinking of are called baton rounds, they're like a solid plastic slug similar-ish in size to say the cardboard you're left with when your loo roll runs out.

You can comfortably hit a man sized target with the things if the man sized target is standing at the end of the typical driveway and you're say at the front door, when the distance gets much further than that it is a bit more hit and miss...

As far as firing them up into the air at a drone moving about, it isn't going to be too practical, they're not really all that accurate and don't have much range.

So did the cops on the ground, and yet none of them seemed to think firing into the air at a target that rarely seemed to actually present itself to them was a good idea.
Yes and lets just say they air on the side of caution a little too much these days dont you think?

Back
Top Bottom