Drones over gatwick..

The "rubber bullets" currently used on people that you're thinking of are called baton rounds, they're like a solid plastic slug similar-ish in size to say the cardboard you're left with when your loo roll runs out.

You can comfortably hit a man sized target with the things if the man sized target is standing at the end of the typical driveway and you're say at the front door, when the distance gets much further than that it is a bit more hit and miss...

As far as firing them up into the air at a drone moving about, it isn't going to be too practical, they're not really all that accurate and don't have much range.
At no point did i say that the traditional rubber bullet be used. Something else could be made that wouldnt kill someone if stray over a few kilometers but strong enough to take out a drone at a few hundred feet

Instead of bringing the actual army in, they should have just posted here. Plenty of keyboard warriors to bat the drone out of the air.

Clearly, downing the drone wasn't the main objective. Catching the person flying it was.
but taking it out would have saved a lot of holidays dont you think. That should have been the priority.

Yes and lets just say they air on the side of caution a little too much these days dont you think?

No, I don't. Deciding not to shoot wildly into the air at a drone is not "health and safety gone mad", it's common sense.

In any case, you seem not to have grasped the facts of the incident because the drone sightings were sporadic, it'd be incredibly difficult to get resources in place and even attempt to line up something resembling a safe shot before it disappears again.

*dons armchair general cap*

Why didn't they just bring in a couple of Bofors with airburst shells to kill the drone ?

No worry of stray "bullets" because they explode in the air

:)

At no point did i say that the traditional rubber bullet be used. Something else could be made that wouldnt kill someone if stray over a few kilometers but strong enough to take out a drone at a few hundred feet

This is why I asked what you were referring to? You were saying earlier it is complete madness that they're ruining out firearms yet you're now seemingly claiming they should use some magic bullet that hasn't been invented yet, seemingly one that can be fired over a few kilometres yet won't kill someone????

Because when one of the shells doesnt explode, you have a 40mm explosive shell landing somewhere in london.

Was all right during the blitz when the algebra of necessity said a 40mm shell was better than a 500lb bomb but perhaps not so relevant to this case

Why couldn't they just get another drone of similar size or bigger and just fly it into the offending drone to take it down.

I don't understand why we didn't just use the laser functionality from the obelisk of light we have in Central London to shoot it out of the sky. I figured national defence was the whole reason we built it in the first place :confused:

ghrLtgp.jpg

Last edited:
Why couldn't they just get another drone of similar size or bigger and just fly it into the offending drone to take it down.
Which runs into the fundemental problems of:

A: Locating the drone, and keeping track of it:
B: getting the attack drone to it fast enough.

A looks like they may have eventually got it tracked for long enough to follow it (although if it was someone on a bike as reports suggest, the person who spotted him by chance probably played at least as big a part as the high tech gear)
B: would likely require a large number of "attack drones" ready to go as if you give the problem drone enough of a head start you'll likely never catch up.

Same basic reasons for air defence against missiles and aircraft you tend to have an onion layer system, with a large detection zone, then multiple interception points with air patrols/take of points until finally you get the close in defence.

No, I don't. Deciding not to shoot wildly into the air at a drone is not "health and safety gone mad", it's common sense.

In any case, you seem not to have grasped the facts of the incident because the drone sightings were sporadic, it'd be incredibly difficult to get resources in place and even attempt to line up something resembling a safe shot before it disappears again.
Thats why i suggested deploying several teams to cover a large area. There would be a good change of it being in your fly zone in which case you take it out. No one said anything about firing wildly into the air now did they.....

This is why I asked what you were referring to? You were saying earlier it is complete madness that they're ruining out firearms yet you're now seemingly claiming they should use some magic bullet that hasn't been invented yet, seemingly one that can be fired over a few kilometres yet won't kill someone????
Ok ive changed my mind. Install a few ground laser points that fire upwards. With a decent targeting system it could take the thing out in seconds... Or have a portable one

This drone todo has certainly kicked drone owners up the backside - Knowing the Gov (Lab & Con)they will come up with a massive knee jerk reaction and ban drones over a certain size - then they will make owner buy a license to use one - This license will have to be issued by the police who will have powers to ask your Doctor for your medical records to see if you are fit for purpose - This license will only cover the small drones - if you want a bigger drone then you apply for a big drone license -Now you will have to jump through hoops and rings of fire - if you are lucky and get a big drone license BDL you will only be able to fly it on specified flying clubs and they will have to keep your drone under lock and key when not in use - Failure to comply with these laws will have a 5 yr prison sentence - I do hope I have made this up but this sort of thing does and has happened over the years. :eek:

They brought the army in and we didnt even have something like this. Just goes to show how under funded our forces are when we cant even deploy one of this as a fast response action.

This drone todo has certainly kicked drone owners up the backside - Knowing the Gov (Lab & Con)they will come up with a massive knee jerk reaction and ban drones over a certain size - then they will make owner buy a license to use one - This license will have to be issued by the police who will have powers to ask your Doctor for your medical records to see if you are fit for purpose - This license will only cover the small drones - if you want a bigger drone then you apply for a big drone license -Now you will have to jump through hoops and rings of fire - if you are lucky and get a big drone license BDL you will only be able to fly it on specified flying clubs and they will have to keep your drone under lock and key when not in use - Failure to comply with these laws will have a 5 yr prison sentence - I do hope I have made this up but this sort of thing does and has happened over the years. :eek:

Don't see the issue tbh... someone posted earlier about the fact that some RC planes have been regulated for a while.

Ok ive changed my mind. Install a few ground laser points that fire upwards. With a decent targeting system it could take the thing out in seconds... Or have a portable one
You mean like the Israeli ones the army did install? Only we didn't buy the version with a laser onboard.

Perhaps this will result in the army investing in the more expensive option.

Don't see the issue tbh... someone posted earlier about the fact that some RC planes have been regulated for a while.

Nor me, I'm just waiting for the rash of 'learners' with their christmas gift request fulfilled by doting parents, crashing onto my property. Oop's sorry, the dog must have got it. :p

Back
Top Bottom