Poll: ** DRONES: WHO HAS ONE, WHO WANTS ONE? **

Do you own or a drone or would you buy one?

• Yes I already own a drone (Post up some images/videos)

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • I am considering buying a drone

Votes: 115 37.5%
  • Drones do not interest me

Votes: 152 49.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
What did you think it meant and why was the law, if it didn't mean within visual range.
There's been far to many incidences, the laws will be tightened up soon. Which is a shame.

Stupidly i had always assumed line of sight was just line of sight eg nothing between you and the drone. I thought VLOS was the visable range and the CAA only referred to LOS.

But i suppose thats half of the problem, nobody really makes the rules clear and in a fast moving industry, its hard to keep up.

But I will try to ensure I keep mine within VLOS from now onwards

Man of Honour
Stupidly i had always assumed line of sight was just line of sight eg nothing between you and the drone. I thought VLOS was the visable range and the CAA only referred to LOS.

But i suppose thats half of the problem, nobody really makes the rules clear and in a fast moving industry, its hard to keep up.

But I will try to ensure I keep mine within VLOS from now onwards

It's in plain English on any club or association site, easy for everyone to know and find, you dint have to go digging for it. There isn't an excuse to fly and not know the law.
Suppose you don't have insurance either?

Soldato
The virtually unregulated proliferation of 'drones' horrifies me from an aviation safety point of view as well as a security one, so no, drones do not interest me. I'm disappointed that the CAA/government have been so slow off the mark to regulate them.

Don
The virtually unregulated proliferation of 'drones' horrifies me from an aviation safety point of view as well as a security one, so no, drones do not interest me. I'm disappointed that the CAA/government have been so slow off the mark to regulate them.

But is has been regulated. There are laws and rules which govern what you can and cannot do with a UAV.
The problem is lack of enforcement and education.

Not tempted until it can be combined with a VR headset and I get the sensation of flying (this may already be possible?).

I can be done. I have a headtracker on my Headplay headset that interfaces with a pan / tilt gimbal.
Proper depth of field is possible with an Oculus Rift but you need an additional piece of equipment between the video receiver and the headset to do the image transformation. I have tried it with a laptop but the latency is too high to be useful. There is a hardware solution called Transporter3D but it's too expensive IMO.

Soldato
Not tempted until it can be combined with a VR headset and I get the sensation of flying (this may already be possible?).

FPV quads are already well established, especially for racing. I suggest you do some Googling or YouTubing. Remember there are perils with not having direct line of sight unless you fly with a spotter though!

I'm very interested in the DJI stuff, the new Phantom 3 series look great.

Soldato
But is has been regulated. There are laws and rules which govern what you can and cannot do with a UAV.
The problem is lack of enforcement and education.
The proliferation (i.e. selling, trading, spreading, whatever) is not regulated and that is my biggest concern. Enforcement of the rules will be extremely difficult now pandora's box is open.

Associate
Yes, yes and yes. I have several.....

Curve 180

Gravity 250

RotorX Atom (currently being built)

Rotor X Raiju (Waiting for new power train for the build)

And 2 Hex's - one is 300mm and one is 360 running 6" props;

They are just immense fun to build and fly!

Soldato
I was thinking of getting one to use with the photography visors but unsure if I can be bothered applying for special permission etc.

With the crack down and the recent prosecution and fine of that pilot its something I've got to go over financially and see if it wok be of benefit to me.

Back
Top Bottom