Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
So, started the book on my break. Powered through the first 25 odds pages before getting distracted by someone. It's remarkably well written and has a great flow. So far it doesn't stand out as being written 50+ years ago. I'm just having a hard time not visualising Lynch's movie as I read.

I think i'm going to finish this quickly.

There is very little in the books that date it. The fact that all kinds of sci-fi technology that we would recognise (such as computers) is banned from the fictional universe helps it keep its other-worldly feel in the far future. The story is more about the people and the massive weight of future events on this incredibly focal planet and it's ecosystem.

I'd say at least the first three books are a must read, with the fourth one optional, but the rest don't have that same epic feel, though they do fill in the fictional universe, even if not always successfully.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was 4 when it came out, so must have just missed it. Never knew they tried to market it at kids....with Lynch at the helm? No wonder nobody was happy with it :p

I still really enjoy the Lynch film...it's too long, and too rushed, but the cast, mood, ambience, music, costume, visuals are all bang on imo. It's good Villeneuve hasn't tried to do anything wacky with it, although the looks are some more modern lines to the hardware.

Lynch has said that Dune was the reason why he would never do another big budget film. This was his first one, and he was being pulled about between the producers, the films studio, and his own artistic vision, but without enough experience to stand up to all these demanding voices. There was supposed to be a first cut of about four hours that was shown once to the crew, but it's never been seen since, and it's quite possible the extra footage no longer exists.

Associate
Yeah to be fair I haven't watched it since I eventually saw it when it came out on video when I was about 10 years old or something, so I don't mean to harshly judge it, but they did also market it for kids, probably just a clueless executive that thought it was like Star Wars. Now I know what Lynch is like I'd likely enjoy it a lot more.

http://plaidstallions.com/ljn/dune.html

https://www.pinterest.ca/bctoyscollectib/dune-toys-collectibles-by-ljn-1984/

Here's some of the toys, Sting really was a great likeness for a toy back then and the also fatter one at the Pinterest link wearing the same outfit, really great detail.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Yeah to be fair I haven't watched it since I eventually saw it when it came out on video when I was about 10 years old or something, so I don't mean to harshly judge it, but they did also market it for kids, probably just a clueless executive that thought it was like Star Wars. Now I know what Lynch is like I'd likely enjoy it a lot more.

http://plaidstallions.com/ljn/dune.html

https://www.pinterest.ca/bctoyscollectib/dune-toys-collectibles-by-ljn-1984/

Here's some of the toys, Sting really was a great likeness for a toy back then and the also fatter one at the Pinterest link wearing the same outfit, really great detail.

Didn't think it was really aimed at kids, some pretty deep and weird stuff in there. One of my favourite films though.

Had Paul as a toy, but had no idea who he was as this would have been around 86/87 I think and I hadn't heard of Dune back then :p

Soldato
Didn't think it was really aimed at kids, some pretty deep and weird stuff in there. One of my favourite films though.

Had Paul as a toy, but had no idea who he was as this would have been around 86/87 I think and I hadn't heard of Dune back then :p

Dino De Laurentis probably thought it was another Flash Gordon. Also, back then kids weren't so coddled, and we watched stuff that would have had triggered people's heads exploding today. I still shudder when I remember that scene where Baron Harkonnen pretty much gets himself off pulling out a pretty boy's heart plug and watches him die. Or the cat and rat stitched together to make the antidote to Thirfur Huwatt's poison after he's captured. Or the borg-like machinery coming out of the spacer guild's assistants face. Or the bald head of the senior Bene Gerserit. So much creepy, unsettling stuff, but that's what made so many of those movies back then more than just the bland "try not to offend anybody" stuff we see so much of today.

Soldato
OP
Only casting I can't get behind with this is Zendaya, further reinforced by reading the book for first time lately...she's just a terrible actress...Chani's role needs someone strong and delicate at the same time.

Soldato
OP
Ironically Chani is a small part in both the book and the Lynch adaption but by all accounts it’s been beefed up but with a weak actress for this version.

IMO she's fairly prominent in book 1, while no chapters from her direct POV you get a very good idea of who she is, her motivations and she's reasonably well rounded as a character, without being fully fleshed out.

Soldato
Not long till the trailer... teaser out REAL soon then a full trailer early September.

There’s a couple a screen grabs of Leto, Jessica and Rabban floating about but no footage.

2020 might not suck so much after all...

Soldato
OP
Not long till the trailer... teaser out REAL soon then a full trailer early September.

There’s a couple a screen grabs of Leto, Jessica and Rabban floating about but no footage.

2020 might not suck so much after all...

Was really hoping the rumours of a trailer with Tenet were true, alas, nothing when I just went.

Back
Top Bottom