E3 2018

Soldato
Ghost of Tsushima looks insane good those leaves :eek: I dont even own a Playstation but that game made me gutted I dont.

The Last of us 2 fight scenes were mightly impressive

Death Stranding enviroments look so pretty but it just looks like a walking simulator lol.

Xbox one conference was poor in comparison I only liked Forza Horizon 4, I didnt like the Sony layout but the exclusive games just looked more amazing for Sony.

Soldato
One thing that really confuses me about TLOU2 and a lot of naughty dog games, is how much is actual non-linear gameplay.. the gameplay section of the trailer had many moments of what appeared to be scripted pre-rendered moments that give the impression it is real time. One example is Ellie hiding under the car and shooting to woman in the head, the animation is too realistic to be real time. Again the enemy dying littered with arrows in the shop whilst hunting Ellie..

Either the game is getting a downgrade or it is 30-40% pre rendered animations, If so it is more of a walking sim than anything else.. problem is, people i know genuinley believe it is actual real time fluid rendering that reacts uniquely each time.. almost tricking people in to thinking the game has more impressive tech than it really does.

Soldato
One thing that really confuses me about TLOU2 and a lot of naughty dog games, is how much is actual non-linear gameplay.. the gameplay section of the trailer had many moments of what appeared to be scripted pre-rendered moments that give the impression it is real time. One example is Ellie hiding under the car and shooting to woman in the head, the animation is too realistic to be real time. Again the enemy dying littered with arrows in the shop whilst hunting Ellie..

Either the game is getting a downgrade or it is 30-40% pre rendered animations, If so it is more of a walking sim than anything else.. problem is, people i know genuinley believe it is actual real time fluid rendering that reacts uniquely each time.. almost tricking people in to thinking the game has more impressive tech than it really does.

What do you mean "pre-rendered"? There's a difference between scripted and pre-rendered, lots of games use scripted moments/animations within gameplay, including all the previous ND games. How they weave those scripted moments into the dynamics of the gameplay will be key though, and it looks like they're nailing it.

Soldato
What do you mean "pre-rendered"? There's a difference between scripted and pre-rendered, lots of games use scripted moments/animations within gameplay, including all the previous ND games. How they weave those scripted moments into the dynamics of the gameplay will be key though, and it looks like they're nailing it.

By pre-rendered i mean the ps4 pro doesnt have the horsepower to render some of the "gameplay" animations shown in the trailer in real time, therefore I am assuming there must be some pre-rendered animations going on.

Soldato
By pre-rendered i mean the ps4 pro doesnt have the horsepower to render some of the "gameplay" animations shown in the trailer in real time, therefore I am assuming there must be some pre-rendered animations going on.

Nothing I saw looked particularly outwith the PS4 Pro's capabilities, considering what ND achieved on the base PS4 with Uncharted 4. The whole thing looked in-engine to me.

Soldato

You'd be surprised ND can squeeze every bit out of a console, and considering what Santa Monica did with God of War 4 I'd say everything they showed was in-engine and within PS4 Pro capabilities.

Soldato
Lol, in engine, sure. However the animations, set pieces and probably a good 50% of that trailer were heavily scripted and not representative of what the game will actually be like.

Soldato
GHost of tshosima looks like the best sony game by a mile imo

Even better than last of us

It looked next gen

It wasn't just the graphics in tlou though it was the animation and how it was all put together , the little attention to details , best I've ever seen.

The scene with the red leaves kind of blew me away though looked unbelievable

Soldato
It wasn't just the graphics in tlou though it was the animation and how it was all put together , the little attention to details , best I've ever seen.

The scene with the red leaves kind of blew me away though looked unbelievable

Dont expect what you saw of TLOU to be like that in the final product.. that reveal was super scripted.

Associate
I can assure you, that Last of Us: Part 2 gameplay was 100% captured in-engine footage running on the PS4 Pro. ND almost pushed the limits out of the PS4 with Uncharted 4 and achieved one of the best visually stunning games of this generation, that was 2 years ago and the ND team have obviously learned how to squeeze more out of the PS4 Pro since then. Those animations and the way they weaved in and out of the game play was incredible, flawless and seamless is an understatement.

The biggest scripted game at E3 for me was Forza Horizon 4. Having people pretending to play it on stage was cringe.

Soldato
I can assure you, that Last of Us: Part 2 gameplay was 100% captured in-engine footage running on the PS4 Pro. ND almost pushed the limits out of the PS4 with Uncharted 4 and achieved one of the best visually stunning games of this generation, that was 2 years ago and the ND team have obviously learned how to squeeze more out of the PS4 Pro since then. Those animations and the way they weaved in and out of the game play was incredible, flawless and seamless is an understatement.

The animations are scripted.. when Ellie shot the woman in the face under the car for example.. her death animation and bullet hole is scripted.. what if you shot her in the chest? The same face shot animation would play.. we will all see when its released.

Associate
The animations are scripted.. when Ellie shot the woman in the face under the car for example.. her death animation and bullet hole is scripted.. what if you shot her in the chest? The same face shot animation would play.. we will all see when its released.
It's called a state machine, google it.

Soldato
It's called a state machine, google it.

I know what instancing and states are, I'm almost finished with a computer science degree.

The fact is, on most games an enemy can be shot in thousands of places, in TLOU it seems like these animations and hit makers are made to make an ultra cinematic experience over actual unique player made moments..

Associate
I know what instancing and states are, I'm almost finished with a computer science degree.

The fact is, on most games an enemy can be shot in thousands of places, in TLOU it seems like these animations and hit makers are made to make an ultra cinematic experience over actual unique player made moments..
Then you will understand that with a game of this magnitude, ND are more than capable of creating hundreds of animations based on collision detection which will trigger a finite state animation where ever the NPC is shot. People are forgetting ND are pioneers in games development and this is 2018, the stuff we seen at E3 will be the standard for PS5 titles also and this is just the beginning of whats possible.

Back
Top Bottom