Ear wax anyone

Soldato
I get constant ear infections in my left ear, like back to back one a month almost without fail.

Reading some of the posts in this thread now have me concerned that I've got half a cow up there or something.

Associate
My left ear is currently partially blocked. I seemed to start having issues with ear wax build up during my mid twenties and ever since. Time for me to go to the doctors for a clean I guess. :D

Soldato
My left ear is currently partially blocked. I seemed to start having issues with ear wax build up during my mid twenties and ever since. Time for me to go to the doctors for a clean I guess. :D

Most doctors won't clean initial. They'll tell you to put in a couple of drops of olive oil, three times a day for a week before they'll do anything.

Associate
That sounds about right yeah.

It was a weird sensation using them, bubbled away like pouring lemonade in your ear.

Yup Otex, essentially hydrogen peroxide so as it breaks down the wax it releases oxygen bubbles, it does indeed feel extremely weird!
It does work though and is good for a blockage which isn't cleared by just olive oil.

Associate
I've always had problems with earwax, used to have my ears syringed regularly but have had microsuction last year and again recently, which is much better (and safer).

You might have to wait a long time to have microsuction done through the NHS, but there are also private clinics that do it. I found a well recommended private clinic to have it done a couple of months ago, and afterwards was advised to use Earol spray, one spray in each ear once a week. So hopefully this will help the wax come out naturally which is what it's supposed to do.

Soldato
Doctor told me that the problem with syringing is that the body then doesn't feel the need to self regulate wax production, so essentially once you go down that route then you'll always need to periodically need to go back. That's why they say go for olive oil first and see if that solves things.

I don't really know why they call it syringing as it seemed more like jet/pressure washing on a small scale to me! Otex sell a kit that contains not only the chemicals to break blockages down but a spherical rubber device that can draw water in and squirt it out into your ear at speed ( http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/otex-express-combi-pack/prd-qnd?gclid=CN7AjZWQ880CFbcW0wodDv4Hog ). Use the Otex, sit in the bath and effectively self syringe to keep on top of it works for me these days.

Associate
I don't really know why they call it syringing as it seemed more like jet/pressure washing on a small scale to me!
They used to use a big metal syringe to do it, and it wasn't nice at all. I think now the correct name for it is irrigation, with the new equipment they use. But even so I don't know why it hasn't been replaced by microsuction.

When I had "irrigation" done last year the nurse had to stop before she could get all the wax out because she thought she might have damaged my eardrum. Luckily she hadn't, but that might give you an idea of what can happen with syringing / irrigation.

Soldato
Plenty of videos on YouTube of wax being manually removed with little tools (with a camera in the ear, of course). Looks amazing, wish I could do that to myself.

Back
Top Bottom