Ebay + Youtube + Piracy = LOL

Soldato
Isn't it illegal in the UK to circumvent copy right, which is what no cd cracks are.

I think it's a grey area... isn't it legal to make a backup copy, and the no-cd crack is only allowing you to exercise your legal rights? I think someone may have a case if the game also had a serial number check, and the no-cd crack made no attempt to circumvent it.

Maybe!

Soldato
So many things wrong with that :) I LOL'd :D

I particularly liked in one of his videos he talks about the Maxtor hard drive then immediately says something like "we only use the good makes".

Soldato
No. Not coming off it. That delivery caveat did it for me.

Do you think a middle aged nurse who's scared of computers, but wants to buy one for little Timmy's Christmas is going to realise she's buying pirate games?

It's not the case that he's passing a few DVDs discretely, without saying anything on the listing to be nice to people. He's actively selling the unit based on the games it contains.

The delivery thing is imo perfectly acceptable, if something goes wrong because of some monkeys that work in the post ( I work as a post sorter myself, and see packets etc being thrown around every day) then the guy does not want to have anything to do with it, I mean, he clearly states he offers pickup, which is probably his preferred method anyways.

Why do you think a middle ages nurse should care at all if it's pirated or not ?

Thats indeed stupid as he posts proof that he makes money on piracy, however, I personally don't have anything against someone doing it, and I'm sure there are others who don't care either, he's indeed stupid though so actively showing he IS doing it though, attracting the attention of anti piracy people...

Soldato
Illegal would mean it was against the law...

You could molest Windows 7 to your hearts content at home and it still wouldn't get someone coming round with a battering ram and a snatch team. If you were selling copies that's a different matter.

Man of Honour
The delivery thing is imo perfectly acceptable, .

it's not at all, if he offers postage he is responsible for it. It's why you should never pay the extra for insurance. it's there responsibility. It doesn't matter what they write or say, he has to cover it.

Soldato
The delivery thing is imo perfectly acceptable, if something goes wrong because of some monkeys that work in the post ( I work as a post sorter myself, and see packets etc being thrown around every day) then the guy does not want to have anything to do with it, I mean, he clearly states he offers pickup, which is probably his preferred method anyways.

Why do you think a middle ages nurse should care at all if it's pirated or not ?

Thats indeed stupid as he posts proof that he makes money on piracy, however, I personally don't have anything against someone doing it, and I'm sure there are others who don't care either, he's indeed stupid though so actively showing he IS doing it though, attracting the attention of anti piracy people...

I'm suggesting a middle aged nurse as an example of a parent buying for a child who has little or no experience with computers. They may or may not know that pirated software is illegal, they may or may not care. But I'm sure there are some people who would assume that since he's being upfront about it on eBay that it's legit.

What if EA see his ad, get mightily annoyed, the police get involed raid his house and then go visiting the buyers. Ignorance is no excuse the courts may say, you should have known you were buying dodgy stuff.

Soldato
Just smart marketing for stupid people...

To be honest the stupidity of these people that he's supposedly marketing to would even have to surpass his as most would go to legit sellers... not Ebay. It's so horrible, having lots of block capitals isn't good marketing even when towards to "stupid people".

Edit - LOL seriously guys a middle aged nurse! cmon scraping the barrel a little bit no? She doesn't give a **** about games. She'd also goto legit bodies such as the... well y'know. ;)

Soldato
To be honest the stupidity of these people that he's supposedly marketing to would even have to surpass his as most would go to legit sellers...

Yes and nope, see his feedback, many people bought this ''cube''...

it's not at all, if he offers postage he is responsible for it. It's why you should never pay the extra for insurance. it's there responsibility. It doesn't matter what they write or say, he has to cover it.

No, I disagree, imo the BUYER is supposed to request for an insured parcel and pay extra for it, after all, the seller did nothing wrong if a courier damaged something...
doesn't matter what they write or say,

I'm not exactly sure what ebay's terms of use are, but he should be perfectly able to make his own terms imo, don't like it don't buy it...

Soldato
To be honest the stupidity of these people that he's supposedly marketing to would even have to surpass his as most would go to legit sellers... not Ebay. It's so horrible, having lots of block capitals isn't good marketing even when towards to "stupid people".

Edit - LOL seriously guys a middle aged nurse! cmon scraping the barrel a little bit no? She doesn't give a **** about games. She'd also goto legit bodies such as the... well y'know. ;)

I don't think I am. People may not know it's illegal. My old retired school teacher mum for example. She manages internet banking herself - barely. It's actually funny to watch. She closes the computer down. Starts it up. Waits on everything loading. Closes everything she can. Opens the browser and goes straight to internet banking. If anything unfamiliar appears I get a phone call to come and make sure it's ok, or she'll print it off and show me. Once she's done she clicks the log out button, logs off windows, logs back in, then shuts windows down and sits waiting to make sure the power goes off.

I can guarantee you she knows crap all about computers, and she would have no idea looking at that listing that the games were pirate. Additionally to my knowledge she is the most law abiding citizen in the country, and is terrified of doing the wrong thing. She'd have kittens if she found out she'd bought illegal games - she'd probably be down the police station handing herself in.

Soldato
They become illegal as soon as the cracker starts as soon as the cracker installs SoftICE then runs the game ;) :p

I don't think they are illegal, if the police did actually come in, you'd have to prove you originally owned the disc therefore allowing personal use but if no then you're buggered. Same with ROMS for emulators.

Soldato
No, I disagree, imo the BUYER is supposed to request for an insured parcel and pay extra for it, after all, the seller did nothing wrong if a courier damaged something...
I'm not exactly sure what ebay's terms of use are, but he should be perfectly able to make his own terms imo, don't like it don't buy it...

Sorry, you are wrong about this. Delivery is his responsibility.
You can put whatever terms and conditions on something that you like. If they're unreasonable people can just pretend they're not there.

Back
Top Bottom