Ebay + Youtube + Piracy = LOL

Soldato
Depends tho, loads of games are crap and buggy. Saints Row 2 for instance, mercs 2, etc. Just bug ridden games which im glad i never payed money for.

The amount of people downloading games is massive, it wont go away. If you dont do it (highly doubtful) then someone u know will be. Its a way of life really.

I still think the ebay seller is a right laugh tho just blaringly away he is advertising a crap system and really telling loads of lies to sell it i.e the p3 for 200 lol and the games he is including (free) when there just copies etc. Just so funny he has getting away with it for so long.

Soldato
The amount of man hours/money that goes into making a game I can't believe some people still think they can justify downloading it for free.

/runs away from the pirates.

The amount of rubbish that goes into the game price like physical product's, transport, many ''between people'' like the publisher, shops, traders, etc is also unbelievable imo :). Should be able to download/pay to the developer directly imo for just the data and be done with it.

There was this site ( it was called BIG, ban illegale games en software) a while ago here in the NL, funded by the gov aimed at children to prevent piracy, they explained the costs of a retail game, I believe that it said that only 5€ of a 50€ game went to the dev, this is appalling imo.

The current distribution system is flawed imo.

i.e the p3 for 200 lol and the games he is including (free) when there just copies etc. Just so funny he has getting away with it for so long.
Dude, this is the 2nd time you made the same mistake ( in the youtube comment too), it is not a p3, it's a pentium D, like 2x pentium 4's in 1 chip :p, competitor to Amd X2. Yes I'm bored :p.
/runs before skeet comes down here and punches me in the face for annoying him :D.

Last edited:
Soldato
downloading a game for nothing is stealing imo.

you are getting something that you should have paid for, for nothing.

Yes, but copying something that you have not paid for is not stealing, taking away something away you have not paid for is stealing :).

This discussions pops up on ocuk sooo often :D.

Soldato
The amount of rubbish that goes into the game price like physical product's, transport, many ''between people'' like the publisher, shops, traders, etc is also unbelievable imo :). Should be able to download/pay to the developer directly imo for just the data and be done with it.

that goes for any product. OBVIOUSLY...a product needs to be transported to a retailer to be sold.

also there are ways to download and pay for games, 'steam' for example.

Soldato
that goes for any product. OBVIOUSLY...a product needs to be transported to a retailer to be sold.
Hence downloaders picking a free method of transportation, through fiber and copper wires that go into their pc :).
also there are ways to download and pay for games, 'steam' for example.
Yes, but steam has it's own flaws like not paying developers, not avoiding publishers ( and goign to devs directly), and taking a big chunk of the price too, sure they pay for the system & bandwith, but with p2p, users have their own bandwidth, steam is also an unnecessary ''transporter'', because consumers can do the same thing just as well as steam...

It still isn't legal and the penalties are probably worse in law and in civil terms.
In the UK, indeed, I was never denying what you just said :).

Soldato

As far as distribution goes I don't know how much it costs the developer to put their data on a disc per DVD.

But these companies pay for Game creation software licenses per computer I imagine. They also pay for their computers which are always very high specced.

Licenses for these are well expensive as far as I'm aware. How many computers do they use on one project?

Then their is staff wages to be paid, building maintenance etc. They then sell their games on a disc to wholesalers for whatever per hundred discs. Which then go out to bodies which I can't really say but you get the jist.

Personally I think on this basis they deserve some money for all the effort put into it because it is screamingly hard work then we get people who turn their noses up at it all because they're too tight. (funny coming from a scottish dude huh?)

And for distribution blame capitialism, everybody wants a piece of the pie.

Edit - To summarise it just seems a bit unfair...many people are seriously ungrateful for the amount of work put into this stuff.

Soldato
Yes, but copying something that you have not paid for is not stealing, taking away something away you have not paid for is stealing :).

This discussions pops up on ocuk sooo often :D.

If it is not classed as stealing, then something is wrong.

If somebody is selling copied versions of cod4 to people, then they are essentially stealing, as they are removing potential customers of the real retail game.

it may not be classed as stealing by some daft law, but it is.

Caporegime
If it is not classed as stealing, then something is wrong.

If somebody is selling copied versions of cod4 to people, then they are essentially stealing, as they are removing potential customers of the real retail game.

it may not be classed as stealing by some daft law, but it is.

It's not stealing, because stealing is defined in the theft act as permanently depriving someone of something. If you copy something, the original remains, so no one is deprived of anything. You can argue that someone is deprived of revenue but that makes no sense if that revenue was never theirs in the first place.

However, just because it's not theft doesn't mean it's right. It's still illegal and right ***** into the bargain.

Soldato
hmm ok il accept that.

but imo illegally depriving a business of potential (and in most cases very likely) revenue should carry the same punishment as actually taking it.

Soldato
Dude, this is the 2nd time you made the same mistake ( in the youtube comment too), it is not a p3, it's a pentium D, like 2x pentium 4's in 1 chip :p, competitor to Amd X2. Yes I'm bored :p.
/runs before skeet comes down here and punches me in the face for annoying him :D.

Hmm could have sworn in the advert he said p3, hence me commenting on it. My mistake then. But will still run to holland and smack u one just for talking back. :p

Soldato
hmm ok il accept that.

but imo illegally depriving a business of potential (and in most cases very likely) revenue should carry the same punishment as actually taking it.

Sure sales go down but they still making lots of profit regardless of piracy otherwise ea etc would have been gone along time ago.

Games industry has produced crap but there still gona produce crap even if no piracy was in effect. I mean the industry is still afloat, there still making money. So talk bad about piracy if everyone must but its still a great way to try a game before you buy regardless of if a demo is out or not when in fact most games dont.

Edit -

I also find it funny how places that buy and sell 2nd hand copies of the games are never called into piracy topics. Since they do not help the publishers/developers at all its only profit going to the shops as buy cheap off public and sell for more and all the profit goes in their pockets not the makers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You think that one's bad? Check out his other system, since when as a 7900GTX card been able to utilise DX10?

This listing (120472662014) has been removed, or this item is not available.

Penny starting to drop perhaps? Or, he's crapping himself now! :D

I also find it funny how places that buy and sell 2nd hand copies of the games are never called into piracy topics. Since they do not help the publishers/developers at all its only profit going to the shops as buy cheap off public and sell for more and all the profit goes in their pockets not the makers.

I agree entirely.

If I see a game I like, I tend to wait until its available at the local second hand store and I pay around 1/3 of the retail if that.

So, I have a shelf full of genuine software that has cost me little, and effectively earned the software producer a lost sale.....

Grey area indeed!

Last edited:
Soldato

Buying a 2nd hand pc part ( be it a cpu, ram, an hdd, etc) does not help the manufacturer, or me buying a used car does not help Volvo...

( Legit) Licenses that were paid for legally can be sold just as well as any goods... You can't forbid people trading/selling goods on they have not made themselves...

Soldato
I was expecting more responses to my post. :mad: :p

And skeeter, that's common practice and a lot of developers have said they don't like it but that's capitilasm isn't it? :)

Back
Top Bottom