*** Elden Ring ***

Associate
I've seen some people saying bleed is currently extremely powerful, but I have no idea if it's worth infusing or what level you would need in Arcane to make it worthwhile.

I've been using bleed on my Rapier, it's been pretty powerful so far even though I'm not scaled into Arcane. The base damage isn't that high as it's mainly going of my Dex but mobs are usually bled in about 3-5 hits at which point they take a nice chunk of extra damage, very handy on some of the more heavily armoured ones that have a big life pool.

For bossing it seems a mixed bag, Margit got destroyed when I went back to fight him, the bleed took about 15-20% off each time. I don't even think I needed to heal once. Some do seem to be immune or have high resistance though so you would definitely need a backup weapon for just raw damage.

I actually managed to find a Katana that was scaled for Dex, Str and Int, doing physical and magic damage whilst also having bleed as well, that seems to have been a pretty big upgrade for me so far. In terms of the ashes I've found several that alternate the scaling between Dex and Str, one for bleed and one for adding Int scaling and magic damage. None for elements found yet but no doubt there will be, I actually really like this new system, no more farming for very specific shards for the infusion and you can quickly change it with no penalty.

Soldato
Ah, I might have to do some more experimenting. I used the morning star on Margit, but I only noticed the bleed proc happen once (although it did proc for a nice chunk of his health). Time to start committing to some upgrades but I'm still not set on my primary weapon choice yet.

Associate
If it's any consolation, I've come across an item after clearing a cave that allowed the vendor twins at the Roundtable to start stocking the low level smithing shards, I've also encountered an NPC that stocked the low level somber shards. So it's likely that there's more and we'll be able to eventually buy most of the shards needed for upgrades.

As soon as I found that it pushed me to just upgrade what I had rather than wait out for something better.

Soldato
If it's any consolation, I've come across an item after clearing a cave that allowed the vendor twins at the Roundtable to start stocking the low level smithing shards, I've also encountered an NPC that stocked the low level somber shards. So it's likely that there's more and we'll be able to eventually buy most of the shards needed for upgrades.

As soon as I found that it pushed me to just upgrade what I had rather than wait out for something better.

Ooh, cool. Do you remember this was? Soon after the Castle by any chance?

Associate
Right! I have three days off work. Time to get naked and role a Wretch. I feel this could make my first real playthrough even better... maybe... hmmm. I do like the idea of starting from nothing.

Associate
Ooh, cool. Do you remember this was? Soon after the Castle by any chance?

It was called Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel, located towards the top right of the lake in the Liurnia lakes area. I think it was from when I killed the boss there. It's full of those tough skinned miner enemies, which I found the Torch deals with surprisingly well. (The least spoilery map I could find below if you want).

I've not even cleared the castle yet, I just stumbled upon the path near the broken bridge near the castle and set off to see how far I could go. It seems that you can go pretty much anywhere from the get go, I've managed to go far around the map (it feels huge) to areas that feel way above my level.

11-32-1024x576.jpg

Soldato
It was called Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel, located towards the top right of the lake in the Liurnia lakes area. I think it was from when I killed the boss there. It's full of those tough skinned miner enemies, which I found the Torch deals with surprisingly well. (The least spoilery map I could find below if you want).

I've not even cleared the castle yet, I just stumbled upon the path near the broken bridge near the castle and set off to see how far I could go. It seems that you can go pretty much anywhere from the get go, I've managed to go far around the map (it feels huge) to areas that feel way above my level.

11-32-1024x576.jpg

Cheers! That's amazing. I had no idea that was possible. Will keep an eye for those locations.

Associate
Soldato
Just killed Godrick. Excellent boss fight. There is as much content in Stormveil as there is in some whole games! I was wandering around for hours.

Ive just realised im playing this the exact same way i played Witcher 3.

Fromsoft: Here's the quest, follow the sparkly lights to your objective!

Me: Nah mate, im going to search the entire map in every other direction instead!! :cry:

Associate
weight also affects jump height, there's a couple of places you can only get to on foot lightly encumbered

Nice, I hadn't noticed that effect yet, likely loads of aspects to this game that will come out over the following months a bit like Breath of the Wild.

As for weapon upgrades people asking about, definitely will get plenty of chances to upgrade a lot of weapons later on, so likely best just to choose one early knowing you'll easily be able to upgrade many others as you please a bit later.

Also I found the Zweihander last night which was my weapon in my last Dark Souls play through, seems they nerfed the move set though a bit doesn't have the crushing blow on L2 anymore, could be misremembering.

Soldato
Nice, I hadn't noticed that effect yet, likely loads of aspects to this game that will come out over the following months a bit like Breath of the Wild.

As for weapon upgrades people asking about, definitely will get plenty of chances to upgrade a lot of weapons later on, so likely best just to choose one early knowing you'll easily be able to upgrade many others as you please a bit later.

Also I found the Zweihander last night which was my weapon in my last Dark Souls play through, seems they nerfed the move set though a bit doesn't have the crushing blow on L2 anymore, could be misremembering.

So how are you finding the Zwei in this one? Even in earlier DS games I found the Ultragreatswords a bit too much on the slow side, and here the enemies seem a lot faster. Is it not hard to get attacks off in the windows available?

Associate
I haven't actually used the Zwei yet on mobs just tested moves I've not upgraded it as I'm using a smaller Lordsworn Greatsword I upgraded to +11 that I found in a carriage chest really early on.

I might not use the Zwei in Elden Ring as just compared it Switch Dark Souls at the same time, the Zwei in DS is a better moveset and 5 weight lighter too.

Elden Ring Zwei R2 has a slow pierce attack, then the heavy knockdown as a combo, not as good as DS with instant knockdown R2.

Lordsword Greatsword is small for a greatsword but has a great moveset including the uppercut special that sends mob flying up in the air, and the instant crushing blow/knockdown on R2 1 handed, so a pretty good tank weap too.

I used to 1 hand the Zwei in DS but likely too heavy now. Zwei very powerful in DS 1 as you can grab it very early. I find a lot of colossal weapons too slow but any with crushing blow instant like giant club, dragon tooth, etc, all really effective for knock downs. Great fun to use as well.

Back
Top Bottom