*** Elden Ring ***

On a completely different note, I also decided to count up all the golden, hero, lord's and numen runes I had collected and was quite surprised it comes to almost 750,000. Anyone else just keep forgetting they have these for hours and hours?

Me! I got used to collecting runes and they were only worth 200+, i just stopped checking them. Then i got a bunch of runes from some big ants named differently so checked them....12k! Thats when i checked other runes id collected and had some that gave 20k!

Soldato
Okay helpme out lads, playing keyboard and mouse
Control system seems sinfully sinful tbh.

Eventually figured the menu change toggle with help from on here, but i am playing as confessor, so i have two incantations, heal and silent approach
How on earth do you cast them?
Upper arrow cycles between the two.
Then select the finger bones thingy in your weapon slot, does this have to be right handed?
Then what?

Also pouches for quick selection, I;ve things like mount assigned to pouches, but can't seem to find a button to actually use the pouch item, what am I missing?

Man of Honour

Eventually figured the menu change toggle with help from on here, but i am playing as confessor, so i have two incantations, heal and silent approach
Then select the finger bones thingy in your weapon slot, does this have to be right handed?
Then what?

Also pouches for quick selection, I;ve things like mount assigned to pouches, but can't seem to find a button to actually use the pouch item, what am I missing?

Pop your seal into the left hand (where a shield would be), then simply right click to cast.

Hold down E to show your pouches in the bottom left corner and press whichever arrow key has the pouch item you want to use

Associate

Then what?

Honestly, the solution is play with a controller. All of the "soulsborne" games were designed to played with a controller, and they all have awful keyboard / mouse control.

Man of Honour
Honestly, the solution is play with a controller. All of the "soulsborne" games were designed to played with a controller, and they all have awful keyboard / mouse control.

As I've mentioned before in this thread (at least I think it was this thread), it entirely depends upon the player and their preference. I am terrible with controllers, if I tried playing Elden Ring with a controller I would give up and uninstall after an hour out of frustration. I am however, extremely good with mouse and keyboard, even on games where its "supposedly" too hard with m&k. I've got 170 hours played on Elden ring now and have 3 characters all at lvl 72. I've killed many of the "harder" bosses and have not found anything (except for the truly terrible target lock on camera mechanic) to be too difficult. All of that, with the allegedly "too hard to play with" mouse and keyboard. Had I used controller, I'd never have even made it to the first boss. IMO, as said before, user familiarity/preference is more important than a black and white "its easier with control method X"

Soldato
Gotta agree with Tombstone above. I think it's entirely false that ER is awful to play with MKB. I'm struggling to see what people find bad about it at all, tbh.

All in-game keys are rebindable, mouse look is smooth and responsive. There are actually benefits and there are some operations it will feel much smoother inputting on a keyboard than a controller. For instance, I don't have to take my fingers off the movement controls to change items, weapons or spells. It's also much more comfortable moving the camera whilst performing actions using a mouse. You do lose full directional dodging, but having free and accurate camera controls give you a way around that, and I prefer that trade-off.

To elaborate on the answer to @Destination's question (which has nothing to do with any shortcomings in MKB controls, to be fair), you can have your Seal in either hand and to cast, you press the attack button for that hand and it will cast the incantation selected at the bottom right of the screen. There are advantages and disadvantages to having it in either your main- or off-hand. If the Seal (or staff for sorceries) is in your main hand you can also hold a shield and block quickly whilst you're casting. If it's in your off-hand, you can quickly perform melee attacks without having to swap weapons. I keep my staff in my main-hand, but there have been times enemies have closed me down quickly and I've died due to failing to switch to my melee weapon in time.

Soldato
Yes Although the keys are rebindable, i find I forget the large amounts of combinations, in a different game, left shift might have done something, in this game it tends to modify existing actions , which is grand, just on the controls page it does actually state what is possible.
So for things like pouch, i couldn't find out how or where to do something once I had missed that point in the early on tutorial.
Now that I know its actually quite handy!

There are probably a stack of things and moves in game I could/should be doing but don't recall the combos and connections for, I'll figure them out over time.

Man of Honour
To elaborate on the answer to @Destination's question (which has nothing to do with any shortcomings in MKB controls, to be fair), you can have your Seal in either hand and to cast, you press the attack button for that hand and it will cast the incantation selected at the bottom right of the screen. There are advantages and disadvantages to having it in either your main- or off-hand. If the Seal (or staff for sorceries) is in your main hand you can also hold a shield and block quickly whilst you're casting. If it's in your off-hand, you can quickly perform melee attacks without having to swap weapons. I keep my staff in my main-hand, but there have been times enemies have closed me down quickly and I've died due to failing to switch to my melee weapon in time.

Yeah there are so many viable setups, which is great. On my caster I carry a staff in my right hand for casting offensive spells with and in my left hand I hold my seal with a heal incantation on it ready for additional heals to suppliment flasks.

Associate
Still loving this game, but I had to use a guide for some quests otherwise I might never have finished it within any reasonable amount of free time, am now very close to the end with the self imposed usual delay I always have in Souls games for levelling things up a lot before NG+.

Mostly using Radahn's colossal sword +10 in 2 hand stance as you get the benefit of dual wielding 2 weapons but only the weight of one, albeit a heavy one. At 60 str it's very powerful for double hit L1s. Even for melee it's worth raising the 15 int to wield it as you can get some good spells not much higher than that and can use the +5 Int charm too. Though R2 only hits with one of the swords for a weird reason. With about 45 vig, 40 poise and heavy armour you can stand and trade for at least a bit using Radhan's Sword with most all mobs and quite a few bosses. I keep an upgraded Brass shield on me too as it's the lightest shield that can get the top block value. Other than pure melee have used scarlet rot to cheese an NPC boss and some of Radhan, also have a nice +5 bow for pulling mobs and carry a strength scaling faith charm to cure poison and some buffs.

Mimic+ 10 also a very powerful ashes, almost too powerful, though there's still a few bosses that annoyed me like old school Dark Souls games, but then that's all part of the Soul's game appeal, the huge rush after beating a tough boss, it's still there in Elden Ring.

Soldato
Yes Although the keys are rebindable, i find I forget the large amounts of combinations, in a different game, left shift might have done something, in this game it tends to modify existing actions , which is grand, just on the controls page it does actually state what is possible.
So for things like pouch, i couldn't find out how or where to do something once I had missed that point in the early on tutorial.
Now that I know its actually quite handy!

There are probably a stack of things and moves in game I could/should be doing but don't recall the combos and connections for, I'll figure them out over time.

Yeah, you really need the muscle memory for this game, as with all Souls games really. I would imagine that's the same if you're using a controller, but I don't really know as I don't use one.

I bound everything to my standard Souls game set up, and then got stomped by the Scion and then the Sentinel without even landing a hit as I got every input wrong.

One thing I would suggest is to do away with the shift-modified attacks. There are plenty of keys and no need to have to go through the extra step of holding down shift and pressing another button. I have left and right mouse bound to heavy and light main hand attacks, block/left hand weapon bound to the key just to the left of my left movement key (right ctrl in my case) and weapon skill to another nearby key.

Still loving this game, but I had to use a guide for some quests otherwise I might never have finished it within any reasonable amount of free time, am now very close to the end with the self imposed usual delay I always have in Souls games for levelling things up a lot before NG+.

Mostly using Radahn's colossal sword +10 in 2 hand stance as you get the benefit of dual wielding 2 weapons but only the weight of one, albeit a heavy one. At 60 str it's very powerful for double hit L1s. Even for melee it's worth raising the 15 int to wield it as you can get some good spells not much higher than that and can use the +5 Int charm too. Though R2 only hits with one of the swords for a weird reason. With about 45 vig, 40 poise and heavy armour you can stand and trade for at least a bit using Radhan's Sword with most all mobs and quite a few bosses. I keep an upgraded Brass shield on me too as it's the lightest shield that can get the top block value. Other than pure melee have used scarlet rot to cheese an NPC boss and some of Radhan, also have a nice +5 bow for pulling mobs and carry a strength scaling faith charm to cure poison and some buffs.

Mimic+ 10 also a very powerful ashes, almost too powerful, though there's still a few bosses that annoyed me like old school Dark Souls games, but then that's all part of the Soul's game appeal, the huge rush after beating a tough boss, it's still there in Elden Ring.

I quite like the Radahn sword for the weapon skill, but it has the same issue that puts me off curved greatswords in all these games - the lack of range. I love the moveset of them, but just as in DS 1, 2 and 3 they just don't reach as far as they look like they should and I keep whiffing my attacks.

On another note, who here has beaten
Malenia
?

I have been finding the game pretty straightforward up to her. I mean, I've died a lot - mostly to gravity in true Souls fashion, but also to plenty of ganks and some bosses suprise moves. But I haven't taken more than two or three attempts on any boss to this point except for the magma wyrm (which at least always felt doable) and she feels like a total brick wall. Eight attempts earlier today, and I only got the second phase twice, whereupon I died almost instantly without doing a lick more damage.

I think I need to rework my strategy for this one. Hardest boss in the game by far. One OHKO move even with nearly 1600 HP, a seemingly undodgable instant death combo that given bad RNG she will just spam, and even normal attacks chunk 800 HP or so each. Plus the healing. Argh, how demoralising is that to see? My dual katanas do decent damage, stagger a bit, and bleed nicely, but she heals it all back so fast and then before too long it's the OHKO grab or the combo of death. I don't know what attack she used to insta-kill me at the start of phase two, as I didn't really see it, but it's instantly fatal whatever it is.

She feels like a Sekiro boss put into this game by mistake. And I can't perform a series of quick parries to break her posture.

Need some tips here I think. Might even respec from my high Int/medium Str build.

Associate
As I've mentioned before in this thread (at least I think it was this thread), it entirely depends upon the player and their preference. I am terrible with controllers, if I tried playing Elden Ring with a controller I would give up and uninstall after an hour out of frustration. I am however, extremely good with mouse and keyboard, even on games where its "supposedly" too hard with m&k. I've got 170 hours played on Elden ring now and have 3 characters all at lvl 72. I've killed many of the "harder" bosses and have not found anything (except for the truly terrible target lock on camera mechanic) to be too difficult. All of that, with the allegedly "too hard to play with" mouse and keyboard. Had I used controller, I'd never have even made it to the first boss. IMO, as said before, user familiarity/preference is more important than a black and white "its easier with control method X"

Just wait until you get to the final section and the last few main bosses. Nothing prior to that point compares ! There's no way I could play this game with M & K ; it's clearly designed with a controller in mind ( as are all the Souls games ).

Man of Honour
There's no way I could play this game with M & K ; it's clearly designed with a controller in mind ( as are all the Souls games ).

Whereas I am the opposite, theres no way I could play this game with a controller. Hence my point that its what control method the user is familiar with which is key, rather than a blanket statement like its easier/harder with control method X. As I've said before, I 100%'d other titles with M&K which were supposedly not possible to do unless you used a controller, I'm sure I will be able to do the same with Elden Ring. Just boils down to what control method you are used to.

I mean, at the end of the day, I literally cant even move in a straight line with a controller, thats how bad I am with them, now if you are saying that its impossible for me to complete Elden Ring unless I use a controller then I might as well uninstall it now right? Maybe when I reach the final boss I will record it and upload me beating it with M&K to my youtube channel so you can see its possible :D

Soldato
Yup, MKB only here too, and had
Radahn, Fire Giant, Morgott, Loretta, Godskin, Gargoyles, Fortisaxx, the first Astel, Elmer
and a few others down first try.
(Mohg took two tries, as did Niall and the second Astel)

The only boss I've had any trouble at all with is the one I mentioned above and that's because I can't read her attacks and have no clue how to respond to them, not because of the control method.

Years ago, I bought and tried a controller for DS1 since unpatched the mouse control was a bit funky, but even in that state I quickly decided I was only handicapping myself as I was worse than useless with it. I installed DSMouseFix and have been happy ever since in Souls games (and Sekiro) using MKB.

Soldato
The game runs pretty much perfectly for me maxed on new hardware, the 4790k was simply not up to the task, especially that it had to fight with subpar optimisation as well. 12700kf gets around 16-20% usage, lol.

Feels good to finally be able to play the game properly, a month after release:p

Associate
Working agian now. 61 hours in to the game it randomly decided it didn't like Afterburner!

Spent the last 5(in game) hours or so exploring Nokron Eternal City and Nokstella. Great areas with lots of valuable items.

I enjoyed exploring the underground areas too. As you say, plenty of good items and materials for upgrading weapons / summons plus the area is critical for completing many of the side stories.

Soldato
Game is so close to a 10/10 for me but there is just no need to hide game play mechanics behind complete obscurity. I've had to sit watching some decent youtube content / reading through the Wiki to understand how weapon scaling etc works. What do they achieve by making it so obtuse in-game?

I'm also missing Ranni the Witch from her tower because I've triggered another quest that needs completed before she will show in her correct location. Some kind of clue to come back at another time once an event has been completed would be nice. There is a tonne of content behind speccing your character different ways, I just wish they didn't hide it from the general peeps playing their game.

Back
Top Bottom