*** Elden Ring ***

Soldato
I'm going to try a melee build, I did the easy int/magic route which mainly used rock sling or whatever and it was probably the only way I was ever going to complete the game with all the other crutches like mimic tear.
I did the same, I would probably still be on the first playthrough if I played melee :p

Soldato
Few more details about the expansion from a Miyazaki interview with Famitsu today

* The expansion story takes place in the base game's timeline, there is no time travelling into the past or future

* Miyazaki describes the story as: "Here, you are following the footsteps of Miquella who headed for the shadow lands. Further, there are NPCs also following after Miquella. The story of the DLC is told through them, and they cross paths with the player, sometimes as allies, sometimes as enemies. Also, one other main pillar of the DLC story is the history of this shadow land and the history of Queen Marika"

* Are there new weapons, magic, or incantations?

Miyazaki: Yes, many weapons, spells, weapon arts, etc. have been added. They are one of the main selling points of this DLC.

Especially weapons, there are 8 new weapon types added. Of course, there are additions to existing weapon types as well.

Famitsu: 8!? There are a great number of weapons in the main title, specifically what kinds of new weapons are added in the DLC?

Miyazaki: First of all, there are fairly classic large Japanese katanas known as "Odachi", and others are reverse-hand swords "Gyakute ken", and more peculiar, highly novel ones. For example, martial arts if you imagine monks, or dual offensive/defensive "Dueling Shields". Or throwing daggers that change all attacks into throws. So it should still be fun and refreshing for players who have gone through all the weapons in the main story.

Associate
I really wanted to play this but think I left it too long and now it just seems too big of a game (I know its a weird thing to complain about). If I played on launch I would have been fine but so much has been spoiled by other people that I have no will to play it through it. Which is a shame as I played a loved Dark souls 1-3 as well as the demons souls remake.

Soldato
I really wanted to play this but think I left it too long and now it just seems too big of a game (I know its a weird thing to complain about). If I played on launch I would have been fine but so much has been spoiled by other people that I have no will to play it through it. Which is a shame as I played a loved Dark souls 1-3 as well as the demons souls remake.
I would say this. I've never got on with any previous FROMSOFT games and even watched aspects and walkthroughs of the game to see what the fuss was about. Last Christmas on a whim I bought it and even with what I had seen it was easily one of the best games I've played in years. I'm not a hardcore gamer in anyway shape or form (I'm almost 50) but the experience was utterly incredible. I did use guides on lots of bits and pieces but it did not diminish the joy of playing it. I confess I still have not completed it; I've got to the end game and last two stacked bosses but after plugging 100 hours in to it I've had my monies worth. Hop in.

Its one thing watching people play this game, but when you play it yourself it feels totally different to what you expect. The spectacle of it is engrossing, you should give it a chance.

Soldato
One of my concerns was if the dlc would be difficult enough because my main character is around level 500

This has been a problem in previous from software DLCs

But Miyazaki has thought of this and has applied a novel solution for Shadow of the Erdtree.

In the expansion, all enemies have a resistance to the damage output from the base game, and it scales so no matter how high your level is, the DLC will be challenging and enemies will not be easy. However in the DLC you can get stronger, a new stat taken from Sekiro is introduced to the DLC, called attack power and when you level up this stat, it increases damage you do against the DLC enemies but does not affect the base game enemies

Essentially Miyazaki is making sure that the DLC is challenging for everyone and no one will go into it feeling overpowered

Soldato
I wonder if the DLC will teach the so called “Elden Lord” to swim. I always found it funny you could only paddle ankle deep, or die instantly.

Hoping to see more variety in the gameplay than we have currently.

Associate
I would say this. I've never got on with any previous FROMSOFT games and even watched aspects and walkthroughs of the game to see what the fuss was about. Last Christmas on a whim I bought it and even with what I had seen it was easily one of the best games I've played in years. I'm not a hardcore gamer in anyway shape or form (I'm almost 50) but the experience was utterly incredible. I did use guides on lots of bits and pieces but it did not diminish the joy of playing it. I confess I still have not completed it; I've got to the end game and last two stacked bosses but after plugging 100 hours in to it I've had my monies worth. Hop in.

Its one thing watching people play this game, but when you play it yourself it feels totally different to what you expect. The spectacle of it is engrossing, you should give it a chance.

You both convinced me. I'll give it a go and if it grabs me great otherwise I chuck it on the to be completed pile aka will probably never touch again. Out of curiosity does anyone know how well it runs on the stream deck? Thinking of getting one but am still on the fence.

Soldato
I hated Dark Souls
I hated Sekiro

Elden Ring was awesome
I love souls
I'm terrible at Sekiro
Elden Ring was a sometimes enjoyable slog.

Open world was a mistake and the combat has become so spammy it feels like I'm spending 90% of every combat encounter dodging a 6 hit combo with a nice delayed attacked to finish it off.

Associate
Personally I love the open world games.
Three characters 1,365.7 hours and counting. I have got my moneys worth.
Latest is 80 Faith poor Placidusax was dead before he could take off.
Retribution was so sweet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom