*** Elden Ring ***

Soldato
Gracious me. I've still yet to complete the game but still had Mohg to deal with after giving up on him too. After an hour of trying an assortment of different things I finally managed to clown him but had to resort to the Comet Azur and Tiche as the distraction. Roll on the DLC!

Soldato
I've only ever used the one character with Elden Ring and despite putting 30+ hours in I've only (with luck on my side) defeated the first boss. I loved the Elden Ring world and nearly all my game time was literally spent wondering around, mostly in amazement with how big the world is (and i've still barely moved from map start position). I'd like to get involved with the DLC but the thought of getting to the point where I have access (from what I've read) scares me a little.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got any tips or advice on how to eliminate in-game stuttering ? When the game was released I played it on PS5, but with the DLC coming out in summer I thought I'd build a new character using the PC version. However, the stuttering can be really bad at times.

Associate
Anyone got any tips or advice on how to eliminate in-game stuttering ? When the game was released I played it on PS5, but with the DLC coming out in summer I thought I'd build a new character using the PC version. However, the stuttering can be really bad at times.
I had the game on an old disc HDD and moved to SSD which solved stuttering for me on release - I'm not sure on your specs :)

Associate
Is this game accessible for people who tried Souls games and sucked at them? Seen lots of videos and really want to play but I managed about 2 hours of trying at Bloodborne and had to call it.

Soldato
Is this game accessible for people who tried Souls games and sucked at them? Seen lots of videos and really want to play but I managed about 2 hours of trying at Bloodborne and had to call it.
Yes. I could never get on with any previous souls game but ER clicked with me as it is truly an open-world game and as silly as it sounds one of the previous complaints, especially when I tried Demon Souls remake on PS5 was the lack of duck/jump which felt alien to me.

Associate
I had the game on an old disc HDD and moved to SSD which solved stuttering for me on release - I'm not sure on your specs :)
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think my PC's specs are at fault ( Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4090FE, 32GB ). The game is installed on a NVMe drive. At launch I'd heard there were issues with stuttering on PC, but wrongly assumed they'd been fixed by now. From looking on various social media sites the problem still seems quite widespread. Doesn't appear to be a consistent "fix" from what I can see :(

Associate
Yes. I could never get on with any previous souls game but ER clicked with me as it is truly an open-world game and as silly as it sounds one of the previous complaints, especially when I tried Demon Souls remake on PS5 was the lack of duck/jump which felt alien to me.
Thanks I may give it a go, seems very reasonably priced now so I'll not feel guilty if it falls by the wayside again.

Soldato
Bought this on Thursday last week, managed about 10 hours so far. Enjoying the game but didn't realise it was going to be this hard.
I decided to be a astrologer and keep away from enemies with spells. I kept getting killed in one or two hits by a gold knight on a horse outside the main entrance. I had to leave him, but I got a horse now and my god that's a game changer, I killed him and leveled up about 3 times and got to level 21.
Is the horse used through out the game as Its made enemies a lot easier?
I went exploring and found a dragon asleep and managed to kill him from behind it took bloody ages but I got an insane amount of exp.
I'm really unsure where I'm meant to be going though as I'm struggling to find the story.
I killed godrick? In this big castle which I think is meant to be the starting boss. I got 3 wolves and a barbarian lady to help me then I shot him with my rock spell.
I'm just struggling on what I'm meant to be doing, I'm just exploring on the horse, but if I get hit I'm dead in one or two shots. I found a meteorite staff and a rock spell that helped with boss fights in the starting area but should I be finding spells as I only have my blue one and the purple rock spell.
What level should I be after beating godrick, I'm level 48 at the moment but if it's true that this is like dark souls which I gave up after a couple hours, this is going to get very hard soon.

Soldato
Bought this on Thursday last week, managed about 10 hours so far. Enjoying the game but didn't realise it was going to be this hard.
I decided to be a astrologer and keep away from enemies with spells. I kept getting killed in one or two hits by a gold knight on a horse outside the main entrance. I had to leave him, but I got a horse now and my god that's a game changer, I killed him and leveled up about 3 times and got to level 21.
I went exploring and found a dragon asleep and managed to kill him from behind it took bloody ages but I got an insane amount of exp.
I'm really unsure where I'm meant to be going though as I'm struggling to find the story.
I killed godrick? In this big castle which I think is meant to be the starting boss. I got 3 wolves and a barbarian lady to help me then I shot him with my rock spell.
I'm just struggling on what I'm meant to be doing, I'm just exploring on the horse, but if I get hit I'm dead in one or two shots. I found a meteorite staff and a rock spell that helped with boss fights in the starting area but should I be finding spells as I only have my blue one and the purple rock spell.
What level should I be after beating godrick, I'm level 48 at the moment but if it's true that this is like dark souls which I gave up after a couple hours, this is going to get very hard soon.

You can go where you like, but the 'story' unfolds as you follow the light beams on the map.

Soldato
You can go where you like, but the 'story' unfolds as you follow the light beams on the map.
Thanks.
Do I keep the my horse and 3 wolves throughout as it's made traveling a lot quick and the wolves are really good in some of my boss fights I've had.
I have found another summons, he's a alright but cost a 100 mana points which drains my bar completely then I need to use a blue potion straight away. The wolves seem better, is there any I should be looking out for?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks.
Do I keep the my horse and 3 wolves throughout as it's made traveling a lot quick and the wolves are really good in some of my boss fights I've had.
I have found another summons, he's a light but cost a 100 mana points which drains my bar completely then I need to use a blue potion straight away. The wolves seem better, is there any I should be looking out for?

You will find other summons as you play. Experiment.

Associate

It's the way of the game, no quests, objectives etc. I ended up using a guide online which I'd recommend if you are getting frustrated and can just use it to extract general pointers of where to go / what to achieve in various areas. I over-used the guide and basically had it on a second screen guiding me and now I wish I hadn't as it took some of the fun away.

If you follow the yellow lines & explore, you'll find the way. Overall though, I'd recommend roughly sticking to the areas you are meant to be in (this isn't a rule of course and there's lot's of fun to be had going somewhere you definitely shouldnt be!)

Beating the mini-bosses in dungeons gets you a lot of summons & you'll get plenty of spells along the way.

In terms of levels, I wouldn't worry too much as it doesn't matter how strong you are, you can flatten a main boss one minute and get destroyed by two imps the next :). Level 48 for Godrick is on the high side I think, but I guess that's the way it goes if you do a lot of exploration. Just be careful that you are using your levelling points sensibly. I had a massive desire to use a specific set of armour, so I was grinding enemies to get all the pieces, but as I was doing that the armour weight was so high that I had to put most of the levels into endurance, which meant I was a bit unbalanced. As far as I know, the enemies don't scale to your level but obviously higher levels need more runes so for a while after that I couldn't level up my main stats as I wasn't getting enough runes.

I'm doind a second run through now (not New Game+) and I'm keeping the guide use to a minimum mainly to check if I'm missing anything interesting from an area before moving on and I'm trying to keep my level down a bit, as I ended up something like level 180 last time which made even the NG+ too easy. Also doing a pure melee, samurai build for now at least. More than any other game I've played, there's no right or wrong way of doing things in Elden Ring.

Soldato
It's the way of the game, no quests, objectives etc. I ended up using a guide online which I'd recommend if you are getting frustrated and can just use it to extract general pointers of where to go / what to achieve in various areas. I over-used the guide and basically had it on a second screen guiding me and now I wish I hadn't as it took some of the fun away.

If you follow the yellow lines & explore, you'll find the way. Overall though, I'd recommend roughly sticking to the areas you are meant to be in (this isn't a rule of course and there's lot's of fun to be had going somewhere you definitely shouldnt be!)

Beating the mini-bosses in dungeons gets you a lot of summons & you'll get plenty of spells along the way.

In terms of levels, I wouldn't worry too much as it doesn't matter how strong you are, you can flatten a main boss one minute and get destroyed by two imps the next :). Level 48 for Godrick is on the high side I think, but I guess that's the way it goes if you do a lot of exploration. Just be careful that you are using your levelling points sensibly. I had a massive desire to use a specific set of armour, so I was grinding enemies to get all the pieces, but as I was doing that the armour weight was so high that I had to put most of the levels into endurance, which meant I was a bit unbalanced. As far as I know, the enemies don't scale to your level but obviously higher levels need more runes so for a while after that I couldn't level up my main stats as I wasn't getting enough runes.

I'm doind a second run through now (not New Game+) and I'm keeping the guide use to a minimum mainly to check if I'm missing anything interesting from an area before moving on and I'm trying to keep my level down a bit, as I ended up something like level 180 last time which made even the NG+ too easy. Also doing a pure melee, samurai build for now at least. More than any other game I've played, there's no right or wrong way of doing things in Elden Ring.
Thanks for the advice.
I see the yellow waypoints having arrows so I'm guessing I'll follow them, while exploring the area.
I won't bother with a guide, but it would be good to know where some better equipment is but I'm sure I'll find something on my travels.
I have a meteorite staff that seems really good as I spent majority of my points into intelligence but I feel like it's an early level weapon near start of me exploring. Also I see I have these smithing stones that I can upgrade weapons to but it won't let me do the staff, do I need to go elsewhere to upgrade magical weapons?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the advice.
I see the yellow waypoints having arrows so I'm guessing I'll follow them, while exploring the area.
I won't bother with a guide, but it would be good to know where some better equipment is but I'm sure I'll find something on my travels.
I have a meteorite staff that seems really good as I spent majority of my points into intelligence but I feel like it's an early level weapon near start of me exploring. Also I see I have these smithing stones that I can upgrade weapons to but it won't let me do the staff, do I need to go elsewhere to upgrade magical weapons?
Metorite Staff is an excellent early-mid game staff, it can carry you very far through the game. I used it for a long while, not sure exactly when I moved on but it was well into the game. The guides you could read would tell you to go get it, put it that way.

To upgrage magical items you need somber smithing stones. They are rarer, but IIRC you need less of them. Upgrading your weapons is essential; more important than reaching any particular level so always be on the look out for smithing stones, particularly the somber ones. Basically loot everything, there's no weight limit except what you have equiped.

Edit - You can't upgrade the metorite staff; just checked as it's been a while since I used it! Good thing about that is that it saves your somber smithing stones for other items
Edit Edit - One of the reasons it is so good is that it has an "S" scaling with Intelligence, so it will suit your INT build nicely.

Last edited:
Soldato
That makes sense about the meteorite staff, I think it's probably making me op a bit, as I was level 45 and killed godrick on my second go thanks to it also enhancing gravity spells which I think is the rock spell that I think I picked up near where I found the staff. I hit him about 8 times and he was dead. Think I need to build my health and mana bar up though as I get killed way to quickly and the rock spell drinks mana.

Edit: should I upgrade my wolves or save the plants for another better summons that I find later in the game. To be fair the wolves are great for agro while pelt the bosses quite quickly.

Last edited:
Associate
That makes sense about the meteorite staff, I think it's probably making me op a bit, as I was level 45 and killed godrick on my second go thanks to it also enhancing gravity spells which I think is the rock spell that I think I picked up near where I found the staff. I hit him about 8 times and he was dead. Think I need to build my health and mana bar up though as I get killed way to quickly and the rock spell drinks mana.

Edit: should I upgrade my wolves or save the plants for another better summons that I find later in the game. To be fair the wolves are great for agro while pelt the bosses quite quickly.

Not sure on the summons tbh; on my first run through I didn't use them until mid/end game as I used the jellyfish a few times early on and didn't feel like it did much. This time round I've upgraded the jellyfish and use it often.

There are loads of summons and I've only ever used a few of them.

You can get plenty of the plants to upgrade to lower levels eventually, so defintely upgrade the wolves if you like using them.

Soldato
Wolves are great for running agro on groups to keep you free to cast spells from a distance. Why are they called lone wolves when there’s three of them? ;)

The Jellyfish is great for bosses who use AOE ground based spells, such as lava or earthquakes and other shock effects spells. They are also great in areas with puddles of poison and rot. This is because the jellyfish is largely immune to such effects.

So use Jellyfish against Margit, magma warm and Godrick for best effect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wolves are great for running agro on groups to keep you free to cast spells from a distance. Why are they called lone wolves when there’s three of them? ;)

The Jellyfish is great for bosses who use AOE ground based spells, such as lava or earthquakes and other shock effects spells. They are also great in areas with puddles of poison and rot. This is because the jellyfish is largely immune to such effects.

So use Jellyfish against Margit, magma warm and Godrick for best effect.
They're dead already I was level 40+ and blasted the shot out of them.

Back
Top Bottom