Associate
Just killed the
Fire Giant
.... easily the worst boss in the game thus far. Think I had about 30 attempts before I finally killed him. I think this boss will be a impassable barrier for some players. Definitely needs some fine-tuning to make things a bit fairer. Oh, and the camera needs fixing ; half the time you can't see what's going on. I won't be doing a NG+ now - this boss ( and the next one is meant to be similar in terms of RNG, dodgy mechanics ) has put me off.

Soldato
This is still the only game I've been playing. I'm pretty much just a weekend gamer now, but I have no desire to play anything else.
It's still fun, still running fine on PS4 Pro, and it just feels like there is so much left to do still.

Soldato
The open world Souls feels like it is going to be a really nice balance. Im hooked. The calming music and the prospect of intense battles is awesome.

I have to say the music is something I’m disappointed with in one key area - and that is exploring.

Just seems like the same short track on a loop.

Anyone remember Morrowind, or Oblivion?

The world music was varied and actually really good. Elden Ring has some good boss music but elsewhere I feel it’s lacking a bit.

Caporegime
Just killed the
Fire Giant
.... easily the worst boss in the game thus far. Think I had about 30 attempts before I finally killed him. I think this boss will be a impassable barrier for some players. Definitely needs some fine-tuning to make things a bit fairer. Oh, and the camera needs fixing ; half the time you can't see what's going on. I won't be doing a NG+ now - this boss ( and the next one is meant to be similar in terms of RNG, dodgy mechanics ) has put me off.

The later bosses are the one thing that make me wonder if I’ll ever complete the game lol, I’ve not read anything about them so I might just be scaring myself unnecessarily BUT it’s my first from game and I’m expecting death 100% of the time.

What build were you using and what was your stats/level when you took on that boss?

Associate
The later bosses are the one thing that make me wonder if I’ll ever complete the game lol, I’ve not read anything about them so I might just be scaring myself unnecessarily BUT it’s my first from game and I’m expecting death 100% of the time.

What build were you using and what was your stats/level when you took on that boss?

My character is a sorceror and was about lvl 150 at the time with vigor 40 and intelligence at 80. So the difficulty wasn't anything to do with being underlevelled or having too few HP. It was a complete waste of time to try and attack this boss with spells, or stay at range. He has several moves that have much greater range than you, and many are one shot ... or near one shot kills. Essentially this boss fight forces you to melee ( might even be worthwhile respeccing your stats for this fight alone ) and even then there is a huge amount of RNG ; he can get into a routine where he rolls away to maintain distance, and the rolls can one shot kill you if you aren't careful, or starts spamming fire spells / AoE attacks which make it impossible to stay in close for more than a few seconds. To succeed you really need him to remain relatively passive ie. not rolling away, not using AoE attacks for both phases of his fight. And that is virtually never. Oh, and just to add to the frustration using summons is almost a waste of time. They never take aggro off you and do negligible damage ( I tried them all, including a mimic tear upgraded to +10 ).

Overall still love the game, I've sunk a lot of time into it, but this encounter was 100% trash and unfair. It will stop some players dead in their tracks, and he's a mandatory kill to progress in the game.

Last edited:
Associate
My character is a sorceror and was about lvl 150 at the time with vigor 40 and intelligence at 80. So the difficulty wasn't anything to do with being underlevelled or having too few HP. It was a complete waste of time to try and attack this boss with spells, or stay at range. He has several moves that have much greater range than you, and many are one shot ... or near one shot kills. Essentially this boss fights forces you to melee ( might even be worthwhile respeccing your stats for this fight alone ) and even then there is a huge amount of RNG ; he can get into a routine where he rolls away to maintain distance, and the rolls can one shot kill you if you aren't careful, or starts spamming fire spells / AoE attacks which make it impossible to stay in close for more than a few seconds. To succeed you really need him to remain relatively passive ie. not rolling away, not using AoE attacks for both phases of his fight. And that is virtually never. Oh, and just to add to the frustration using summons is virtually a waste of time. They never take aggro off you do negligible damage ( I tried them all, including a mimic tear upgraded to +10 ).

Overall still love the game, I've sunk a lot of time into it, but this encounter was 100% trash and unfair. It will stop some players dead in their tracks, and he's a mandatory kill to progress in the game.

ps. I should add that allegedly there used to be a "cheese" way for killing this boss ie. he took lethal damage if he fell from a height ( you could kite him to a mountain ledge ) but this has been patched out. I would wager that many players who raced through the game on release probably defaulted to using this strategy to kill him. That option doesn't exist now ... you have to kill him precisely the way From Software intended.

Associate
I must have been lucky with the RNG with him as I managed it on my 2nd go melee. Now the boss in haligtree is some proper bs, lvl 135 and I constantly get one shot on 2nd phase.

Melee is definitely the way to go with this boss, especially a DEX build. Not very good design to force the player down that route.

Soldato
As if someone just stood there and hit the wall 50 times. Must’ve been a bit of a surprise lol

Future messages are going to be a nightmare ‘hit wall 100 times for secret!’

Caporegime
My character is a sorceror and was about lvl 150 at the time with vigor 40 and intelligence at 80. So the difficulty wasn't anything to do with being underlevelled or having too few HP. It was a complete waste of time to try and attack this boss with spells, or stay at range. He has several moves that have much greater range than you, and many are one shot ... or near one shot kills. Essentially this boss fight forces you to melee ( might even be worthwhile respeccing your stats for this fight alone ) and even then there is a huge amount of RNG ; he can get into a routine where he rolls away to maintain distance, and the rolls can one shot kill you if you aren't careful, or starts spamming fire spells / AoE attacks which make it impossible to stay in close for more than a few seconds. To succeed you really need him to remain relatively passive ie. not rolling away, not using AoE attacks for both phases of his fight. And that is virtually never. Oh, and just to add to the frustration using summons is almost a waste of time. They never take aggro off you and do negligible damage ( I tried them all, including a mimic tear upgraded to +10 ).

Oh I wasn’t trying to say you were under levelled or anything, just curious of your build

Soldato
How are people finding the difficulty compared to a regular Souls game ? I have only ever played a bit of the first Dark Souls game and couldn't get passed the first boss :o Does the open world aspect make things a bit more enjoyable ?

Soldato
How are people finding the difficulty compared to a regular Souls game ? I have only ever played a bit of the first Dark Souls game and couldn't get passed the first boss :o Does the open world aspect make things a bit more enjoyable ?

Definitely does make life easier in my view. You can go off wandering and grab some great gear and many bosses are optional. There’s a couple of road blocks with must beat bosses to progress story but you can go away and level up before fighting them. So you should never be in a position where you are attempting bosses a 100 times because there’s nothing else to do.

Also, sites of grace act as spawn points when you die, and there are loads of them. So you should never have to replay too much of an area if you die.

The game is massive, so there’s always places to go and things to do. You still have to be careful, even with standard enemies early on. If you wander too far you will just have to run and grab goodies as if you try and fight you will be one shotted.

In my view, it’s infinitely more accessible than traditional souls games. But don’t make the mistake of thinking it’s easy. It does not hold your hand and I guarantee you will struggle to get your head around it initially without help. Fortunately there’s plenty of support out there so you should never be stuck. But if you don’t like reading up about a game and learning the intricate mechanics, you might struggle.

If you are happy to seek help, you will find it a challenging but rewarding game. But it’s not soul destroying!! :p

Soldato
Definitely does make life easier in my view. You can go off wandering and grab some great gear and many bosses are optional. There’s a couple of road blocks with must beat bosses to progress story but you can go away and level up before fighting them. So you should never be in a position where you are attempting bosses a 100 times because there’s nothing else to do.

Also, sites of grace act as spawn points when you die, and there are loads of them. So you should never have to replay too much of an area if you die.

The game is massive, so there’s always places to go and things to do. You still have to be careful, even with standard enemies early on. If you wander too far you will just have to run and grab goodies as if you try and fight you will be one shotted.

In my view, it’s infinitely more accessible than traditional souls games. But don’t make the mistake of thinking it’s easy. It does not hold your hand and I guarantee you will struggle to get your head around it initially without help. Fortunately there’s plenty of support out there so you should never be stuck. But if you don’t like reading up about a game and learning the intricate mechanics, you might struggle.

If you are happy to seek help, you will find it a challenging but rewarding game. But it’s not soul destroying!! :p

I have watched a bit of gameplay on youtube, and also a few guides giving tips for new players. I know it isn't going to be a cake walk :D but the open world design appeals to me. Will probably pick it up once I finish with AC Valhalla.

Associate
I must have been lucky with the RNG with him as I managed it on my 2nd go melee. Now the boss in haligtree is some proper bs, lvl 135 and I constantly get one shot on 2nd phase.

Grab a great shield for that boss, makes it so much easier.
Also take in some players with you, the mimic isn't great for it as it just ends up healing the boss.
As soon as the 2nd phase starts, unlock camera and run away.

Associate
OP
If I'm struggling with a boss the first thing I think is what type of damage is he doing to me. At the grace I then put on a negation talisman for that type of damage (eg physical, fire, lightning etc). I then go through my armour pieces and swap to the best negation of the particular type. If you are struggling with a second phase of a boss save your summon until that stage to help.

Soldato
This game is so good, just exploring Limgrave and found some really cool stuff and some caves, found a nice Greatsword in a chest :D

So far it seems bosses are optional? I have downed one in the Catacombs, but afterwards I felt like I didnt really need to do it like say in Demon Souls where you had to beat one to progress, i'm assuming there will be bosses that you have to beat in order to progress?

Back
Top Bottom