Electric Toothbrush

Associate
As a sceptic from quite a while ago I can honestly say after using an electric for around a year and a half now the difference is amazing. I'd never go back to a manual

Soldato
I just got the Atmoko electric brush from a HUKD Amazon deal today and used it for the first time, amazing feeling over my old manual toothbrush, feels so good and my mouth feels amazing. I previously had some cheapo Oral B electric brush before going back to manual and this one really feels like an upgrade. It's a shame the heads are unique to it so after a few changes, it'll end up being e-waste but it seems good so far for the price.

Man of Honour
As a sceptic from quite a while ago I can honestly say after using an electric for around a year and a half now the difference is amazing. I'd never go back to a manual

I was never sceptical about them, but after I took the plunge and bought one, I wished that I’d got one earlier.
Rather like the first time that I drove an automatic when on vacation in Georgia U.S., I didn’t get rid of my manual Volvo when I returned, but I knew that when the time came to replace it, it would be with an automatic.
I’ve never had a stick shift since, save for rentals in Spain or Portugal, and even then I resent it.

Associate
I was never sceptical about them, but after I took the plunge and bought one, I wished that I’d got one earlier.
Rather like the first time that I drove an automatic when on vacation in Georgia U.S., I didn’t get rid of my manual Volvo when I returned, but I knew that when the time came to replace it, it would be with an automatic.
I’ve never had a stick shift since, save for rentals in Spain or Portugal, and even then I resent it.
With me I think I used an electric when I was younger and felt really weird not having to "brush" with your hand as much, so felt like I was cleaning more with a manual brush.

Soldato
Fast Charge Toothbrush £500, seriously! :eek:

I appreciate that it has to be built to a higher spec but i don't see how that warrants a extra £460.

Associate
I had been using an oral b electric toothbrush since 2014 and it recently died so I decided to spend a few more quid and got a Oral-B iO7 for £130 and it has been worth every penny. A fantastic clean and my gums have improved dramatically in just a few weeks. Highly recommend.

Soldato
Soldato
all genuine genuine oral-b heads are expensive - price of the body , like for electric shavers, becomes insignificant over a lifetime,
that's one purchase I've been conned by on ebay - why the manufacture can't do something clever to avoid forgeries I don't know,
it would nearly be cost effective to embed an rfid chip,
wonder how nespresso/george are getting on avoiding pattern copies of their newish virtuoso pods

Soldato
I started using an electric 2 years ago and my teeth are now the worst they've been in ever, I will need to go to the hygienist for the first time in my life. Since going back to a normal toothbrush they haven't gotten any worse, but totally unimpressed with electric toothbrushes (and yes I was changing heads within 3 months)

Associate
What’s worsened with your teeth? Tartar build up?

I’ve been using an electric toothbrush for years in combination with floss and interdental brushes and rarely have issues.

The reach and cleaning efficiency is unmatched by what I could do with a manual brush.

To clarify what I mean by reach, obviously I can move both a manual and electric to the same spot but trying to brush with the same efficiency with a manual is harder in certain spots.

With an electric the brushing power is the same regardless of where I hold it.

Soldato
What’s worsened with your teeth? Tartar build up?

I’ve been using an electric toothbrush for years in combination with floss and interdental brushes and rarely have issues.

The reach and cleaning efficiency is unmatched by what I could do with a manual brush.

To clarify what I mean by reach, obviously I can move both a manual and electric to the same spot but trying to brush with the same efficiency with a manual is harder in certain spots.

With an electric the brushing power is the same regardless of where I hold it.

Yes tartar build up, particularly around/behind my front teeth. Using the electric as per instructions and with the built in timer, I have visible tartar at the bases/in between all of my teeth. Literally never had that with 40 years of manual brushing and not gotten any worse since switching back.

My teeth/mouth feel noticeably cleaner for longer with manual, I end up using the electric 4 times a day or my mouth feels wrong, and even then it's still building up which I don't get with manual.

I don't have any issues getting behind my back teeth with a manual either

Associate
Yes tartar build up, particularly around/behind my front teeth. Using the electric as per instructions and with the built in timer, I have visible tartar at the bases/in between all of my teeth. Literally never had that with 40 years of manual brushing and not gotten any worse since switching back.

My teeth/mouth feel noticeably cleaner for longer with manual, I end up using the electric 4 times a day or my mouth feels wrong, and even then it's still building up which I don't get with manual.

I don't have any issues getting behind my back teeth with a manual either

It surprises me that you've found electric toothbrushes less useful than a manual. I'd certainly change back to a manual in your case then.

I tend to leave the head on each tooth surface for a couple of seconds, with minimal pressure letting the head do the work and rarely have any tartar build up.

Soldato
yes - sounds like technique problem - do need a mirror , the way you move brush on tooth surface matters.
eg. rotating brush both on a horizontal and vertical planes across back of front teeth - agree that is the hardest place to clean, though

Back
Top Bottom