Elite:Dangerous

Soldato
Just picked this game up for the Vive but having never played it before (or any other flight sim) I'm having a hell of a job getting into it.

Just running through the training and its taken 20 mins to figure out how to land. Now I keep dying on the basic combat mission.

So many different keys to press how are you all doing it with the head set on? I'm constantly having to take it off to see the key board?

Has any one got any advice for a total Noob?

I didn't realize how in depth this game was, I should have done some more research. My old brain cant keep up :)

Soldato
flying is okay when I'm not doing loop the loops :) its the landing I'm having trouble with.

Just had a look into voice attack and have to say it looks great.

Also had to google what a HOTAS is, think it would be wasted on me just not that into it.

I'm in two minds whether to refund or not. Part of me really wants to get into it but I just don't think I have the time to devote to it any more.

I need games that I can just jump in and out of now, maybe EVE valkyrie would be better? or Everspace?

I'll definitely give ED another go without VR before making my mind up.

I

Soldato
If you just want to pew pew elite can do that, you just find a station with a RES (resource extraction site) near it and drop in and out when you want, you'll need to grind a little to get credits for something suitable and the rebuy but that's quite easy.

Hotas is nice because your movements in real world are echoed in game, I have the t flight and it does the job fine and is cheap plus works nicely with dcs as well.

If you fancy credit earning without the loss worry, I can set a private group up and you can fly a taipan from my anaconda.

Soldato
Well so much for refunding. some how managed to put 19 hours into this already, and there's me saying I don't have the time to play it.
It's that thing where at 10 at night you say your'll go to bed in a minute then the next thing you know its 2 in the morning.

I still have no clue what I'm doing but I've figured out how to bounty hunt at ringed planets which is great fun.

I've still not ventured very far. I tried but ran out of fuel, this was before I found out you can get a fuel scoop.

It's a real experiance in VR, probably one of the best I've had yet but I'm having a hard time navigating the galaxy maps, they don't seem to work well in VR. Any one got any tips for using them and tips in general?

Associate
OP
I'm having a hard time navigating the galaxy maps, they don't seem to work well in VR. Any one got any tips for using them and tips in general?

I use the mouse to navigate the galaxy map, though as you can't see the mouse with the headset on you need to do it by touch. I have the mouse next to my joystick so it's easy enough to find.

The big problem has always been selecting the system. I use the mouse the hover over or near the system, then tap the joystick which makes the targeting ring select the system.

Not elegant, but it seems to work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom