Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Well a Labour govt would mean everyone is poor, no-one owns anything and all are 100% reliant on benefits - a leftie utopia.
utter nonsense!.

even a proper old school hard labour is not that bad and the current lot are really just left of centre. you make it sound like they are trying for a communist state.

hell kier starmer is more middle class than 90% of Tory voters.

Last edited:
utter nonsense!.

even a proper old school hard labour is not that bad and the current lot are really just left of centre. you make it sound like they are trying for a communist state.

hell kier starmer is more middle class than 90% of Tory voters.
Read that as heil keir starmer lol.

Anyway don’t worry we wont find out who is right as Labour will screw up any electoral advantage in the coming months.

wow ok. that is out of order.

fwiw I have never voted labour in my life but I will vote for them in a heart beat if it gets rid of the current scumbags. they are a national disgrace and should not be incharge of a children's party let alone a country.

For some people being contrarian despite the obvious in front of them is a way to feel special/different :D

I have them on ignore btw it’s like a froth filter.

Last edited:
Hoping this mild spell holds so that heating can stay off.

I fully expect it to be means tested next time, that or they’ll just raise another tax to take it back elsewhere.

No idea how they can.. Except something silly like the council tax thing.
I can't think of an easy fair way.

In the process of moving and got a final bill of about £700, went back through the charges (I normally didn't deal with the gas/electric, just everything else). They had randomly charged us for 4600kwh for a 45 day period, when it would normally be 5-600. They now owe us a few quid instead. This was on a smart meter too.

So it's worth challenging the bills you do get.

Last edited:
Well the results are in from EDF, albeit not officially billed yet.

~£130 for gas in December, up from ~£30 in November.
~£90 for electric in December, up from ~£80 in November.

I think it's fair to say that December was hard on us all. I hope that January is a little milder than normal, to even out December's temperatures.

Last edited:
Wow, how are you using so little?
I had heating on 3 times total over that really cold week and half. Otherwise just showers. Only me so nobody else adding costs.

Light hob cooking but not much apparent from a few batch cooks on Sunday afternoon and electric is 3 days WFH and 2 evenings and the other days office or seeing my children.

Edit: to note I am on variable standard tarrif with Octopus also. No special deal.

Last edited:
Yep, my EDF results are in. £495 for december.

It would be helpful for context when everyone is sharing to know whether you're in a deal or not or the info is worthless.

So that £495 for me is:

586 kwh - £214 of electric
2607 kwh - £281 of gas

Courtesy of moving supplier who promptly went bust about 18 months ago and being shoved onto the basic tariff with EDF as prices started going up I've been on the cap tariff throughout.

My electric was up £40 on the month which is odd, I wasn't here any more than usual (2 people in a very badly insulated 1910 house who often WFH, lots of smart home etc) I can only assume more cooking etc.. the gas though, crikey, £281 in December vs £105 in November.

That's the impact of saying sod it it's cold, we can afford it, just put the heating on but I can see how that could totally torpedo some people.

EDF put our DD up to £360ish earlier this year which means we've got a credit of about £700 which I'm totally fine with, I'd sooner that which I can absorb every month than mad bill shock at some point. I assume the DD will need to come down.

It would be helpful for context when everyone is sharing to know whether you're in a deal or not or the info is worthless.

So that £495 for me is:

2607 kwh - £281 of gas

Courtesy of moving supplier who promptly went bust about 18 months ago and being shoved onto the basic tariff with EDF as prices started going up I've been on the cap tariff throughout.

My electric was up £40 on the month which is odd, I wasn't here any more than usual (2 people in a very badly insulated 1910 house who often WFH, lots of smart home etc) I can only assume more cooking etc.. the gas though, crikey, £281 in December vs £105 in November.

That's the impact of saying sod it it's cold, we can afford it, just put the heating on but I can see how that could totally torpedo some people.

EDF put our DD up to £360ish earlier this year which means we've got a credit of about £700 which I'm totally fine with, I'd sooner that which I can absorb every month than mad bill shock at some point. I assume the DD will need to come down.

Mine not much different. £300 on Gas and just over £100 on electricity. I don't think anyone is on a deal now as the cap is the cheapest rate to go on. £350 in credit at the moment so should be fine till the summer. Currently including government paying £315 a month.

Last edited:
£318 for December for me, that's pretty good considering we have 7 in the house and December's cold snap and kids off school for Christmas.

I say good, it's not but with current situation not bad

£318 for December for me, that's pretty good considering we have 7 in the house and December's cold snap and kids off school for Christmas.

I say good, it's not but with current situation not bad

Very good. We had 5 in ours over Christmas. Although my mother counts for another 1-2 people. Typical boomer leaving the lights on everywhere, wasting water and boiling a full kettle without fail. :P

So that £495 for me is:

2607 kwh - £281 of gas

Easier with a pic

1500kwh of gas!

Edit:
3 bed detached,
1999 build
2 adults
Full Time WFH
Bad insulation
Electric shower

K1e6Biq.jpg

9wBwmna.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I get a lot of lights being left on all day, come in from work and walk around the whole house turning everything off.

What really grinds my gears is the £200 I would normally save now goes into gas and electric so no savings per month for emergencies or possibly even a holiday in a year or so...not going to happen now

gotta love new builds. Gotta unlove the fact that the cat is too bloody stupid to work out how a cat flap works, so we have to leave it wedged open all the time. Gas usage could have been a lot less I'm sure.
2x adults, full time WFH, and my wife is South African and very sensitive to the cold... so we keep things a good couple of degrees above what I would if I were on my own. Tado helps a lot, can just warm her office up to her preferred temperature during her office hours, and the living areas after work...

Last edited:

gotta love new builds. Gotta unlove the fact that the cat is too bloody stupid to work out how a cat flap works, so we have to leave it wedged open all the time. Gas usage could have been a lot less I'm sure.

Going forward I would very much look at a much newer house.
Ours is only 20 years old. It still looks 'new build' but it's so so much worse than my sisters new build!

Back
Top Bottom