Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Depends on where you want to draw the line. A portion of crossrail is being met by the DFT which comes from general taxation, is that any more fair?

You mean the 18 billion spent on a colossal project that mainly benefits Londoners? Or the two million recently handed over like candy to Khan to fund train drivers salaries services on the tube? Round here they can't even find the money to fill in the potholes in the road apparently.

I’ll get back to you guys with more deets later as I deal with it. At work right now so little difficult.
I just needed a place to talk about it and I know you guys understand this stuff a little more than I do.

Apologies if I come across a little emotional.

• I might have missed it but are all readings estimates since you with Eon?
  • Did you remain on variable during that switch period and keep the same direct debit as with previous company?
  • Was you previously on a fixed rate, if so how do the figures compare?
  • When you got moved to Eon did that balance get taken into account for bills initially when you say you was in credit assuming they took new reading or you provided new reading at Eon take over?

If you have been paying on estimate with same direct debit but your rate has been double with Eon compared to your previous fixed then you could have built up an amount of debt over that 6 month period.

If you have been giving readings and they exact each month then your statement should show the shortfall each time.

If they have only estimated and now done a calculation based on todays rate rather than the rate at each month it will be hugely higher also. They are useless and so many things they have probably messed up.

I just received an email from my provider (Eon) saying that our new direct debit will be £335 from April, they also said we were £961 in debit. They took over our previous energy provider.

As of last month we were £83 in credit and did not owe anything. They now randomly sent us this email saying we owe money along with the updated direct debit notification.

This is ******* ridiculous, we will be calling them in the morning because it makes no sense. We are also a two person household with very conservative use of our appliances and everything else generally.

There is zero way we can pay this amount and it seems they just made up a number and are now saying we owe it.

I just cant. I physically cannot afford to pay even remotely close to that kind of direct debit I don't know what to do. Its more than half my rent.

Guessing with the lack of info you may have been on estimated readings for a while and then an actual reading used on change over much higher than estimates, however this would lead to bill with old supplier not the new one. so still doesnt make sense.

What I will say is they are supposed to give you a reasonable amount of time to pay off a large balance, as I understand it 12-15 months without income check, if you want longer you may need to go through finances with them.

With such a large bill it might be worth asking for meter to be checked, will be threatened with a circa £80 fee, but personally I dont believe the story that the vast majority of meters out there which many will be decades old never checked are not faulty.

For reference when I moved in I had really high gas readings (and bills), I got it checked, there was no admittance, but basically bill was written off, fee waived and new meter fitted which gave much lower readings, make of that what you will.

I had a smart meter fitted last week and so far average readings are close to 40% lower vs my old meter which is insane, in this era thats a LOT of money.

• I might have missed it but are all readings estimates since you with Eon?
  • Did you remain on variable during that switch period and keep the same direct debit as with previous company?
  • Was you previously on a fixed rate, if so how do the figures compare?
  • When you got moved to Eon did that balance get taken into account for bills initially when you say you was in credit assuming they took new reading or you provided new reading at Eon take over?
If you have been paying on estimate with same direct debit but your rate has been double with Eon compared to your previous fixed then you could have built up an amount of debt over that 6 month period.

If you have been giving readings and they exact each month then your statement should show the shortfall each time.

If they have only estimated and now done a calculation based on todays rate rather than the rate at each month it will be hugely higher also. They are useless and so many things they have probably messed up.
When we moved over we provided a reading but have unfortunately been on estimated for a few months since then without supplying further readings until this month.

This has likely not helped.

Guessing with the lack of info you may have been on estimated readings for a while and then an actual reading used on change over much higher than estimates, however this would lead to bill with old supplier not the new one. so still doesnt make sense.

What I will say is they are supposed to give you a reasonable amount of time to pay off a large balance, as I understand it 12-15 months without income check, if you want longer you may need to go through finances with them.

With such a large bill it might be worth asking for meter to be checked, will be threatened with a circa £80 fee, but personally I dont believe the story that the vast majority of meters out there which many will be decades old never checked are not faulty.

For reference when I moved in I had really high gas readings (and bills), I got it checked, there was no admittance, but basically bill was written off, fee waived and new meter fitted which gave much lower readings, make of that what you will.

I had a smart meter fitted last week and so far average readings are close to 40% lower vs my old meter which is insane, in this era thats a LOT of money.

They did mention a metre check, our apartments are “new” less than 15 years old. Not to say the metre is fine or anything but it’s likely not that.

Thanks for your reply, and everyone else. I’ll take everything onboard and come back when I have more info.

They did mention a metre check, our apartments are “new” less than 15 years old. Not to say the metre is fine or anything but it’s likely not that.

Thanks for your reply, and everyone else. I’ll take everything onboard and come back when I have more info.
Please keep us up to date, your meter given its age and of course you dont know exactly whats going on yet, probably best to not jump on that idea, but hopefully they will work with you.

-----

Guys I found this water usage calculator here, is useful if considering changing to metered water.

https://www.ccwater.org.uk/watermetercalculator/

For me it only says I will save 25% so not as much as Severn Trent predictor which is a much more generic predictor that cant be fine tuned to usage.

However I also discovered if one finds their metered bill higher or perhaps dont like losing the peace of mind of unlimited use, you can change back to unmetered again within 2 years of having it fitted.

Exactly what I said, a shrug of the shoulders as though to say it is what it is. Something, and I've no idea what, will have to be done, as the measures taken so far don't even scratch the surface of the problem.

We are all going to have to get used to higher costs. And yes while tories are in power only going to be scraps left for the poor.

We are all going to have to get used to higher costs. And yes while tories are in power only going to be scraps left for the poor.
It's not just the poor, it's affecting almost everyone to some extent. Disposable income is shrinking which will surely hit the economy sooner rather than later

It's not just the poor, it's affecting almost everyone to some extent. Disposable income is shrinking which will surely hit the economy sooner rather than later

I don't see how it can be helped short term.

Only way to get money is to take from one demographic and give to another.

Isn't much more to take. We are absolutely on the decline.

I'm amazed some members on here are so blasé about this situation. They're either extremely wealthy or Tory MP's, although the two seem to go hand in hand.

Or, quite possibly, they can budget and haven't maxed out their spending against their income and so have enough slack to cover the increase in bills.

Or, quite possibly, they can budget and haven't maxed out their spending against their income and so have enough slack to cover the increase in bills.
There you go, that's what I'm talking about. How could everyone budget for these increases, they're unprecedented. We also have rising costs of fuel, food and everything else you can think of.

This is where your rather odd ideas of what would happen conflict with reality I'm afraid.

No company reduces a person's wages to "pocket the difference" when there's an income tax cut, because there is no cost difference to the company to pocket, what a bizarre thing to say. The company has no interest in what the employees net pay is, and since everyone's tax status can be different, net pay can vary between employees on the same gross wage anyway.

I was just wondering what extreme Libertarian take you were espousing now, but it seems it's just some general nonsense.

Reading is hard I see. The other poster said tax cuts would just be pocketed by the companies and I was arguing against that.

You have also misunderstood the proposition which is; employees would be willing to accept lower gross salaries with lower income tax because their net salary would remain the same and therefore employers would offer lower gross salaries in response to reduce their costs. Not how it works in reality though.

Last edited:
There you go, that's what I'm talking about. How could everyone budget for these increases, they're unprecedented. We also have rising costs of fuel, food and everything else you can think of.

Easy, I know energy will go up in October so I’m putting some cash aside now to help pay for it

Chances are these energy prices will stay here for ever so stop crying and plan a head

Back
Top Bottom