Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

i just caved. electric heater is on. I cant help but feel i failed my goal. its not about the money for me, as i got lucky and still paying 2019 prices, till april..... but have been desperately trying to do my bit (much to the disbelief of my wife) in the spirit of everyone mucking in.............. but 5 hrs of single digit temps in my man cave, even with 2 hot water bottles and a blanket is all i can take.

If normal people do start buying into this idea (variable domestic pricing & rationing of their own lifestyle/energy use), watch how quickly this will turn from being a mitigation to the current problem of inconsistent generation, to the *solution*.
maybe .. if, regionally, you were given a weeks notice, of days where your electricity would be cheaper in the peak period , you could plan your menu and energy demands in advance,
but, the, seeming, short notice on this evenings saving period, is ominous wrt renewable generation/weather prediction capability.
(it'll become like commuting where you have to plan your travel to reduce wasting your time in queues)

maybe .. if, regionally, you were given a weeks notice, of days where your electricity would be cheaper in the peak period , you could plan your menu and energy demands in advance,
but, the, seeming, short notice on this evenings saving period, is ominous wrt renewable generation/weather prediction capability.
(it'll become like commuting where you have to plan your travel to reduce wasting your time in queues)
This would be preferable.

If they said "during the hours of x & y the rate will be z I could easily make the most of that

Doesn't matter to me when I do the washing/tumble. And if the rate was cheaper I'd utilise it

Last edited:
This would be preferable.

If they said "during the hours of x & y the rate will be z I could easily make the most of that

Doesn't matter to me when I do the washing/tumble. And if the rate was cheaper I'd utilise it

They should go the opposite, unit rates between 5pm-6pm are double or triple their usual amount.

Less open to abuse than a discounted scheme.

They should go the opposite, unit rates between 5pm-6pm are double or triple their usual amount.

This is the way energy charging is heading.
Higher peak time costs will steer people to use energy at less intensive times.

No one with an EV will be home charging from 4-8pm, unless for an emergency situation, or, you're happy paying LOL pricing.

EDF emailed me less than 15 minutes ago, offering to opt-in to tonight's 5pm-6pm beat-the-peak. Talk about short notice, but for £3/kWh I can't complain.

We're both working from home today so gonna finish before 5, turn off anything we can and go to John Lewis to swap the Kitchen Aid mixer we bought yesterday for one that's hopefully not dented. :)

Back
Top Bottom