Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Just to update my post above, looks like the Q2 (Apr-Jun) will be capped again, this time at the new higher rate of £3000 {insert for typical household disclaimer}

If the government wants to repair its image and goodwill, I would hope they would extend the cap for another 6 months. It would cost them very little in the grand scheme of things.

Either way my monthly bill would hopefully drop considerably due to the fact we wouldn't be so reliant on our gas central heating and we'd just need gas to heat water and to cook.

This is the problem. People really don’t understand the numbers and get excited by headlines. What you have written is completely wrong
I have worked for companies who think exactly as I said, granted not all companies might think that way.

Feel free to explain.

Last edited:
They seem to be paying UK taxes on their business here and they seem to paying the windfall tax on their profits here. Go take it up with the government if you don't like it.
Luckily for me I'm on a cheap deal for a while yet, but I do have some sympathy for people getting rinsed with energy costs whilst companies rake it in. You may have a different opinion.

If BP and Shell etc are the companies that PRODUCE the fuel, and yet they are making the most profits they have ever made, why has the market price gone up?

There didn't end up being a cataclysmic shortage, and there clearly wasn't any expenditure by BP and Shell to avoid a shortage that meant it would cost them more to produce it (as they have made record profits).

So just dial it all back and actually think about it.

"Inflation" is total scam.

Someone, somewhere, has made a **** ton more money at the expense of everyone else for a product that clearly did not get more expensive to produce at its fundamental level.

Last edited:
Supply and demand hence refining margins were up as demand was high vs supply.

Not sure about shortages comment we literally had people queuing for hours to get fuel this year.

If BP and Shell etc are the companies that PRODUCE the fuel, and yet they are making the most profits they have ever made, why has the market price gone up?

There didn't end up being a cataclysmic shortage, and there clearly wasn't any expenditure by BP and Shell to avoid a shortage that meant it would cost them more to produce it (as they have made record profits).

So just dial it all back and actually think about it.

"Inflation" is total scam.

Someone, somewhere, has made a **** ton more money at the expense of everyone else for a product that clearly did not get more expensive to produce at its fundamental level.

Would it have better for you to justify the high prices, if the country did have a shortage and was having blackouts etc... ? The cost increase was never about it being 'more expensive to produce at its fundamental level' :rolleyes:
-> A significant amount of planning and cost has gone into ensuring there was no impact on UK energy supplies.

Last edited:
Would it have better for you to justify the high prices, if the country did have a shortage and was having blackouts etc... ? The cost increase was never about it being 'more expensive to produce at its fundamental level' :rolleyes:

So why has it gone up then? Because of irrational capitalist market forces that do nothing but serve to make the rich even richer?

Tell me why we are all paying so much more for fuel, whilst justifying the highest profits ever from the companies that produce and sell us the fuel.

So why has it gone up then? Because of irrational capitalist market forces that do nothing but serve to make the rich even richer?

Tell me why we are all paying so much more for fuel, whilst justifying the highest profits ever from the companies that produce and sell us the fuel.

The same reason most commodities go up and and down in price; gold, oil, wheat, grain, rice etc... - the market sets the price based on demand/supply. It's been like this since trading started many hundreds of years ago !

Last edited:

Simply because people buying the stuff on the wholesale markets have been willing to pay, nobody ever said it was costing BP, shell etc 100% more to extract the stuff. There doesn't have to be a shortage for the price to rise, only an expected shortage and futures prices will rise. We saw the exact opposite during covid, oil even went negative in the US for a time, its just how the market functions. If you want state controlled fixed prices then again I direct you to the government, not the oil companies.

The same reason most commodities go up and and down in price; gold, oil, wheat, grain, rice etc... - the market sets the price based on demand/supply. It's been like this since trading started many hundreds of years ago !

"We've always been getting fleeced by the mega rich!"

Cool, thanks.

We need to stop that ****, so we don't have to pay a fortune to heat our homes whilst the Execs at BP and Shell pat themselves on the back and buy themselves some new furnishings for their yachts with the money.

Simply because people buying the stuff on the wholesale markets have been willing to pay, nobody ever said it was costing BP, shell etc 100% more to extract the stuff. There doesn't have to be a shortage for the price to rise, only an expected shortage and futures prices will rise. We saw the exact opposite during covid, oil even went negative in the US for a time, its just how the market functions. If you want state controlled fixed prices then again I direct you to the government, not the oil companies.

Oh I agree. We aboslutely do need legislation to prevent unbridled greed and sky-rocketing wealth inequality.

Last edited:
And the sellers can quietly keep their offers out of the market until the bids start rising... then trickle the offers to match them. Requires collusion across the industry but I don't see that being impossible.

Back
Top Bottom