Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

When calculating the price cap for the last quarter of 2022, Ofgem used the forecast for CfD income that LCCC made in June, when setting the parameters for the CfD in that quarter. At that time we forecast an income of £730m for the quarter. That has translated into a reduction in the price cap of £23 for the typical bill payer –

Sure, but £23 off a £1k+ electricity bill (avg use) isn’t cutting it.
My method saves 43% off that !

So update on my solar month 2
Elec Bill, £97.26, less savings session revenue* and value of solar diverted to hot water at £63.1 = net cost £34.16
Units imported/generated = 647.92.
Cost per kwh £0.053 :D

Generated saving in month of £186.13 vs buying all my units at 34p standard tariff.

*Sure this may be contentious to some, but the solar and batteries directly allowed me to make this amount. Even without this I would have a unit cost of £0.15/kwh

Sure, but £23 off a £1k+ electricity bill (avg use) isn’t cutting it.
My method saves 43% off that !
read the report , just because at source generation costs are cheaper the infrastructure to carry those units are no cheaper than the gas generated units,
so with standing charge (whose current components are controversial anyway) 43% isn't what the customer sees .. whats a link to the article you are referencing.

read the report , just because at source generation costs are cheaper the infrastructure to carry those units are no cheaper than the gas generated units,
so with standing charge (whose current components are controversial anyway) 43% isn't what the customer sees .. whats a link to the article you are referencing.

There is no article - it‘s an option to change the way pricing is applied to electricy bills.

The scenario is:
  • 48% of a customers electricity bill is paid at 50p kWh for the gas generated electricity
  • 52% is paid at the next highest marginal generation, which is usually about 13p kWh (offshore wind)
The saving is because customers will not be paying for 100% of electric genated by gas - as that is not what is happening.

The reason why this hasn’t been implemented yet is because Ofgem and BEIS can’t agree who is responsible for setting the pricing method for energy. Both are saying it’s the other party :rolleyes:
Just needs the Government to intervene!

Last edited:
The critical action the Government can take now is demand the Gas price, which is setting the electricity price for all types of generation, be de-coupled.

A two tier energy pricing system should be created for electricity

1. 42% of electricity in the last 12 months has been generated using gas, so that amount should be priced at the higher gas generated cost.
  2. 58% of electricity has come from other types of generation and should be priced much lower,
-> Therefore reducing the overall electricity price to customers by about 43%, with no additional cost to the government or additional taxes required on companies.
*This will only reduce the cost of electricity.

This diagram shows how the above would work:

52673972707_d000eec80b_c.jpg
This was promised I think i.e market reforms, but they have to get their cream before the public see anything happen.

There is no article - it‘s an option to change the way pricing is applied to electricy bills.

The image you posted has some sort of watermark on it, I presume @jpaul is just asking for a link to the article you took it from, that would surely be more useful and add some clarity to what you're advocating here if you were to add the link?

Doesn't the premium (for market rate over cost to generate) or a fair chunk of it get taken away from the green producers and taken by the government?
I am pretty sure I saw something from Octopus about that happening so they couldn't undercut the suppliers mainly using fossils

In effect forcing them to peg to gas based elect generated prices, but then not allowing them to keep the majority of the profit.
Suits the government, take the extra and choose how/if/when to give it back to us.

I am absolutely disgusted that the government are allowing energy companies to benefit from this surge in profits, yet allowing their population to freeze.
There should be a temporary tax on earnings for energy producers and resellers, proportional to the increase in profit over their normal yearly. And that should be used to help the people. This is what we really need government for - to help people in times of need, and this is a time of need.

I am absolutely disgusted that the government are allowing energy companies to benefit from this surge in profits, yet allowing their population to freeze.
There should be a temporary tax on earnings for energy producers and resellers, proportional to the increase in profit over their normal yearly. And that should be used to help the people. This is what we really need government for - to help people in times of need, and this is a time of need.
They've already implemented a temporary windfall tax. The problem is that it has no teeth. It only covers profits for the UK parts of their business. All the energy companies do is "move" their profits abroad. Boom, no tax payable in the UK.

I don't think the resellers are making much, if anything from this. Look at how many have gone bust. I think it's just the energy producers that are making all the profit.

quite surprised there haven't been widespread riots. I thought they'd be on the cards 6 months ago and things have got significantly worse. Record profits, doubling the previous years record profits, suppliers breaking the law to fit pre-payment meters to customers who contact them to say they are in financial trouble sounds like a final straw scenario but nothing (so far i guess).

And obviously the uk is a tiny country in the world so they get tax income accordingly. Why people in uk forget there is a world beyond our borders is beyond me.

BP said it incurred total taxes of $15.1bn worldwide – it’s highest ever total – representing a tax rate of 34%.

In the North Sea, which accounts for less than 10% of global profits, BP said it will pay $2.2bn in 2022, including $700m due to the windfall tax, or Energy Profits Levy (EPL).’

Now look at how much shell pay in tax to uk.

Last edited:
so i received this from octopus ..
Hi, this is Octopus Energy. It's our job to help you keep your account in good shape, and make sure you don't build up too much credit or debt on your account balance.
We've just reviewed your account and your monthly payments are about right. However, your account balance is currently
£35.22
behind where we'd expect it to be at this time of year.
The simplest way to get your balance back on track is with a
one-time payment
of £35.22 on a credit or debit card.

so sent them this
hi pete
if you guys are that hard up for £35.22 i'll pay it .. ??
but lets see if it's not straight by end of the month and warmer weather ?
thx

and got this .,.
Thank you for getting in touch.

We will keep your payments at the current amount of £55.00 and look to do a review in a few months.

Kind regards,
Looks like the government has pushed, before Octopus only reviewed once a year in April.

All the energy companies do is "move" their profits abroad. Boom, no tax payable in the UK.
At least for shell a lot of profit (thought it was 50%) is made from trading, now although they have to declare what they sell the energy that comes out of UK territory for,
I don't understand how a situation where they might sell production virtually to a foreign intermediary who is hedging the price and then makes most of the profit, does not occur ? (and shell bosses have a few shares in that)
no one knew there was going to be a war so the company with that parcel in their hands when the music stopped must have become wealthy.

----

Hope the press will be investigating some of the windfarm owners profits too

Annual report for 2022: Ørsted achieved strong operational performance and significant strategic progress

People on octopus have you had your government money yet? Latest it's been in the past was the 5th.

Edit: never mind the app decided to not update, logged out and back in and it's there

Last edited:
At least for shell a lot of profit (thought it was 50%) is made from trading, now although they have to declare what they sell the energy that comes out of UK territory for,
I don't understand how a situation where they might sell production virtually to a foreign intermediary who is hedging the price and then makes most of the profit, does not occur ? (and shell bosses have a few shares in that)
no one knew there was going to be a war so the company with that parcel in their hands when the music stopped must have become wealthy.

----

Hope the press will be investigating some of the windfarm owners profits too

Annual report for 2022: Ørsted achieved strong operational performance and significant strategic progress

We do not want to be putting companies off investing in renewables!

Back
Top Bottom