Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The 80's were a great movie decade
risky-business_l1.jpg

If the energy companies are allowed to buy their energy in advance, why can't the consumers ?

I don't want to sound overly moralistic but it is interesting to observe how casually people will defraud one another when they see the opportunity to do so.

It's a bit like how casually many businesses will take cash-in-hand to try and avoid paying any tax.

Sadly, it tends to only hurt the people who do stick by the rules, which means people are ever more inclined to partake in the activity themselves.

Why can't I print money? the government does..

Bit different printing money over paying for a surplus of energy, I can go the petrol station and buy as much fuel as I want at the current rate, why shouldn't I be able to pay for additional electricity or gas at the current rate ?

I guess if people had a large enough battery to store the energy there & then or a gas container then it would be fine ?

Bit different printing money over paying for a surplus of energy, I can go the petrol station and buy as much fuel as I want at the current rate, why shouldn't I be able to pay for additional electricity or gas at the current rate ?

I guess if people had a large enough battery to store the energy there & then or a gas container then it would be fine ?
Storing energy at its current price and saying you have when you haven't are two different things. I agree with the hypocrisy of a government being able to act like criminals while the population cant.

Because you’re not buying in advance, you’re using then paying afterwards.

I'd like to know where you are storing this gas and electricity you are buying 'in advance'!

Absolutely if you took it from the system prior to 1 April and stored it that would be fine. But I can't imagine many people have the facility to do that.

Last edited:
I was naughty...added 500 to my number (on gas).... Will help a little lol

500 is a lot to add onto for gas, I think it'll get flagged. Lets just put it into perspective. Gas is measured in M3, to convert to Kwh its roughly multiplied by 11. As a 4bed, detached house, with heating on from Oct through to end of March at 22c for 18 hours a day and a hot water tank set to 60c 24/7 all year round we use 1200 M3 of gas a year which is above average, so depending on what you use you'd decided to add on half a years worth of gas..

500 is a lot to add onto for gas, I think it'll get flagged. Lets just put it into perspective. Gas is measured in M3, to convert to Kwh its roughly multiplied by 11. As a 4bed, detached house, with heating on from Oct through to end of March at 22c for 18 hours a day and a hot water tank set to 60c 24/7 all year round we use 1200 M3 of gas a year which is above average, so depending on what you use you'd decided to add on half a years worth of gas..
Oh pants.

Totally forgot the scaling values.

(Runs off to fix meter reading on shell app)

The rates change on Friday don't they? :confused:

Octopus email noted their change as 2nd April as new rate rather than 1st April on the email and PDF attached I received showing rate.

Noted annual consumption as follows:
  • 4427kWh Electric
  • 7135kWh Gas

Working out my monthly;
  • From April till September based on past 12 month usage then I will be at £192.20 a month for Gas and Electric
  • From October to March based on past 12 months I will then be at £247.94 a month for Gas and Electric which is assuming the 29% October increase that has been touted at moment.
That averages out at £220.07 a month for 12 months on variable. My fixed offer is £238 a month so better off even with the October rate increase. To note with that my usage is actually pretty similar between summer and winter months but if you are at 10% higher usage then it would actually work best even on the stupidly high fixed price probably.

To compare the cost of energy over my last 12 months was £1375.48 or £114.62 so the true cost increase is basically double.
  • My April increase with unit rate is 67%
  • And yeah October increase as above is assumed 29%

My change from 1st April to 2nd April is as below:

Electric % change
  • Unit rate increase is 36.54%
  • Standing charge is 90.79%
Gas % change
  • Unit rate increase is 83.99%
  • Standing charge is 4.22%

No one knows their annual usage :p

I work for one of the energy companies and yes you are spot on, for the most part those who are on monthly DD have it set too high from what I've seen day to day. I always try to persuade people to do a monthly whole amount DD instead if its suits there lifestyle. Then again most people are on Standard Variable (not an issue anymore with the price increases) and have no interest in DD as its "the way they have done it for years" many people still go down the post office to pay the bill.
I asked British Gas to do this, they told me they don't support it :mad:

Back
Top Bottom