Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Solar panels were a great idea when the government was giving people like 40p a unit and grants to fit them. That was a while back now though.
yep.

Now its a max of 10p per kwh given. which is mental considering a unit is now 27p...

I'd want a bigger battery and store the power. screw giving the suppliers cheap energy for them just to sell back to me for 2-3x the cost

I'd want a bigger battery and store the power. screw giving the suppliers cheap energy for them just to sell back to me for 2-3x the cost
Exactly - there is no benefit in selling home solar energy over using it for personal use.

Solar panels were a great idea when the government was giving people like 40p a unit and grants to fit them. That was a while back now though.
I'm just going through the process of getting solar and battery storage installed. [14x 400w panels and a 10kWh battery]
The payback is about 6-7 years but the main benefit for me is being able to take control of my own energy costs and that lovely green energy :).

Any excess energy in the summer will go to running AC and into my car.

At that point I'd stop looking

Yup. I looked at solar a while back when the price increase were becoming apparent and established pretty much the same, 10+ years to break even.

If we had space for a bigger array then it would probably be a bit more viable, but not with the size we could actually fit

Instead I spent £200 on some extra loft insulation which should have paid for itself within 2-3 years at most (we only have 70mm at the moment)

we're looking at Solar on the roof with a battery.

Unfortunately, its expensive.

Around 12k to get enough panels with a 5Kwh battery.

It may only charge 4Kwh during the sunny periods of the day (on avg)...

We use around 7-12Kwh per day based on our current usage.

Nor is it practical... would take over 12 years to pay back its cost in the savings.

To maximise your solar panel efficiency is to consider your location, angling, direction, roof suitability, you need at least 5 sun hours per day with the panels facing south the UK don't get months of sun like other countries do:)And cost of a solar panel is £5,000 3KW, £10,000 6KW, £13,000 12KW so 12 kW system produces an estimated 900 to 2000 kilowatt hours per month so the question is how many panels would you need?

Last edited:
To maximise your solar panel efficiency is to consider your location, angling, direction, roof suitability, size of the solar panel system the UK don't get months of sun like other countries do:)And cost of a solar panel is £5,000 3KW or £10,000 6KW
Yes the benefit of solar varies from house to house, but I look at it this way. Would I rather give an energy company £180 a month (for my elec use) or put that monthly cost into solar panels and a battery, benefitting our house for a long time. (saving from installing solar & battery about £150 per month).

I'm just going through the process of getting solar and battery storage installed. [14x 400w panels and a 10kWh battery]
The payback is about 6-7 years but the main benefit for me is being able to take control of my own energy costs and that lovely green energy :).

Any excess energy in the summer will go to running AC and into my car.

Is that 6-7 years at the current rate for electricity or recent historical prices?

Is there a decent web page that shows how much electrical devices consume eg TVs & PCs in standby?
I've just read that a TV can cost up to £3 a year in standby mode which doesn't sound a lot.

Depends on the model and the age of the device, but generally a couple of watts at most. Energy companies will make out like phone chargers and devices on standby are accounting for significant costs but it's nonsense, they're just trying to shift responsibility.

Yes the benefit of solar varies from house to house, but I look at it this way. Would I rather give an energy company £180 a month (for my elec use) or put that monthly cost into solar panels and a battery, benefitting our house for a long time. (saving from installing solar & battery about £150 per month).
I am not against solar energy I have EV, we just need more companies to invest in solar energy to make the panels cheaper for home users:) But now solar prices will go higher

we're looking at Solar on the roof with a battery.

Unfortunately, its expensive.

Around 12k to get enough panels with a 5Kwh battery.

It may only charge 4Kwh during the sunny periods of the day (on avg)...

We use around 7-12Kwh per day based on our current usage.

Nor is it practical... would take over 12 years to pay back its cost in the savings.

But if the rates keep going up, it'll be a lot less than 12 years surely?

I'm not interested currently as we're hopefully moving in the next year or two, but I'd seriously consider it on our next house as we'll hopefully be there for a long time.

To maximise your solar panel efficiency is to consider your location, angling, direction, roof suitability, you need at least 5 sun hours per day with the panels facing south the UK don't get months of sun like other countries do:)And cost of a solar panel is £5,000 3KW, £10,000 6KW, £13,000 12KW so 12 kW system produces an estimated 900 to 2000 kilowatt hours per month so the question is how many panels would you need?

That explains why E.on kept declining my house. Then I found out it was mainly to do with being in Scotland. Granted it gets a lot of sun from the south but according to them there isn't enough sunlight. Which isn't true. The rear of the house gets absolutely scorched most of the year.

I'm always having to repair the concrete around the windows from the sun cracking it all over time as they get so hot.

Back
Top Bottom