Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I have noticed that noises are arising over tyre particulate pollution. That will be the next target for taxation as EVs proliferate.

yeah, if you listen to some people EV’s are burning through tyres ‘so much quicker’ than ICE cars :rolleyes:
Yet reports on the RAC and AA websites say otherwise.

it’s just another square to add to the anti-EV BS bingo card !

Last edited:
they could just up the disposal charge on tyres ... the more you use the more you pay (unless it was a pothole that did it)

last hurrah for winter next week, snow forecast ... don't know at what point the likely demand is reflected in wholesale market price

Agree in principle but I don't understand the weight aspect claiming EVs are similar weight to an ICE car. They are on average 20% heavier for an EV over the ICE equivalent.

For instance a golf was about 1600kg, an ID3 is 1900kg. That's around 16% ish.

Agree in principle but I don't understand the weight aspect claiming EVs are similar weight to an ICE car. They are on average 20% heavier for an EV over the ICE equivalent.

I guess it depends on the car. Model 3 performance is 1847kg and pretty much the same as a recent BMW M3 with xDrive.

I'd assume drivers of EVs generally brake gentler and that has to reduce tyre wear.

Last edited:

My mg5 is lighter than a 320d estate.
Do i get a brucie bonus?

I guess it depends on the car. Model 3 performance is 1847kg and pretty much the same as a recent BMW M3 with xDrive.

I'd assume drivers of EVs generally brake gentler and that has to reduce tyre wear.
EVs barely use the brakes either as the energy is pushed back into the battery so there is less.wear there as well.

A BMW M3 is 1847kg as you say, an xdrive is not an electric though. The BMW i4 50 is 2290kg which is. Also a car braking via its brakes or via engine braking is the same as in you can still slow a car down via the brakes and get the same friction through the tire.

If you slow at the same rare in both an EV and an ICE and they were the same weight they would have the same forces applied to them and thus the same wear.

The difference is at that same force being applied via any type of slowing force such as mashing the peddle or engine braking or an energy recovery system the weight pushing on tires is around 20% greater due to more mass in an EV.

My mg5 is lighter than a 320d estate.
Do i get a brucie bonus?
Your MG5 is a completely different car and from a different company. They are as comparable as my Ford Kuga to a London City bus. Obtuse much.

The VW polo is 20% lighter than your MG5 do they get a double Brucie bonus.

I'm not suggesting anything about the article is wrong in terms of wear and tear (although I do believe tire wear is higher based on my neighbour whom works at ProTyre whom suggests they find EV wear tires faster from what they seen perosnally) but the point is the statement that ICE and EV cars weight similar is factually wrong.

Last edited:
If you're talking weight being a factor they may as well just do the tax based on car weight, removes the ev or ice component then.
not a bad shout actually... at least it playing a part in the calculation.

altho it gets complex is suppose. what is better a heavier car but with almost full regenerative breaking Vs a slightly lighter one without.?.

Last edited:
not a bad shout actually... at least it playing a part in the calculation.

altho it gets complex is suppose. what is better a heavier car but with almost full regenerative breaking Vs a slightly lighter one without.?.

Gotta measure on something I guess and would encourage manufacturers to make lighter cars without compromising performance.

Tough one to balance properly.

A BMW M3 is 1847kg as you say, an xdrive is not an electric though. The BMW i4 50 is 2290kg which is. Also a car braking via its brakes or via engine braking is the same as in you can still slow a car down via the brakes and get the same friction through the tire.

If you slow at the same rare in both an EV and an ICE and they were the same weight they would have the same forces applied to them and thus the same wear.

The difference is at that same force being applied via any type of slowing force such as mashing the peddle or engine braking or an energy recovery system the weight pushing on tires is around 20% greater due to more mass in an EV.

Your MG5 is a completely different car and from a different company. They are as comparable as my Ford Kuga to a London City bus. Obtuse much.

I'm not suggesting anything about the article is wrong in terms of wear and tear (although I do believe tire wear is higher based on my neighbour whom works at ProTyre whom suggests they find EV wear tires faster from what they seen perosnally) but the point is the statement that ICE and EV cars weight similar is factually wrong.
No as the mg5 is comparable to the golf for plan not the polo.
How heavy is the golf estate? 100 kg lighter than a mg5, 1 passenger.

As the mg5 and 320 tourer are dimensionally very close, and both estates, then they are comparable.

Side rant.
I saw a post on lnkedIn saying electric cars were too heavy for some multi storey car parks and a few had banned them access.
No multistorey car park has banned evs access.
It just shows the brainfail that people show as listening to bull is easier than listening to the truth.

Obtuse much?

Last edited:

So people will generally brake gentler with an EV as they will actively try to use regeneration to get to a standstill. For example I don't use my brakes, from one week to the next.

I compared the Tesla Model 3 to the BMW M3 as it was the closest match.

Last edited:
So people will generally brake gentler with an EV as they will actively try to use regeneration to get to a standstill. For example I don't use my brakes, from one week to the next.

I compared the Tesla Model 3 to the BMW M3 as it was the closest match.

Could well be offset by the harder acceleration though

Back
Top Bottom