Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

he does acknowledge, too, his ROI is dependent on the Octopus GO tarif for home load shifting.
Parker says a significant part of his £150-a-month savings come from the fact that he is on Octopus Energy’s Intelligent electric vehicle tariff, which also allows him to recharge his home battery system between 11.30pm and 5.30am for only 7.5p a kWh.

Thats not Octopus Go
Thats Intelligent Octopus, https://octopus.energy/smart/intelligent-octopus/

chatgpt bot fail

he does acknowledge, too, his ROI is dependent on the Octopus GO tarif for home load shifting.
Parker says a significant part of his £150-a-month savings come from the fact that he is on Octopus Energy’s Intelligent electric vehicle tariff, which also allows him to recharge his home battery system between 11.30pm and 5.30am for only 7.5p a kWh.
I’m on E7 and off peak 0.30-7.00 am is 8.2p per kWh. I save a packet just by load shifting on its own. Summer I’m paying nothing at all.

Last edited:
Is there 1 payment left of the Govt £66 or did that run out in Feb? We haven't been eligible for it up to now with being on a business tariff previously, but now back on domestic from Feb 23rd.

Also just emailed Octopus about this £200 'alternative fuel payment' since we use oil for the CH
We had £67 added to our account on 1st March; I believe March is the last month.

We've got over £720 of credit now :D should keep us tided over for a while, especially as we'll shortly be exiting the winter months.

just moved over to octopus from me mams refer all, 50 quid off me bill yes please haha.

only for an email shortly after to say my electric meter is deenergised and my gas meter can't be found

the joy

once that's sorted I'll be looking at these fancy tariffs from ocotopus and maybe even hetapump/solar options

Since having my solar installed just over 4 mths ago, only decembers generation was less than grid import..... last month ( february ) i imported 118kwh and Generated 178kwh and exported 123kwh of that, back to the grid.

If we was on net metering and able to store the export for personal use ( without expensive home batteries ), man i wouldn't have had any electric bill for february and still have 5kwh stored going into march. Damn government and ofgem

Flux is going to be a real good tariff for me during the summer and into autumn, can get some credit stored up for winter.

Last edited:
flux is great for those with large arrays, and indeed i may reccomend that to my parents inlaws (they have 20 410w panels split over east and west roof and generate a lot more power than they use)

for me tho i think octopus go will still be better if i can stay on it as my array is not that large (15 x 340w panels split over east and west roof).......... with my battery i use most of what i generate for probably 9 months of the year (true i export a lot for the other 3 months ). with my 5hrs off peak power however i can pretty much keep to all off peak power for 10 months of the year and only use maybe 50kwh of on peak power in december and jan. This will be even more true when i get my next car...... i am definitely onboard with all electric BUT only when it is naturally time to replace a car. i think it is false economy (fiscally and environmentally) to replace a car we have that we would not otherwise get rid of.

My other issue is it is not that easy to control my battery charge and discharge cycles... i would not know where to begin on automating it either, so i would likely be very inefficient using Flux. Even with my Go, i could be more efficient. i just blindly run the house off the mains from 8:35pm to 1:25am and charge the battery from 9:30pm until its full (usually takes around 2.5hrs if it was empty, less if part full). in summer i could probably get by without charging the battery from the grid at all but it is too inconvenient to go in the attic and set a different charge schedule.

Last edited:
flux is great for those with large arrays, and indeed i may reccomend that to my parents inlaws (they have 20 410w panels split over east and west roof and generate a lot more power than they use)

for me tho i think octopus go will still be better if i can stay on it.......... with my battery i use most of what i generate for probably 9 months of the year (true i export a lot for the other 3 months ). This will be even more true when i get my next car...... i am definitely onboard with all electric BUT only when it is naturally time to replace a car. i think it is false economy (fiscally and environmentally) to replace a car we have that we would not otherwise get rid of.

I think you're right - I personally don't have and don't plan to have an electric car so for me with my large(ish) array (16x400) flux will be the way to go - but if you do have an EV then the EV-based tariffs are I think probably worth sticking to.

All this solar stuff and electric vehicles is good and all, but it feels like the majority of people will not be able to afford to drop 10-15k on solar panels, or god knows how many thousands on a new EV. It's looking fairly unobtainable for most people.

I don't think I export enough for Flux to beat Go for the vast majority of the time, even in the peak of summer I think I can reasonably use about as much as I generate.

MKW and I both worked it out and came to the same sort of conclusion.

If you are exporting a lot more than you use though, it's a no brainer.

for me tho i think octopus go will still be better if i can stay on it as my array is not that large (15 x 340w panels split over east and west roof).......... with my battery i use most of what i generate for probably 9 months of the year (true i export a lot for the other 3 months ). with my 5hrs off peak power however i can pretty much keep to all off peak power for 10 months of the year and only use maybe 50kwh of on peak power in december and jan. This will be even more true when i get my next car...... i am definitely onboard with all electric BUT only when it is naturally time to replace a car. i think it is false economy (fiscally and environmentally) to replace a car we have that we would not otherwise get rid of.

My other issue is it is not that easy to control my battery charge and discharge cycles... i would not know where to begin on automating it either, so i would likely be very inefficient using Flux. Even with my Go, i could be more efficient. i just blindly run the house off the mains from 8:35pm to 1:25am and charge the battery from 9:30pm until its full (usually takes around 2.5hrs if it was empty, less if part full). in summer i could probably get by without charging the battery from the grid at all but it is too inconvenient to go in the attic and set a different charge schedule.
Flux will also be good for people with low base energy use and high export to the grid........ i export 70% of what i produce, no battery, no EV and a base usage of 3.9kwhs daily. Currently get 15p for export, but will get 24+ with flux as during the summer i will be exporting quite a bit in that 4pm to 7pm window

All this solar stuff and electric vehicles is good and all, but it feels like the majority of people will not be able to afford to drop 10-15k on solar panels, or god knows how many thousands on a new EV. It's looking fairly unobtainable for most people.

I could afford Solar but the EV is too much of a stretch for me atm! :)

Figure the Solar will help every thing, EV is just the vehicle front.

Thats the issue with most of these things. They help the people in the middle and the top rather than people who need the help. Theres loads of things that make sense for us to do to our house from a energy saving/green perspective but they make almost zero financial sense.

yeah it needs to come down that is for sure.... hopefully solar will. EVs definitely will.

it is unfortunate that the launch nissan leaf had poor battery management as whilst you CAN get a used leaf for 4k now, a worst case scenario 45mile range could put people off (would still be a great 2nd car for a lot of people however)

but stuff like the hyundai ionic from 2016 are coming down now - with good examples from 12k.... and these have superb battery management and a real world worst case scenario range of 100 miles. (150 mixed driving in average weather)... Sadly we are still prbably 3 or 4 years before these hit the sub 5k market however.

Solar is hugely expensive right now..... my system is not the best but is still pretty amazing for me, and that is a 15x340w array with a 5kw inverter, dual strings, bird proofing and 7.2kwh battery fully fitted for £8300. (probably could have sacked off bird proofing and saved £500) this was july 2021. you wont get near this now, but hopefully prices will get back there soon - and probably get better panels as well.

It IS still a lot of money, however if those who can afford it do it, it all helps flattern the peak curve of energy costs for those who cant.

it still angers me new builds not having solar on tho. 4 houses near me, not finished being built yet, the semi 3 beds are £330k and the detached larger 3beds £360k and (not yet at least and i doubt they will add now) no solar.

this is wrong. they are well positioned for solar, and it should have been part of the planning.

Last edited:
Solar is hugely expensive right now..... my system is not the best but is still pretty amazing for me, and that is a 15x340w array with a 5kw inverter, dual strings, bird proofing and 7.2kwh battery fully fitted for £8300. (probably could have sacked off bird proofing and saved £500) this was july 2021. you wont get near this now, but hopefully prices will get back there soon - and probably get better panels as well.

Yes our prices and kit is very similar and I agree you can't get that price now.

I think solar will remain expensive for at least another 12 months.

A lot then depends on where energy costs go next year, as well as situation with China/Russia.

you can make solar as cheap or as expensive as you want....my system last october cost a tad over 5k. 8 x 410w panels, growatt inverter, roof rails, fitting, cables, scaffolding etc etc ...but no battery. i feel right now if that the export is my way to go and with flux i will make more.

But before putting solar on the roof, i ran a DIY system to run my home office all of last year and save a fair few pennies there too.....

Last edited:
Thats the issue with most of these things. They help the people in the middle and the top rather than people who need the help. Theres loads of things that make sense for us to do to our house from an energy saving/green perspective but they make almost zero financial sense.
We don’t live in well to do area and I’ve seen multiple install go up around me.

Some literally cannot afford as they don’t even own their own home, some are not prioritising it as much as other things I’d imagine.

Thats the issue with most of these things. They help the people in the middle and the top rather than people who need the help. Theres loads of things that make sense for us to do to our house from a energy saving/green perspective but they make almost zero financial sense.

Not fully true
When you look at the micro level, those with solar see immediate reductions in their bills
When you look at the macro level, because people with solar generate bit also store and use in peak times the costs of the grid at peak times are being pulled down. All that extra very expensive generation for peak times is being used less and less.
Sooner or later I think time of use based charging will have to come in and that will also have an impact. Encouraging those most willing to move to cheaper times, and hence giving a flatter grid usage and more usage encouraged to be when green generation is high.

EVs aren't worth it (for me) and have no interest in one.

If you can't afford the Panels outright, you can just do a secured loan or home improvement loan which ends up barely costing anything on a monthly basis... That said, I did buy everything upfront as I just saved for it because it was something I knew I wanted to do.

However, I agree, at the moment prices are artificially high.

I don't think I export enough for Flux to beat Go for the vast majority of the time, even in the peak of summer I think I can reasonably use about as much as I generate.

MKW and I both worked it out and came to the same sort of conclusion.

If you are exporting a lot more than you use though, it's a no brainer.

Yeah I think because we've become far more sensible with our usage our actual usage is a lot lower than I had anticipated so we will be exporting a lot from spring onwards - and even in the winter if the weather is rubbish, topping up the batteries before the "expensive" evening peak will be easy to automate

you can make solar as cheap or as expensive as you want....my system last october cost a tad over 5k. 8 x 410w panels, growatt inverter, roof rails, fitting, cables, scaffolding etc etc ...but no battery. i feel right now if that the export is my way to go and with flux i will make more.

But before putting solar on the roof, i ran a DIY system to run my home office all of last year and save a fair few pennies there too.....
My boss is generating about £3.2k just in fit payments annually, he’s long since paid for his system.

Back
Top Bottom