Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The only irony is that he wanted to install a swimming pool, that’s fine but if he wanted to upgrade the supply for solar panels (even ground mount on a piece of scrap land on the boundary), it would be hard denied at the planning permission stage because the property is grade 2 listed.
its an emotive subject but sooner or later these rules for listed buildings are going to have to be looked at and some form of compromise put in place.

they are not works of art, and whilst they are a slice of our history, they are when push comes to shove properties to live in, and if they are wasting energy like a ****** fridge then they are essentially unfit for purpose.
So tasteful modernisation is going to have to be allowed, through (invisible where possible) new insulation, double glazing AND heatpumps / solar / what ever other renewables could be made to work.

its either that or they will ultimately sit uncared for and rot... alternatively knock them down and rebuild..... and imo that would be a shame if it only happened because a small minority of people blocked them being updated to the times we are in.

Last edited:
its an emotive subject but sooner or later these rules for listed buildings are going to have to be looked at and some form of compromise put in place.

they are not works of art, and whilst they are a slice of our history, they are when push comes to shove properties to live in, and if they are wasting energy like a ****** fridge then they are essentially unfit for purpose.
So tasteful modernisation is going to have to be allowed, through (invisible where possible) new isulation, double glazing AND heatpumps / solar / what ever other renewables could be made to work.

its either that or they will ultimately sit uncared for and rot... alternatively knock them down and rebuild..... and imo that would be a shame if it only happened because a small minority of people blocked them being updated to the times we are in.
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Old buildings are great but only if they are fit for purpose, they need to be able to be modernised to remain relevant.

I really don’t get the solar ban near listed buildings (I totally get not wanting them on the building, but not near? Really!), it defies all logic. It’s just like the council who keep denying planning permission for rapid EV chargers in a hotel car park because the hotel is a listed building yet they allowed its neighbour to be a huge sprawling movie studio and happy Potter world theme park. Utterly mind boggling decision making.

Last edited:
Having been moved from Bulb to Octopus - Any reason NOT to move onto the Intelligent plan as I have a electric car/smart meter etc ?

Last edited:
Having been moved from Bulb to Octopus - Any reason NOT to move onto the Intelligent plan as I have a electric car/smart meter etc ?

Can you load shift enough to make it pay?

Intelligent will charge more per kWh in peak times, so you'd need to calculate your usage and find out if the cheaper off-peak pricing works in your scenario.

octopus standard plan is about the worst you can be in if you have an electic car (unless you barely do any miles of course)...... i cant comment on intelligent vs Go vs Agile.......... but i would say all 3 will be far better than the standard tarif for you. if you can push some of your home use onto cheap rate even better.

you need to get some time of use discounts to fill your car so there is no reason not to be on one of them.... there isnt even a lock in period..

Last edited:
Can you load shift enough to make it pay?

Intelligent will charge more per kWh in peak times, so you'd need to calculate your usage and find out if the cheaper off-peak pricing works in your scenario.

I don't do a ton of miles but can certainly charge over night, push dishwasher overnight and probably tumble dryer.... Otherwise not much else to move I guess...

Will take another look at the tarriffs

octopus standard plan is about the worst you can be in if you have an electic car (unless you barely do any miles of course)...... i cant comment on intelligent vs Go vs Agile.......... but i would say all 3 will be far better than the standard tarif for you. if you can push some of your home use onto cheap rate even better.

you need to get some time of use discounts to fill your car so there is no reason not to be one one of them.... there isnt even a lock in period..

that's my thought - with no "lock" in period makes sense to give it a go

I don't do a ton of miles but can certainly charge over night, push dishwasher overnight and probably tumble dryer.... Otherwise not much else to move I guess...

Will take another look at the tarriffs

Simple way to look at it, imagine you use 20 kWh per day typically.

On SVR that is £0.34 * 20 = £6.80

On Go it's 12p/44p (off-peak/peak), in this example pretend you can push say 5 kWh into the off-peak time. It's (5 * £0.12) + (15 * £0.44) = £0.60 + £6.60 or £7.20.

This kind of maths should help you decide, but it looks like you want to be getting nearer 50% off-loaded to make it pay.

Simple way to look at it, imagine you use 20 kWh per day typically.

On SVR that is £0.34 * 20 = £6.80

On Go it's 12p/44p (off-peak/peak), in this example pretend you can push say 5 kWh into the off-peak time. It's (5 * £0.12) + (15 * £0.44) = £0.60 + £6.60 or £7.20.

This kind of maths should help you decide, but it looks like you want to be getting nearer 50% off-loaded to make it pay.
i dont know where i read it,..... and i cant find it again <sigh> but somewhere i looked this morning said that octopus have promised that october 2023 Go peak price will drop to a max of 33p (iirc) as well.

i mean... their flexible could drop as well i suppose, but this is a nice thing to know..... if true. i would like to see the source however, has anyone else seen this statement.?

because Go is no longer fixed , but a variable then it could go down (or up) at any point.

Last edited:
yes hopefully he declares leisure centres as valid essential energy users too - don't want to see our pool closing,

surprised rishis pool is electrically heated

another option , close to OC ethics

Tiny data centre used to heat public swimming pool

_128973649_deepgreenexmouthinstallation8.jpg.webp

doesn't say how many Kwh those racks generate, or what are they
( for domestic use > https://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc/ can maybe re-distribute the heat more effectively .... how do you upgrade)

another option , close to OC ethics

Tiny data centre used to heat public swimming pool

_128973649_deepgreenexmouthinstallation8.jpg.webp

doesn't say how many Kwh those racks generate, or what are they
( for domestic use > https://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc/ can maybe re-distribute the heat more effectively .... how do you upgrade)
back when I was mining (my 1 GPU gaming pc) I actually wondered if anyone had tried to ring up something such as that. heating a swimming pool seemed avery good use for the waste heat from a pc. not as fun as my Hot Tub Mine Machine idea.... but a lot easier to implement giving the far larger temperature difference

it's moot now, but sure, as a general data centre cooling also seems a good idea.

Last edited:
the new ovo ev plan - where with a smart charger you get 11p for the car and 34p for the rest maybe a better deal -

e: https://electriccarsreport.com/2023...g-tariff-three-times-cheaper-than-uk-average/
ooof! that is a cracking deal.... the 1st one i have seen to actually rival octopus (actually better as octopus go renewal for me is .... iirc 44p / 12p ) Octopus have ball in their court now (shame i cant use it as do not have a smart charger). I am surprised it is anytime if they are saying it is green..... ie i could charge my car from 4pm to 7pm which would almost certainly not be green any time soon.

i suppose you lose out in that you cant push your own house use onto the cheap electricity (but if you REALLY wanted to and your car offered vehicle to home....................................)

Last edited:
ooof! that is a cracking deal.... the 1st one i have seen to actually rival octopus (actually better as octopus go for me is .... iirc 44p / 12p ) Octopus have ball in their court now (shame i cant use it as do not have a smart charger)

i suppose you lose out in that you cant push your own house use onto the cheap electricity (but if you REALLY wanted to and your car offered vehicle to home....................................)

Yes it's for the EV charging only by the sounds of it, so you get your car cheaper but your regular electric is same as SVR.

it's not like it's a bad deal, but Octopus is better as you can use that cheaper rate for anything!

Yes it's for the EV charging only by the sounds of it, so you get your car cheaper but your regular electric is same as SVR.

it's not like it's a bad deal, but Octopus is better as you can use that cheaper rate for anything!
i guess it depends on personal use case. if you have a couple of electric cars and need to charge each one say 25kwh every other day and you dont have solar or a home battery then i think ovo would be quite a bit better.

(25kwh per day at 10p and all your energy at 34p would be better than say 25kwh at 12p, 80% of your home energy at 44p and 20% of it at 12p.)

(lets imagine your home uses 20kwh per day, that would be 16kwh at 44p and 4kwh at 12p)

either way its a genuine contender and we need that desperately now.... dont want Octopus getting complacent ;)

I did read octopus Go is coming down to atleast around 33p (from memory) later this year, this is allegedly already promised.. but i still cant find my source for that.

Last edited:
either way its a genuine contender and we need that desperately now.... dont want Octopus getting complacent ;)
the jury's a bit out - in so much you don't know how many kwh's of cheap 'ev' energy ovo will deliver during a day, and minimum time you could plug car in to top up 20->80%,
T&C's don't say if there is a reasonable use criteria,
but, incentive/convenience to have a smart charger/car that is compatible, is beginning. (new installs meant to be) even if chancellor could then apply a differential tax rate.

but if there are more days like this .. 'curious' that when it is real cold 2 days ago wind isn't blowing

52746161987_89c2d2818b_b_d.jpg

the jury's a bit out - in so much you don't know how many kwh's of cheap 'ev' energy ovo will deliver during a day, and minimum time you could plug car in to top up 20->80%,
T&C's don't say if there is a reasonable use criteria,
but, incentive/convenience to have a smart charger/car that is compatible, is beginning. (new installs meant to be) even if chancellor could then apply a differential tax rate.

but if there are more days like this .. 'curious' that when it is real cold 2 days ago wind isn't blowing

52746161987_89c2d2818b_b_d.jpg
What app is that?

well my fence got battered yesterday but looking at that graph there was at least the upside of all that wind power..... i wondered actually how much wind generation there would be (not enough to do my own homework and look however)

i have friends who insist wind is no good because they shut down the turbines if too windy.... i dont doubt in gales they may, but i figured that was FUD nonsense and that graph seems to prove it (it was bloody windy yesterday)

back when I was mining (my 1 GPU gaming pc) I actually wondered if anyone had tried to ring up something such as that. heating a swimming pool seemed avery good use for the waste heat from a pc. not as fun as my Hot Tub Mine Machine idea.... but a lot easier to implement giving the far larger temperature difference

I think the swimming pool stuff maybe a publicity stunt - seems full size rack cabinets are usually 8KVA, https://www.nextplatform.com/2020/05/14/inside-facebooks-future-rack-and-microserver-iron/
and 4 units shown might be 4KW .. can you heat a public pool on 100KW a day ?

Back
Top Bottom