Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I think the swimming pool stuff maybe a publicity stunt - seems full size rack cabinets are usually 8KVA, https://www.nextplatform.com/2020/05/14/inside-facebooks-future-rack-and-microserver-iron/
and 4 units shown might be 4KW .. can you heat a public pool on 100KW a day ?
whilst it is true there could be some massaging going on..... its only 60% of an energy reduction, if so that would mean almost 200kwh per day to heat the pool.

still doesnt sound a lot to heat a public baths mind you, but either way it still makes sense to make use of all that heat you can rather than wasting it, even if it only cuts the bill by 20% (and could pave the way for bigger more ambitious projects)

Last edited:
Utility warehouse decided today to "review" my plan and decided that I needed to be spending £800 a month instead of £200.

Send some emails off to be completely blanked and told they can take it down to £700 because thats what they worked out I would need to pay.

Escalated through complaints and by the end of the day a senior manager saw that they owed me money and would owe me more and more as the year went on, especially as my solar panels even today were covering all my household usage.

I wonder how many others are being massively miscalculated and just paying up or giving up after the first hurdle and being put into financial difficulties without actually needing to be.

I was expecting a fairly hefty bill this quarter, but after submitting the reading just now it was a bit of an "ouch" moment....

electric-bill2.jpg

another option , close to OC ethics

Tiny data centre used to heat public swimming pool

_128973649_deepgreenexmouthinstallation8.jpg.webp

doesn't say how many Kwh those racks generate, or what are they
( for domestic use > https://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc/ can maybe re-distribute the heat more effectively .... how do you upgrade)

28kw so pretty hefty, that's a fair amount of heat being generated.

The energy costs are covered by the company who own the server, Exmouth pool just benefits from the heat generated.

For reference its cluster contains, 12 x 4 A100 GPUs running AMD Epyc CPUs generating around 140,000kWh of heat a year over half of what the pool needs, and the cluster can be expanded.

Last edited:
Utility warehouse decided today to "review" my plan and decided that I needed to be spending £800 a month instead of £200.

Send some emails off to be completely blanked and told they can take it down to £700 because thats what they worked out I would need to pay.

Escalated through complaints and by the end of the day a senior manager saw that they owed me money and would owe me more and more as the year went on, especially as my solar panels even today were covering all my household usage.

I wonder how many others are being massively miscalculated and just paying up or giving up after the first hurdle and being put into financial difficulties without actually needing to be.

I mean BG wanted to charge us about 5x what we actually use on our holiday home, thank goodness we don’t pay by DD on that one or they would have taken it too. In reality we’ve used so little we make money on it currently with the government payment.

Similar story on our main home too, glad I’ve switched to paying just for what we use.

No other industry would get away with it.

28kw so pretty hefty, that's a fair amount of heat being generated.

they subsequently said saving £1K/month saving which at £40/day, £1.50/hour sounds more like the 4KW I posted (commercial contracts not so good now)
the flow rate to evacuate 28KW would need to be large too, and forcing oil through those blades ... my domestic boiler is 30KW

also don't know what data centre needs are over night too ? like domestic consumption cloud needs probably reduced ... facebook/amazon might divert resources to different time-zones but doubt this company are in that league

I might be mistaking you with another poster, but weren't you saying all winter "I don't care what it costs, I'm not changing my habits"?

I think it must be someone else, the main, expected and unavoidable usage in the winter is heating outdoor kennels for 10 dogs, which even prior to us falling out with Russia was costly. But given the house and workshops are oil heated, it's still a ridiculous increase over 3 years ago.

The wife reminded me a few minutes ago that although it's a hefty bill, if I gave up drinking it would nearly cover all the electric bill. The conversation degenerated rapidly from there....

It's £16.58 a day, £8.49 each, which sounds a bit better <LOL> :)

Last edited:
UI think it must be someone else, the main, expected and unavoidable usage in the winter is heating outdoor kennels for 10 dogs, which even prior to us falling out with Russia was costly. But given the house and workshops are oil heated, it's still a ridiculous increase over 3 years ago.

The wife reminded me a few minutes ago that although it's a hefty bill, if I gave up drinking it would nearly cover all the electric bill. The conversation degenerated rapidly from there....

You've paid in one one months electricity what I would pay in three years. :eek:

Last edited:
I might be mistaking you with another poster, but weren't you saying all winter "I don't care what it costs, I'm not changing my habits"?

I think it must be someone else, the main, expected and unavoidable usage in the winter is heating outdoor kennels for 10 dogs, which even prior to us falling out with Russia was costly. But given the house and workshops are oil heated, it's still a ridiculous increase over 3 years ago.

I was thinking this is what he was referring to :o

Isn't the bill over 90 days so £20.63ish a day? You use in two and half days what I use in a month electric wise! That bill is about the same as what my 3yrs would be...mental. I can't imagine ever having a bill that high tbh.

Last edited:
Isn't the bill over 90 days so £20.63ish a day? You use in two and half days what I use in a month electric wise! That bill is about the same as what my 3yrs would be...mental. I can't imagine ever having a bill that high tbh.

I am not sure what the electricity company regard as "a quarter", probably something bizarre and of course to their benefit :) I worked it out in my head and probably used 4 instead of 3 months by the look of it. So a tenner or so each a day.

I was thinking this is what he was referring to :o

I have certainly made some effort to reduce electricity usage, but I haven't worked for 45 years to spend time in the day under an electric blanket with a coat and a bobble hat on the rest of the time, and with no lights left on overnight. "Like a troglodyte" :) I am working longer hours than I had hoped to at my age though, so as to buffer the increased cost of living.

i was quite surprised at just how much my bill was the last two months, I have the thermostat set to 18.5 degrees, in the week the heating is on for an hour and a half in the morning and 3 hours in the evening, at the weekend its on throughout the day 8 to 10. My bils were still ~£380 per month the kids constantly complain its cold. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom