Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

No it wont be 49million consumers……..according to recent data, there is 28.3million households in the uk. But not all would be on gas, some would be on oil and some even still running coal and water heaters in rural areas.
yes ok payback is slower for the solr ... excepting bulb seems some 1.8bn to payback in 15 months.
Accelerated SOLR cost recovery eases pressure on suppliers but will add to bills

In normal circumstances, the earliest that SOLRs can begin receiving LRSPs is from around 15 months after their appointment, with full repayment coming around 12-15 months later.

-------

decoupling - unless we have time of use tarifs, practicality of doing that without impacting the economy (can we afford to use the oven/heating today) seems problematic,
shorter term r4 today interviews with businesses (rivet manufacturer) looking at a cliff edge for energy costs in April (28p/unit commercial) so accelerated inflation will be interesting, and UK loss of competitivity.

theres lots of things we pay for in this world, with zero usage until you need it.....insurance being one. Mine is 47p a day, so thats £14.57 a month, no where near £30....and even at 67p a day it would be £20.77.

But at least i know the network of electricity is all still there for when we need it and its kept up to date, some countries don't even have that.
There is zero usage fees but not on top of usage fees as a combination that I pay for.

Energy is the only thing I pay for that has a consumption fee "and" a zero usage fee (that has no inclusive usage). It is also the most expensive zero usage fee I pay for as a service, the other things are not only cheaper but bundle in usage if you need it.

Insurance is a flat price (and for what its worth I am not a fan of insurance either).

Last edited:
Insurance is a flat price (and for what its worth I am not a fan of insurance either).
some things insurance is over rated (extended warranties are insurance really). so long as you can afford to cover the worst thing that could possibly go wrong and are potentially prepared to do so then so be it.

but for things like car insurance where you could potentially make someone a paraplegic who needs assisted living for the rest of their life or where you could write off a 500k exotic hyper car (even if you are driving a £200 banger) then they are a total necessity.
personally I am ok with paying a standing charge on gas pipes and electricity cables etc .

whether or not I use them today, they need to be working for when I do need them. the alternative is if some one is dead set against it is for them to go off grid .
whether or not the current increases in costs is a fair price is another discussion however and on that Indo feel we may be being taken for mugs.

and SC covering failed businesses ... again on that I am torn. I don't want people to lose their money they had in credit OTOH why should I foot the bill of a PRIVATE company just because they were mismanaged? if they were nationalised then sure I happily take the rough with the smooth so long as some of the profits go into public coffers in the good times

Last edited:
and SC covering failed businesses ... again on that I am torn. I don't want people to lose their money they had in credit OTOH why should I foot the bill of a PRIVATE company just because they were mismanaged? if they were nationalised then sure I happily take the rough with the smooth so long as some of the profits go into public coffers in the good times

The issue is that people cannot be expected to have even the faintest idea that a company is about to go bust. There are plenty of people who should be overseeing this sort of thing but the customer isn't one of them. Its not like they are gambling. They are using one of the biggest energy providers in the country. They are paying their bills. Its not an investment.

If you want to blame someone, blame regulatory oversight.

Its the same reason banks get bailed out up to a point. Because they have so many "innocent"peoples money tied up in them that its completely unfair to make them pay the price of criminal behaviour on the part of the banks.

The issue is that people cannot be expected to have even the faintest idea that a company is about to go bust. There are plenty of people who should be overseeing this sort of thing but the customer isn't one of them. Its not like they are gambling. They are using one of the biggest energy providers in the country. They are paying their bills. Its not an investment.

If you want to blame someone, blame regulatory oversight.

Its the same reason banks get bailed out up to a point. Because they have so many "innocent"peoples money tied up in them that its completely unfair to make them pay the price of criminal behaviour on the part of the banks.
oh I know. I apologise if it sounded like I was blaming the customers... I wasn't at all. plenty of blame to go around but it's not on them.
if anything it shows we should probably not be allowing ourselves to get too much credit on our account. I know why it is done, to smooth out the curve through winter and summer but maybe we should be doing that on our bank account (IE set up a separate bills account and put a standing order into that and let that get a summer buffer). I spoke with my mum at the weekend funnily enough. she had built up an £880 credit with octopus. bear in mind this is coming out of winter and had been built up over only 6 months or so.. I checked her energy use and even accounting for slight increase in energy costs from April I cut her direct debit by £50ish and withdrew over £550.
this all happened because she panicked last year when she was a few quid (low double digits) in arrears. I explained to her that it's not a debt as such and energy companies expect it and do not mind but she ignored me and hugely over compensated.

she is terrified of owing anyone anything... I see now why I am how I am as I am the same but to lesser extent.

Last edited:
Reactions: fez
It’s one of the few benefits of being on a prepayment meter, not having to worry about direct debits and building up credit ect. I put on what I want, when I want.

Also EDF are raising their prices again from the 1st of April so I need to make sure I cash in my last EBSS voucher and apply in before the price rise, that way my tariff won’t change until I next top up in the Autumn.

Bad news.
I expect they would kill the 3% fuel savings -.-
Ovo already did away with this for new customers I believe?
*edit* yup, stopped

'As of 27th September 2021, we’re no longer offering the OVO Interest Reward scheme with our tariffs. If you signed up for an eligible tariff before this date, you’ll still get rewards. Learn about how the scheme works and how we calculate your payments on this page.'

Link

Last edited:
Thank goodness for power banks and mobile broadband, we had a street electricity cut last night 1930-0240, only to lose power again at 1230 today and be informed it might be off until 1700...

It's like a bit of insight into the planned power cuts we were warned about before Xmas that came to nothing.
Hopefully it won't be too long before you're back up and running.

I got caught up in that mess and bought a Bluetti EB240 for emergencies. Just something to keep the fridge/freezer going, power up the browsing PC and a few lights. They only consume around 220w combined so could get around 9 hours'ish but if making cups of tea and the lighting, will be less than that but not by much.

Hopefully it won't be too long before you're back up and running.

I got caught up in that mess and bought a Bluetti EB240 for emergencies. Just something to keep the fridge/freezer going, power up the browsing PC and a few lights. They only consume around 220w combined so could get around 9 hours'ish but if making cups of tea and the lighting, will be less than that but not by much.

You might struggle boiling a kettle given the EB240 have a max output of 1.2kW

You might struggle boiling a kettle given the EB240 have a max output of 1.2kW
Not with a 900w kettle that is selectively bought for it. :p Why would you assume I don't know the limitations of what I bought? Strange... I knew everything I needed to know prior to purchasing.

If blackouts increase in frequency then I'll get a battery with a 2000w+ inverter, I can also add B230 and B300 to the EB 240 if I want longevity for longer periods, it's just for running a few home comforts to ride out an emergency situation.

Lol I just had an email from them adding £100 to my DD. Shareholders have got to be paid.
I just had one too up from £93 to £135 pcm!!!! Said overall yearly total will go down... by a whole £56. But DD has rocketed!! :mad:

Really not sure how those who are struggling are expected to pay these bills its frightening

It’s one of the few benefits of being on a prepayment meter, not having to worry about direct debits and building up credit ect. I put on what I want, when I want.

Also EDF are raising their prices again from the 1st of April so I need to make sure I cash in my last EBSS voucher and apply in before the price rise, that way my tariff won’t change until I next top up in the Autumn.
Thats not a bad idea actually used to have one a long time ago so not like its an unknown quantity especially since the govt is removing the prepayment premium from july

Last edited:
Not with a 900w kettle that is selectively bought for it. :p Why would you assume I don't know the limitations of what I bought? Strange... I knew everything I needed to know prior to purchasing.

If blackouts increase in frequency then I'll get a battery with a 2000w+ inverter, I can also add B230 and B300 to the EB 240 if I want longevity for longer periods, it's just for running a few home comforts to ride out an emergency situation.

Sorry to hurt your feeling buttercup, but I did say "You Might" not You will.

• Haha
Reactions: J.D
Back
Top Bottom