Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

What's the failure rate like on inverters? Switch mode power supplies (which is what an inverter is, basically) are notorious unreliable, especially if built down to a competitive cost.

A lot of solar suppliers and installers, and I mean a LOT, have gone bump leaving most of their warranties worthless.
Insurance backed guarantees are a thing.

What's the failure rate like on inverters? Switch mode power supplies (which is what an inverter is, basically) are notorious unreliable, especially if built down to a competitive cost.

A lot of solar suppliers and installers, and I mean a LOT, have gone bump leaving most of their warranties worthless.

They are the part of the system that will mainly go wrong from everything I read.

Most are 5 year warranty with some 10. They do seem to be likely to fail sometime within the 5-10 year period for ones with 5 year warranty and somewhere not long after 10 years for a 10 year warranty one. I guess they know their products well.

They are not that expensive though and pretty easy for a competent spark to change over quickly. Most people should ROI around the time the inverter likely goes pop so no real massive issue IMO.
The biggest issue is more likely the lost power whilst your sourcing and getting a replacement fitted.

I guess most competent DIYers could do a simple replacement.

My Octopus gas price update has come down a little but not much of a change. Hopefully it will come down further later this year as prices have been down for quite a bit now.

Last edited:
Great numbers. The Gov. £££s has certainly helped. I'll take a look at mine. I should be in profit.

I last paid Octopus any money on Sept. 5th 2022. £50 on DD. That put my account £252.86 in credit.

At the last update, 28th Feb I was £410 in credit, along with a further £195 (calculated based on assumption from final SS) in Octopoints.

There's also 6 months of FIT to add to the profit, it's been a good winter! I've had 5500kWh from them.

Last edited:
I last paid Octopus any money on Sept. 5th 2022. £50 on DD. That put my account £252.86 in credit.

At the last update, 28th Feb I was £410 in credit, along with a further £195 (calculated based on assumption from final SS) in Octopoints.

There's also 6 months of FIT to add to the profit, it's been a good winter! I've had 5500kWh from them.

Yep you're really gaining cash instead of losing it then!

My usage is fairly heavy so stuff offsetting massively or reducing costs to as near to zero is about as good as I can hope for I think.

You should withdraw the cash and put it towards a 2nd solar array to earn more on Flux!

Do need to add amortization of home PV, batteries, expenditure ... into those 'gains'

I understand that... How much of it is being used to service this debt though?

• Network costs – Network costs have increased from £372 to £388 (increase of £16 or 4%). Whilst supplier of Last Resort (SoLR) costs have reduced by £42 from £61 to £19, this reduction has been offset by cost increases elsewhere, as non-SoLR costs have increased by £58. This has been primarily driven by two factors; An increase of £24 in the costs associated with maintaining and upgrading the gas and electricity networks, which are linked to inflation, and in the costs of balancing the electricity system of £34 because of changes in the way these charges are recovered and the scale of interventions made by the Electricity System Operator this winter.

• Policy Costs – Policy cost allowance has increased from £152 to £165 (an increase of £14 or 9%) This is largely due to inflation. Uprating for inflation is
responsible for increases in Warm Home Discount (WHD), Renewable Obligations (RO) and Assistance for Areas with High Electricity Distriubtion Costs (AAHEDC). The increase in Feed In Tariffs(FiT) is due to a combination of an increase in the Levelisation Fund, a reduction in the total electricity supplied and an uplift for inflation. Energy Company Obligation costs increased from £36 to £44 (an increase of £8 or 22%). This was due to a combination of inflation and the introduction of the ECO+ scheme. The reduction to the Green Gas Levy costs is due to an overestimation of costs for the previous period, coupled with a more conservative estimate for the current period.

I may be reading it wrongly so does that mean that £77/household/year is being used to service the debt from failed companies (SoLR?)

So 21p/day?
since caps are defined as a yearly consumption budget,
I read it as - for upcoming 3month period, solr would represent £19/year ... so 5.2p / day + vat in the combined gas+electric standing charge - a quarter of what you said
and in jan-mar it was 17p/day

so running total for jan-june will be 61/4+19/4 = £20 ... times the 49million, was it ? consumers = 1bn

since caps are defined as a yearly consumption budget,
I read it as - for upcoming 3month period, solr would represent £19/year ... so 5.2p / day + vat in the combined gas+electric standing charge - a quarter of what you said
and in jan-mar it was 17p/day

so running total for jan-june will be 61/4+19/4 = £20 ... times the 49million, was it ? consumers = 1bn
No it wont be 49million consumers……..according to recent data, there is 28.3million households in the uk. But not all would be on gas, some would be on oil and some even still running coal and water heaters in rural areas.

Why did they take this long? And as above, almost feels like they're doing this once it's passed anyway, because you know they'll roll this out in Q4 when inflation comes down and prices with it.

Back
Top Bottom