Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I just had one too up from £93 to £135 pcm!!!! Said overall yearly total will go down... by a whole £56. But DD has rocketed!! :mad:

Really not sure how those who are struggling are expected to pay these bills its frightening
Have you considered its increasing because the £66/month government support has ended?

It makes complete sense that you previously were paying £169 less the £66 and now you will be paying £135 so your bill has gone down but you no longer get the £400 from the magic money tree.

Thats not a bad idea actually used to have one a long time ago so not like its an unknown quantity especially since the govt is removing the prepayment premium from july
On top of that my overnight rate on Economy 7 is 8.2p per kWh, which is actually cheaper than it was before all the price rises. Latest figures showed I was over 80% night time consumption.

I’m still happy to stay on prepayment as smart meters are still yet to be a benefit to me personally.

Last edited:
Ovo already did away with this for new customers I believe?
*edit* yup, stopped

'As of 27th September 2021, we’re no longer offering the OVO Interest Reward scheme with our tariffs. If you signed up for an eligible tariff before this date, you’ll still get rewards. Learn about how the scheme works and how we calculate your payments on this page.'

Link
I mean the Shell petrol saving if you have shell energy.

I love that device you have bought, I looked at a few of those just for the idea of the tech its an interesting thing to have. Could it act like UPS or its just after the fact and maybe for camping type deal.
The price vs capacity seems fair enough, I have hopes battery and generally this technical challenge keeps evolving in our favour. Solar got a lot more efficent etc.

This is a video with an 'expert' he says a lot of interesting stuff. Its good if they dont require cobalt and variety of sources exists etc. : https://youtu.be/kpMZprdurSw?t=221
EV but generally could be important info considering its part of Solar setup imo it will become more widespread

Reactions: J.D
I love that device you have bought, I looked at a few of those just for the idea of the tech its an interesting thing to have. Could it act like UPS or its just after the fact and maybe for camping type deal.
The price vs capacity seems fair enough, I have hopes battery and generally this technical challenge keeps evolving in our favour. Solar got a lot more efficent etc.

This is a video with an 'expert' he says a lot of interesting stuff. Its good if they dont require cobalt and variety of sources exists etc. : https://youtu.be/kpMZprdurSw?t=221
EV but generally could be important info considering its part of Solar setup imo it will become more widespread
It's a pretty cool device but sadly this one can't be used as a UPS but others can. The inverter size lets it down slightly but for £999 it's well worth the money to get you through a night with no electricity.

I did consider the Bluetti AC200P and AC200Max (also Echoflow) but they are +70% more expensive for less capacity (2000/2048Wh vs EB240 2400Wh) but a larger inverter. When you realise how much a cooker and washing machine would drain the capacity of any of these units if used for a sustained amount of time, the expense for what you'd need to use these items becomes not worth it for emergency situation use (£999 vs £4100 AC200 Max and a 3000Wh B300 expansion batteries/5k Wh total - 4 times more expensive for double the capacity). I have a small gas stove if I get hungry and that will do me for now. I'm happy enough with a good few hours of entertainment (PC, Modem, Fridge-Freezer, 900w kettle and a few lights). If power outages became more frequent then I'll maybe look into a unit with a larger inverter with some expansion batteries or add expansion to the unit I have but for now, I'm prepared for short periods. As you said, I can also use this for camping or other outdoor use if I ever feel the need too. It's just a handy gadget to have.

Some of the complete back-up systems will run into tens of thousands of pounds/euros/dollars with huge inverter sizes, battery expansions and will power your whole home for hours on end.

The technology is advancing quite quickly and with EV involvement, it only helps the movement for batteries and solar. That's an interesting video, I didn't know our phones used more cobalt than the batteries of a standard range EV car, crazy. I think having solar and a battery is a good idea for everyone. You can spend less than me and also a whole lot more considering what each person needs/can afford so you don't have to rely on candles/torches to sit and read a book in the dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEwhCDJp3os This guy done a 48 blackout test in Scotland with some solar use (plus he cheated a little as you'll see in the video)

some things insurance is over rated (extended warranties are insurance really). so long as you can afford to cover the worst thing that could possibly go wrong and are potentially prepared to do so then so be it.

but for things like car insurance where you could potentially make someone a paraplegic who needs assisted living for the rest of their life or where you could write off a 500k exotic hyper car (even if you are driving a £200 banger) then they are a total necessity.
personally I am ok with paying a standing charge on gas pipes and electricity cables etc .

whether or not I use them today, they need to be working for when I do need them. the alternative is if some one is dead set against it is for them to go off grid .
whether or not the current increases in costs is a fair price is another discussion however and on that Indo feel we may be being taken for mugs.

and SC covering failed businesses ... again on that I am torn. I don't want people to lose their money they had in credit OTOH why should I foot the bill of a PRIVATE company just because they were mismanaged? if they were nationalised then sure I happily take the rough with the smooth so long as some of the profits go into public coffers in the good times
I think most people accepted the previous levels of SC, its the recent rapid increases that have drawn focus on it.

So we may not be miles apart on our thinking.

Looks like somebody isn't worried about their energy bill. :mad::mad:

Rishi Sunak’s new private heated swimming pool uses so much energy that the local electricity network had to be upgraded to meet its power demands, the Guardian has been told.

While many Britons are facing increased electricity bills – and are trying to limit their energy usage – extra equipment was recently installed in a remote part of North Yorkshire to provide extra capacity from the National Grid to the prime minister’s constituency home.
Rishi Sunak has electricity grid upgraded to heat his private pool - The Guardian

Last edited:
SO he's had a three phase cable fitted which was some distance away and paid for it himself..
Woop de ****ing doo.
I'm not questioning the work done. But I think people are asking themselves whether or not Rishi Sunak is out of touch with his luxurious pool, when a lot of people are struggling to pay their energy bills right now.

Of course, I get and understand those who say it's his money and he can do what he likes with it. But it doesn't look very good to those struggling.

I'm not questioning the work done. But I think people are asking themselves whether or not Rishi Sunak is out of touch with his luxurious pool, when a lot of people are struggling to pay their energy bills right now.

Of course, I get and understand those who say it's his money and he can do what he likes with it. But it doesn't look very good to those struggling.
where do you draw the line? yes he is ludacrously loaded and in truth he probably can't identify with the average punter on the street..... but then I doubt the vast majority of past PMs could either certainly in the last 20 years or so.
he allegedly paid for it himself which that alone gives hin brownie points from me....it's a fairly "normal" thing for larger houses to have done. there is a lot of things i despise about this government.... but Sunak having a pool installed so long as at his expense isn't one of them.
iirc (and I may be getting confused with someone else) he even tried to have ground solar installed to make it green energy powered but he was refused planning.

Last edited:
I've had an email from EON saying that my prices have decreased!

You can imagine my excitement when I read that my electricity had come down by 12.99 and my gas 0.01p annually.

Better than nothing I guess :D

That's the 6 month "cold period" done (Oct to March) so usage below from 1st Oct to 31st March:

Gas - 2,154kWh, £270.97 (221.43 + £49.54SC)
Elec - 606kWh, £294.95 (£204.59 + £90.36SC)

Total - £565.92 (¼ or £140 is SC)

I'm estimating annual usage to be ⅔ of that again now it's warmer and lighter?

Back
Top Bottom