Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I'm not questioning the work done. But I think people are asking themselves whether or not Rishi Sunak is out of touch with his luxurious pool, when a lot of people are struggling to pay their energy bills right now.

Of course, I get and understand those who say it's his money and he can do what he likes with it. But it doesn't look very good to those struggling.

Can you name an ex prime minister who was on his uppers?

Last edited:
I'm on an Eon fixed tariff that is now slightly higher than their gas variable rate - it runs out in October - is there any reason to think that gas prices will increase significantly before October? I'm thinking I should just move to the variable rate now (no exit fee).

not an expert so could be wrong but i would expect them to drop if anything........ and then go up again in october as we near winter. It was using this logic that i got lucky and put in a 2 year fix in autumn 2021 using the logic that it will get used far more in winter than summer/autumn.

I'm on an Eon fixed tariff that is now slightly higher than their gas variable rate - it runs out in October - is there any reason to think that gas prices will increase significantly before October? I'm thinking I should just move to the variable rate now (no exit fee).

It's going to keep dropping this year and quite possibly be April 2021 prices next year. If you can get out now then do it

It's going to keep dropping this year and quite possibly be April 2021 prices next year. If you can get out now then do it

Requested it and they responded within 5 mins, impressed - but now the tariff on my account doesn't match the account on the tariff switch mail, not impressed.

The SC on the mail is higher than on my account and won't balance out the tiny reduction in the unit price.

Nothing is ever straight forward with them.. :mad:

most folks on variable have higher SC's now under £2.5K epg cap & energy cap of 2.5K is only until july when both those variable electric/gas can change
... opec oil output reduction yesterday maybe copied by gas suppliers - they want to preserve profits, with the lowering demand/recessions - so holding a fixed can be good

personally, waiting to see if there are further fixed deals like OVO's lower than £2.5K cap (or if OVO stop theirs)

-------------
[
I thought Rishi had another pool from above re-posts - protests outside his home April 1
]

Requested it and they responded within 5 mins, impressed - but now the tariff on my account doesn't match the account on the tariff switch mail, not impressed.

The SC on the mail is higher than on my account and won't balance out the tiny reduction in the unit price.

Nothing is ever straight forward with them.. :mad:

I'm with Eon Next and got the same email... I had a look and realised that the extra SC wouldn't be balanced out by the unit rate difference (which in itself was pretty minimal) so I stuck with my fixed which runs out in Aug.

I'm with Eon Next and got the same email... I had a look and realised that the extra SC wouldn't be balanced out by the unit rate difference (which in itself was pretty minimal) so I stuck with my fixed which runs out in Aug.

So the tariff on the e-mail is called NEXT_FLEX whereas the tariff on my account is called NEXT FLEX so I'm assuming the e-mail is wrong as the tariff on my account matches the same as what a new customer would be charged at my address - but who knows.. waiting for a reply..

Well, got to the bottom of why we were spending a fortune on energy. Our 18 year old Maytag fridge freezer broke down the day before our new LG arrived (wait for it!).

The delivery men dismantled the Maytag and got it onto the driveway. Took down the new LG and unpacked it. Totally destroyed! Had been dropped on it's head and was in no way salvageable. Long story short, we have no main fridge freezer. We have a little counter top one, like you'd have in a bedsit.

The old Maytag was using between £5 and £7 per day in electricity, according to our smart meter. I am stunned that it was using that much power. Must have been something really wrong with it to be churning through that much. LG can do one though as we still have no fridge freezer nearly 2 weeks later.

Really old appliances are often a lot less energy efficient, you'd probably have been able to see that on smart meter data or similar as well especially overnight when no one is doing anything in particular.

Well, got to the bottom of why we were spending a fortune on energy. Our 18 year old Maytag fridge freezer broke down the day before our new LG arrived (wait for it!).

The delivery men dismantled the Maytag and got it onto the driveway. Took down the new LG and unpacked it. Totally destroyed! Had been dropped on it's head and was in no way salvageable. Long story short, we have no main fridge freezer. We have a little counter top one, like you'd have in a bedsit.

The old Maytag was using between £5 and £7 per day in electricity, according to our smart meter. I am stunned that it was using that much power. Must have been something really wrong with it to be churning through that much. LG can do one though as we still have no fridge freezer nearly 2 weeks later.
I had a little camping fridge-freezer that ran on gas, but it also had a 240V supply. I set it up as a bar fridge one day, and then I found it was using 120W continuously. so 2.6kwh/day, which isn't far off the consumption you were seeing from yours...
It got turned off again!

Last edited:
I had a little camping fridge-freezer that ran on gas, but it also had a 240V supply. I set it up as a bar fridge one day, and then I found it was using 120W continuously. so 2.6kwh/day, which isn't far off the consumption you were seeing from yours...
It got turned off again!

£5 - £7 per day, call it £6, is 17.64 kWh per day at £0.34/kWh. Far, far away from 120W constant supply.

My American style fridge freezer uses between 25-80w whenever I check. The lower state is when it has not been opened for a while or over night.

So the tariff on the e-mail is called NEXT_FLEX whereas the tariff on my account is called NEXT FLEX so I'm assuming the e-mail is wrong as the tariff on my account matches the same as what a new customer would be charged at my address - but who knows.. waiting for a reply..

Turns out they have messed up the prices on the e-mail as this is showing the price for people that dont pay by DD - my account price is correct and lower than my old fix. Eon just cant seem to get anything right..

Octopus just increased my DD to £445.90! My account isn't in debt, and my last 6 bills were:

October - £242
November - £294
December - £416
January - £402
February - £324
March - £268

They did this six months ago, and at the time their website let me drop it back to £300 (+ the govt £67). And for the whole of the past six months, £445.90 has being their recommended payment. But this time, the website is insistent that anything less than £445.90 will leave my account in debt (despite my average bill being £324 over the past six months).

Looks like I'm going to have to ring them :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom