Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Got the direct debit email, they have left it at £67 rebate level, no automatic increase. What the .... (octopus)

I cant manually set it to the old amount either as its saying I need to set at least 4x the normal amount (still completely broken, so looks like I need to ring), I think I will just set it to variable direct debit, their automated system is still broken on my account.

Last edited:
I didn't notice any comms in my email inbox but EON have lowered my DD to £105 from £135 this month. I'm yet to do the maths but I suspect that's still too high. Currently £300 in credit.

So British gas have put our direct debit up from £100 this time last year, to £144 in October last year to a whopping £219.
Dont know why, as we were £1017 in credit before they dropped that lovely number. Absolute Robbing tw@ts.

I'm expecting EDF to do their usual trick of refunding my credit to me and raising the direct debit. I wish they would just leave the direct debit low as I intentionally set it, so it sips away at the credit, but I also get that they're not supposed to allow customers to build up large amounts of credit.

Thank you for your idea! This has been raised before internally and by customers, I know that this payment method is available with a few other providers, I believe EDF is included in this cohort. The most common type of direct debit is 'fixed' monthly direct debit, the reason we choose this payment method is because it allows customers to budget and creates an average over the course of the year therefore avoiding large winter payments.
I’ve changed this to ‘Can’t be done yet’ as it is not something OVO are considering currently. However, that’s not to say it won’t happen in future- it’s a popular idea so can continue to be voted for so we can gauge the interest in variable direct debits.

but, still no fixed deals other than OVO - not even for cephalopod r***l lovers

Does kraken&co have AI yet
Houston, Texas-based Innowatts, is a startup that has developed an automated toolkit for energy monitoring and management. The company’s eUtility platform ingests data from more than 34 million smart energy meters across 21 million customers including major U.S. utility companies such as Arizona Public Service Electric, Portland General Electric, Avangrid, Gexa Energy, WGL, and Mega Energy. Innowatts says its machine learning algorithms are able to analyze the data to forecast several critical data points including short- and long-term loads, variances, weather sensitivity, and more. Innowatts estimates that without its machine learning models, utilities would have seen inaccuracies of 20% or more on their projections at the peak of the crisis thus placing enormous strain on their operations and ultimately driving up costs for end-users.

I tried this with OVO and they put you on punitive rates for switching to variable direct debit.

I'd agree with TNA switch to a better supplier, Octopus doesn't do this.

You sure they just didn't get confused here? there is a penalty typically for non-DD rates, but for DD either variable or fixed monthly, I've never heard of there being punitive rates. I've done this with a few suppliers now.

Sounds like you got a jobsworth who thought you meant cancelling DD and paying manually or something.

Possibly given the forum statement above. The person(s) I dealt with at OVO would switch me but the product rates were horrific which I posted about before.

I’ll switch to Octopus when they have a reasonable rate as their quoted rates are higher than OVO currently.

I can’t also get a smart meter (due to location in basement) so that prevents some of the better rates.

Possibly given the forum statement above. The person(s) I dealt with at OVO would switch me but the product rates were horrific which I posted about before.

I’ll switch to Octopus when they have a reasonable rate as their quoted rates are higher than OVO currently.

I can’t also get a smart meter (due to location in basement) so that prevents some of the better rates.

Typically unit rates won't change but the way you pay for them would, DD is DD whether it's variable or fixed.

If they don't offer this, then switch supplier at the soonest reasonable chance, because dealing with this kind of rubbish through a supplier that is hard to reach is a pain.

Back
Top Bottom