Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

If you're on the price cap then prices are the same.

I'm on the price cap with eon and when I dropped in my postcode with octopus and looked at their tariff it was only slightly more expensive. Unless eon have shaved off a penny or so.

Actually just directly compared my numbers and octopus would cost me £7.73 a month more.

Electric eon v octopus
Unit = 31.74p / 32.72p
SC = 41.20p / 49.77p
EPG Q1/Q2 = 31.74p / 31.16p

Gas eon v octopus
Unit = 9.839p / 10.32p
SC = 27.13p / 27.47p
EPG Q1/Q2 = 9.84p / 9.83p

Last edited:
In on the price cap with eon and when I dropped in my postcode with octopus and looked at their tariff it was only slightly more expensive. Unless eon have shaved off a penny or so.
Yeah the only difference would be the variable tariff but with obvious caveats I.e its variable and the waiting list.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting now I've added in the EPG for Q1 and Q2 I can see eon are right on the mark so my electric bill should be maybe £1 cheaper, gas remains the same.

Should complain to octopus and ask why their rates are higher than the EPG. They also sting you quite hard on SC rates. Will be interested to know current octopus customers what their SC rates are.

Hmm interesting now I've added in the EPG for Q1 and Q2 I can see eon are right on the mark so my electric bill should be maybe £1 cheaper, gas remains the same.

Should complain to octopus and ask why their rates are higher than the EPG. They also sting you quite hard on SC rates. Will be interested to know current octopus customers what their SC rates are.

Its so they can subsidise those of us of Go, Flux etc

Thankyou for your contribution ;)

Calculated my elec average unit cost for March, combo of go peak, offpeak, saving session, plus diverter using units instead of gas to heat my water
Average unit cost, 4.8pence, and another nice contribution of £190 to my solar install costs. 4 months plus a few days, end of Nov to March saw a reduction of £695 to my bills vs the normal 34p tariff I would have paid.

My gas on the Octopus tracker ended up at 5.13p excl VAT, usage coming down quickly now though so saving isn't that much, circa £50 for March

Calculated my elec average unit cost for March, combo of go peak, offpeak, saving session, plus diverter using units instead of gas to heat my water
Average unit cost, 4.8pence, and another nice contribution of £190 to my solar install costs. 4 months plus a few days, end of Nov to March saw a reduction of £695 to my bills vs the normal 34p tariff I would have paid.

My gas on the Octopus tracker ended up at 5.13p excl VAT, usage coming down quickly now though so saving isn't that much, circa £50 for March
I'd like to see the data, is it available for people not on the tracker or is it private?

I pay 21p day for electric but thats because I am on a nice old Agile tariff.

For their SVR tariff, I am pretty sure Octopus have a loyalty tariff which actually reduces the SC lower than competitors. Its not much of a discount but it does exist.

I wonder what will happen if 80% of the population end up on octopus.... They seem to be growing in popularity.

I think a lot of people are getting very interested in some of the smarter tariffs that they offer. People are starting to learn to shift their usage around, I've seen some of the bigger suppliers have started offering some of these tariffs but they almost seem to just follow octopus rather than come up with something innovative.

I think a lot of people are getting very interested in some of the smarter tariffs that they offer. People are starting to learn to shift their usage around, I've seen some of the bigger suppliers have started offering some of these tariffs but they almost seem to just follow octopus rather than come up with something innovative.

Yeah I have to say I do love the thought that octopus puts into their tariffs but also the tech behind it. Like for example their API. It means I can link it to my home assistant but also to my solar system to automate some of the charging and exporting for peak financial performance.

What I worry is that they will become less competitive and/or the benefits will be caveated behind some specific terms of contract (like saving sessions and high export rates etc).

Must say though that octopus have been flawless for me, and because of my situation and set up spend less than £50 per month now.

It's good that they are pushing the innovative thinking though it'll hopefully make the energy sector more interesting in the future.

There is that concern I feel they will have to start making cold decisions in their direction, do they just want to outright grow or remain unique in the market place, can both be done at the same time? They put a 6 month waiting list on one of their unique tariffs when demand increased, which is an indication the two might clash at some point.

Customer service also hasnt recovered since before they first became a SOLR.

Back
Top Bottom