Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

No idea at all as they haven't even told us that they were increasing the first time (1st April) although I knew they would because of the £67 a month ending. I detest the standing charge as it's the one thing I have no control over. Between the gas and electric that's £30 a month and nothing I do will ever get that lower. I wish I could switch to one of these tracking rates but I guess that's not going to be a option until this mess finally sorts itself out.

tracker doesn't fix the standing charge, and even if the unit gas tracker price is lower, if SC is big part of the bill tracker won't help much,
also, whilst we might use more electricity(oven cooking) if units were cheaper, turning the heating up or having longer showers is puerile, like folks gaming the saving sessions.

I've not understood why there seems to be more variation of SC since April, compared to previous 6 months, both of them a £2.5K epg cap.

[
Confirmed i am getting the mini monitoring device
these seem gimped as they don't offer real time upload/integration to home assistant(or smartphone) so that you can record 30s consumption data like bright CAD device.
]

What’s your guys yearly gas only bill?

Ours from April 2022-March 2023 was £1959.
I have been on a 2 year fix which ends November this year.
my total gas for 2022 was £277.76

(5896kwh)

but that means nothing without context.

that is a 1961 3 bed semi with gas heating and shower (combi boiler) but with cavity and good loft insulation

cooking is electric.

SC is prolly on top so add £97 on so

total £374.76

it helps I live in one of the warmest parts of country (near Cambridge).... and I am tight and go jumper before heating and force that on the wife and kid too ;)

Last edited:
I've not understood why there seems to be more variation of SC since April, compared to previous 6 months, both of them a £2.5K epg cap.

Basically ofgem increased the allowed SC, this would have pushed "typical use" costs above 2.5k a year, so government increased unit subsidy to compensate.

erm, yeah, daily price, and historical data. I just want to see how it tracking. So it available to everyone or do you have to be on the tracker to see the data?

Its not that clear even to those on it I think, just the days rate
I kept some days values, start of March

5.78​
5.93​
5.89​
5.67​
5.67​
5.68​
5.5​
5.67​
5.48​
5.62​

erm, yeah, daily price,

or V

via https://octopus.energy/agile/
looked at Octopus Agile Kwh price, average, over last month for time slots, wouldn't be a pretty bill for me in E of England -
not sure I understand how they can't be making a massive loss on overnight GO 7.5p rate if the Agile rate is nowhere near, as data does not show any renewable energy surplus being sold off at bargain rates (maybe we are shipping it to France, with their downed nukes)

I know. It such a git that I can’t handle lower temperatures. Gets on my ******* nerves.
it's people like you who should genuinely consider semi retiring to somewhere like Tenerife if at all possible..... reasonably warm all year around.

my next door neighbours used to head over here (I am there now but going home today) early November and then come back to UK start of march. they claimed over all it didn't cost much more than being in the UK (I never fact checked however)

It's high (pretty much bang on for the high figure) but not off the scale.

Think ours is around 13,000 so just over medium
I shouldnt be surprised. my nest report alway has us in the bottom 25% of energy users (usually less) but I think for us to use that amount in our 3 bed semi (it is insured as a 4 bed due to extension which replaced garage but that is not on the gas central heating it's electric) but to use over 10000kwh we would be melting. if our shower wasn't gas heated we would use even less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom