Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Not sure if mentioned here yet, but tracker is changing to smart meter only to gut out the waiting list, the requirement should also be on renewals as well.

The live electric graph on octopus mini in the app is I think down to 1 minute intervals. (quick eye ball count of bars).

I think it's every 10 seconds if you change it to the 5 minute graph.

Do you submit manual readings ? If so. Say you submit 2 readings a month. One in the middle of the Month and one at the end. Does this mean octopus take out 2 payments in that month?
I'll call them I think
If Variable DD, they will initiate a payment every time a bill is issued.

A Fixed DD is taken once a month.

I have a smart meter so my readings are automatically submitted.

Last edited:
If Variable DD, they will initiate a payment every time a bill is issued.

A Fixed DD is taken once a month.

I have a smart meter so my readings are automatically submitted.

The bill for electricity for example states

Pay Monthly Variable (24th March 2023 - 31st March 2023)

Then

Flexible Octopus (1st April 2023 - 13th April 2023)

For electric,. So it's like their billing for 2 weeks

Not sure I'm going to give them a call, the reason I submit a reading half way through the month is to make it more accurate then I submit one on 24th which is usually just before or when bills are produced for bills to come out on the first of each month .

Maybe on the incorrect billing since being switched over

The live electric graph on octopus mini in the app is I think down to 1 minute intervals. (quick eye ball count of bars).
has the 10s data been of practical use ?
for electric ovens / washing machines/dryers I'd like to review their periodic consumption during operating cycle - which is why I want donloadable historic data.

I don't know if the mini is taking its data from the DCC cloud database via internet like bright/hildebrand alternative -
afaik smart meters themselves may have problems when 2g/3g is turned off, need a 4g smart meter for future proofing.

for electric ovens / washing machines/dryers I'd like to review their periodic consumption during operating cycle - which is why I want donloadable historic data.

I don't know if the mini is taking its data from the DCC cloud database via internet like bright/hildebrand alternative -
afaik smart meters themselves may have problems when 2g/3g is turned off, need a 4g smart meter for future proofing.

The normal DCC system doesnt have live usage, so its using something Octopus themselves have setup, Its basically a much better IHD type device which outputs to your phone instead for range/conveniance and provides current day data based on the local data collection.

Got to love Octopus - an automatic price drop on elec tariff tonight :)

52831726802_835fce238e_c.jpg

lol earlier today i literally left octopus Go...... Flux IS still probably a better fit for me just just the mental line of being under 40p peak and under 10p offpeak may have tipped me over the edge to stay.

still no going back now as i dont check the criteria to going on Go any more. i would only have gotten to stay on it due to being a legacy customer.

Flux should still work out better if you're able to export on days like today.

The drop in price for Go may have only been for the ones who had the higher pricing to begin with, I was on 40/7.5 and I still calculated Flux should be a little better for me for the next 5 months or so.

My reply may not have been clear, it does show live power draw, so e.g. 2000w when using 2000 watt kettle.

Is no download button I think but you can take screenshots.

yes you can check out any time you want , but you cannot rejoin instantly if you have any pain, theoretical 'queues' too.
but if you switch away from a smart import tariff, you cannot switch back to a smart import tariff within 30 days.

for those companies keeping epg subsidised rates, excess revenue, if the energy price is lower is still helping pay off the nationwide debt from earlier

My reply may not have been clear, it does show live power draw, so e.g. 2000w when using 2000 watt kettle.
yes I realise it shows live data, the dcc based live systems do too, but for both the data is making the round trip via the internet/cloud afaik.
...so you do see turning on a kettle, quasi instantly, then, in the next 10s slot ?

I am not sure live data is uploaded on the normal system, the suppliers do say they can only recieve data limited times a day. If it was uploaded and accessible as often Octopus wouldnt have needed to make the mini device I think.

Just checked the 5 minute screen, it does indeed poll the live data every 10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom