Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Yeah but that is now £600 on the price cap. So people just quoting monetary values is kind of useless without stating how much they use and if they are on an old fix etc.
true enough which is why posting costs in general is pointless. all you can compare is usage. but even then house size / age or region of the UK makes a difference (East Anglia is gonna use less on average than north Scotland)

the only helpful thing I can say is our wall and loft insulation improved the warmth of the house and cut our use noticeably.

Last edited:
How many units is that though? About 2000kWh a year? Extremely low.

Yeah it's 2400-ish kWh.

I only posted cash amount as that's what Rob asked for.

The coldest 6 months (Oct to March inclusive) was 2000 kWh but the heating is now off again and won't likely need to come on again until Oct/Nov so it's only the shower and the gas hob that uses gas now.

Electric is around 1100 kWh/year

The current energy price forecast change from July is :

For a typical household:
July – September: £2,024 p/a
October - December: £2,076 p/a
Current : £2,500 (Government subsidised)

Standing Charge and Unit Costs for the second half of 2023:
July-September
SC : £/day) Elec–0.53, Gas–0.29
UC: (p/kWh) Elec–28.39, Gas–7.51

October-December
SC : £/day) Elec- 0.54, Gas– 0.30
UC: (p/kWh) Elec – 29.86, Gas – 7.52

Last edited:
The current energy price forecast change from July is :

For a typical household:
July – September: £2,024 p/a
October - December: £2,076 p/a

Standing Charge and Unit Costs for the second half of 2023:
July-September
SC : £/day) Elec–0.53, Gas–0.29
UC: (p/kWh) Elec–28.39, Gas–7.51

October-December
SC : £/day) Elec- 0.54, Gas– 0.30
UC: (p/kWh) Elec – 29.86, Gas – 7.52
Well it's a drop but really no point in it.

Should I switch to Octopus? I am currently with Shell Energy and pay about £150 p/m for both electricity and gas (mostly electricity). I keep seeing Octopus mentioned here so much, are they the cheapest option right now?

Should I switch to Octopus? I am currently with Shell Energy and pay about £150 p/m for both electricity and gas (mostly electricity). I keep seeing Octopus mentioned here so much, are they the cheapest option right now?

Not really no its not about price specifically
Its customer service and if you have a more niche requirement they tend to be better (such as EV, solar etc)

Anyone else octopus screwy? I came from bulb. I used to submit a meter reading on 14th of month and then 24th month..they would take direct debit out on 1st of each month. My bill date in octpus is set to take direct debit out 1st month . However just scanning through my bank statement they didn't take any money out on 1st. They take the money out when you provide a reading ? Will have to call them as that's weird. Also the bill statement shows for specific weeks.

Do they just take money each time.you submit a reading?

Last edited:
Anyone else octopus screwy? I came from bulb. I used to submit a meter reading on 14th of month and then 24th month..they would take direct debit out on 1st of each month. My bill date in octpus is set to take direct debit out 1st month . However just scanning through my bank statement they didn't take any money out on 1st. They take the money out when you provide a reading ? Will have to call them as that's weird. Also the bill statement shows for specific weeks.

Have you had a bill on the website?
I have had and I know some others have had occasional bill issues. Shouldnt affect DD but with the influx of you bulbers its possible something is wrong

But no normally DD date is DD date

Edit, btw get a smart meter ;)

Last edited:
I recently switched, but mainly because of the referral bonus available :)

As a heads up, you wont get credited for the DD until its cleared.

I send bulb a reading every 4-5months, they're estimates are always pretty good and haven't needed to speak with them, unlike man posters who have them on speed-chat.

---

with a smart meter switching supplier you can loose your IHD functionality I thought, not sure that's compensated by a referral,
I'm waiting for a supplier to deliver an IHD(CAD) which will provide logged/historic <30s resolution real time electric consumption before I succumb,
octopus electric tracker averaging 20p/unit, would save a £1 a day though, or, the gas tracker rate if we were using much gas (or, had a gas hob/oven.)

Last edited:
Not sure if mentioned here yet, but tracker is changing to smart meter only to gut out the waiting list, the requirement should also be on renewals as well.

I'm waiting for a supplier to deliver an IHD(CAD) which will provide logged/historic <30s resolution real time electric consumption before I succumb,
octopus electric tracker averaging 20p/unit, would save a £1 a day though, or, the gas tracker rate if we were using much gas (or, had a gas hob/oven.)

The live electric graph on octopus mini in the app is I think down to 1 minute intervals. (quick eye ball count of bars).

Last edited:

Also moved over from bulb, they took my DD but haven't charged me for any gas yet. Applied for a smart meter with them but no appointments on the website, says they'll contact me.

Back
Top Bottom