Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

looking to see how people are getting on with the OVO anytime ev rates/charging strategy - as someone suggested octopus maybe reacting to OVO immigrants.

If it was uploaded and accessible as often Octopus wouldnt have needed to make the mini device I think.
with the bulb chameleon v3 ihd, it is also a cad device(can get dcc data), you can see online instructions on how you can get that live data onto a computer - so, indeed, mini is a display, but not essential.
eg https://blog.ldodds.com/2021/03/23/the-uk-smart-meter-data-ecosystem/

I am done with Sainsbury's Energy. First they increase my standing charges twice at the begining of the month to ridiculous levels and now they have just notified me that they will be taking my direct debit in 7 days and by the way we are taking a extra £50 off you!! I thought they had to give 14 days notice for any increase? There's no way on my account to see daily usage let alone hourly usage apart from the tiny display on the IHD, there is nothing at all on their website when I log in. Time for a switch to Octopus I think so I would be grateful if someone could open a conversation and send me a referral please.

***Edit*** Many thanks to HungryHippos for the referral and I have now signed up with Octopus. The units rates are slightly cheaper and the standing charge is a lot cheaper on the electricity.

Last edited:
I am done with Sainsbury's Energy. First they increase my standing charges twice at the begining of the month to ridiculous levels and now they have just notified me that they will be taking my direct debit in 7 days and by the way we are taking a extra £50 off you!! I thought they had to give 14 days notice for any increase? There's no way on my account to see daily usage let alone hourly usage apart from the tiny display on the IHD, there is nothing at all on their website when I log in. Time for a switch to Octopus I think so I would be grateful if someone could open a conversation and send me a referral please.

Done!

The current energy price forecast change from July is :

For a typical household:
July – September: £2,024 p/a
October - December: £2,076 p/a
Current : £2,500 (Government subsidised)

Standing Charge and Unit Costs for the second half of 2023:
July-September
SC : £/day) Elec–0.53, Gas–0.29
UC: (p/kWh) Elec–28.39, Gas–7.51

October-December
SC : £/day) Elec- 0.54, Gas– 0.30
UC: (p/kWh) Elec – 29.86, Gas – 7.52
Good, looks like we'll be able to drop our direct debit from £190 to £140-ish based on these estimations. That's even before accounting for the £700+ credit we've got on our Octopus account.

Good, looks like we'll be able to drop our direct debit from £190 to £140-ish based on these estimations. That's even before accounting for the £700+ credit we've got on our Octopus account.
Wow so SC is going up again in October, it looks like its on a perpetual upwards projectile now, some time last year they were predicting SC to go back down during 2023.

Martin Lewis, Charities and even Octopus are still campaigning to shrink SC, with Ofgem resisting.

In September, Octopus Energy announced it was cutting its standing charge on standard variable tariffs by 4%, and giving up to 100,000 of its poorest customers a six-month standing charge holiday. “Standing charges are pernicious,” said chief executive Greg Jackson. “They make it harder for people to save money by using less energy, and Octopus is working with the energy regulator to push them down.”

Apparently the SOLR costs have already started going down but "new" costs have replaced them, I guess now the population has got used to paying the higher SC they figured its easier to maintain the current level. Shame they gone down this path.

Last edited:
SC's are very region specific apparently as low as 39p london and up to 63 in scottish areas - you can find a bbc podcast from last week that discusses this
(r4 you & yours) they interview ofgen female director who had resigned over their calculation.
[=> those July and Oct forecasts will not apply in all areas of country]

BUT ofgen prinipal argument to hold them high is that even though high sc means low use poorer folks have disproportionately high costs, those poorer high consumption users
(medical equipment, electrical heating) would be hit if the sc was reduced and unit increased.

Greg Jackson got a good deal with the govt bulb transaction, gifting octopus a premier league position, so he can afford to be benevolent now on 4%(!) SC
octopus need to match the more flexible OVO ev deal.

Apparently the SOLR costs have already started going down but "new" costs have replaced them, I guess now the population has got used to paying the higher SC they figured its easier to maintain the current level. Shame they gone down this path.

Whoulda think it.... Energy suppliers condition customers with high SC using SOLR costs then use this conditioning to keep them high.

If Ofgem and the energy suppliers wanted full transparency regarding the SOLR part of the SC, then they make the data publicly available and updated monthly to show total amount left to pay, amount taken from SC to pay for it (collectively and from each customer) and an anticipated end date.

I don't agree that a SC should be more than 25% of a bill that is for a life essential.

Whoulda think it.... Energy suppliers condition customers with high SC using SOLR costs then use this conditioning to keep them high.

If Ofgem and the energy suppliers wanted full transparency regarding the SOLR part of the SC, then they make the data publicly available and updated monthly to show total amount left to pay, amount taken from SC to pay for it (collectively and from each customer) and an anticipated end date.

I don't agree that a SC should be more than 25% of a bill that is for a life essential.

The transparency on the SC charges isn't there, and I do agree that they shouldn't just be finding excuses to keep them high.

It's bad enough people are having to pay balances for collapsed suppliers, which Ofgem should have been protecting against with proper policies.

My SC is twice the cost of my electric use, and it really pee's me off.

The transparency on the SC charges isn't there, and I do agree that they shouldn't just be finding excuses to keep them high.

It's bad enough people are having to pay balances for collapsed suppliers, which Ofgem should have been protecting against with proper policies.
I agree. if it were nationalised I would not have minded but it does cheese me off paying for privatised companies which failed after skimming profits . Despite that in principle I can live with paying for the cost of the network as well as upgrading for renewables. that is what SC should be for . we are paying more. now because we have to but I think we should see breakdowns of where our money is going combined with how much still to go to cover the failed companies and an ETA before the costs come down.
whilst inflation will have an affect....... there is no reason why even in the height of the shortages SC should have changed.

Last edited:
My SC is twice the cost of my electric use, and it really pee's me off.
That video corrected its petition link, has half a million signatures.

SC Petition

Claims there is a headroom in the SC allowance (to cover inefficiencies).

I agree on the above replies regarding transparency, it just isnt there. Part of the problem of Ofgem promoting an overall typical annual cost is it dumbs down the visibility of zero usage costs growth.

Also kicking can down the road from Ofgem. They seem to genuinely not recognise there is a SC problem.

Ofgem SC Review Update

Last edited:
Sun has its uses disparity of sc

DD-COMP-ENERGY-PRICE-RISE-MAP-MAR30-v2-1.jpg

[
solr repayment regime
... excepting bulb seems some 1.8bn to payback in 15 months.
Accelerated SOLR cost recovery eases pressure on suppliers but will add to bills

In normal circumstances, the earliest that SOLRs can begin receiving LRSPs is from around 15 months after their appointment, with full repayment coming around 12-15 months later.
]

Will octopus be the only supplier in a few years time? Not just on the forum but it seems like people are switching to octopus but no one is switching anywhere else

Back
Top Bottom