Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

No, this forum just has a bit of a hard on for octopus at the moment. Mainly because you have a lot of EV drivers and people with Solar taking advantage of their more niche tariffs.
The referral bonus alone is what is prompting many to switch. When all other suppliers cost the same (+/- 0.5p), a £50 referral goes a long way.

I've certainly been converting my friends and family :)

Even my 60 year old Mum transferred to them to use one of their alternative tariffs

Last edited:
That video corrected its petition link, has half a million signatures.

SC Petition

Claims there is a headroom in the SC allowance (to cover inefficiencies).

I agree on the above replies regarding transparency, it just isnt there. Part of the problem of Ofgem promoting an overall typical annual cost is it dumbs down the visibility of zero usage costs growth.

Also kicking can down the road from Ofgem. They seem to genuinely not recognise there is a SC problem.

Ofgem SC Review Update
Signed. Not sure why they ask you for money after signing? Also, they should have put this on the Parliament petitions site.

Will octopus be the only supplier in a few years time? Not just on the forum but it seems like people are switching to octopus but no one is switching anywhere else
Tried switching to Octopus through a referral. I tried a few times early in the month. They want a month up front on the 5th followed by 200 on the 26th. So £400 in month one.

Tried switching to Octopus through a referral. I tried a few times early in the month. They want a month up front on the 5th followed by 200 on the 26th. So £400 in month one.

All you have to do is tell them you want to go on variable payment. All I pay is what I use. Simple as that.
Yep, that's what I did too.

No, this forum just has a bit of a hard on for octopus at the moment. Mainly because you have a lot of EV drivers and people with Solar taking advantage of their more niche tariffs.
It is tinted on the EV yeah, but they great for the other end of the market as well, their SC discounts, help for poorest 100k, letting people join cheap trackers and then losing money to honour the tariffs.

Then you got all of the cutting edge stuff like Octopus mini, decent app, and modern TOU tariffs.

The only thing saving the others now is consumer lazyness and brand loyalty in my opinion. Also anyone with energy debt is locked in as typically moving requires the balance to be cleared.

It is tinted on the EV yeah, but they great for the other end of the market as well, their SC discounts, help for poorest 100k, letting people join cheap trackers and then losing money to honour the tariffs.

Then you got all of the cutting edge stuff like Octopus mini, decent app, and modern TOU tariffs.

The only thing saving the others now is consumer lazyness and brand loyalty in my opinion. Also anyone with energy debt is locked in as typically moving requires the balance to be cleared.
also free to switch from fixed tariff at any time with no penalty.

I agree tho to get the most from them you need to have an EV or solar or home battery, or have ditched gas ( don't forget their cosy tariff )

basically do *something* to try to reduce your energy use carbon footprint and they have a tariff to reward that

Last edited:
Also. Octopus am to be the only competent and advancing company.
Half the time my little monthly usage graph in Scottish power isn't even working

Why are you still with them? Why did you not jump on tracker a couple of months ago. It is cheaper then the deal you got from them as I recall.

note despite being a fully signed up member of the octopus as well as ecotricity fan clubs I do have to admit that whilst octopus customer service is still the best out of any energy company I have been with (and had to use it last week so do have some idea)

it is clear they are feeling the strain after taking on so many new customers..... they are not quite as fast to respond as they were a few years back.
still better than most however (does any company in existence not have a message on their on hold recording that they are experiencing a higher number of calls than usual and may take longer than normal to respond.

Why are you still with them? Why did you not jump on tracker a couple of months ago. It is cheaper then the deal you got from them as I recall.

Because it's
5.1p/unit + 25.3p standing gas
21.3p/unit + 23.6p standing for electricity

Last edited:
And I imagine there are still a fair few people locked into cheap legacy deals with their supplier. I am until next year, so absolutely zero point moving to Octopus just yet. They will definitely be getting a serious look when my current deal ends though.

Puts the heating on ( 2xStorage Heaters ) - £12 by 11am in the morning - Eco 7
Turns off heating, just having computer/tv/hot water over day/night - £3.10 the entire day :cry:

Last edited:
not gonna lie.... that is pretty sweet, i take it that is an older fix and not on offer now?

Yeah I took it out when green (my supplier) and all the others went bust.
Took out a 3 year fix (and got 200 pounds cashback + no exit fees).
There was so much turmoil I went for it even though it was a bit more expensive than the standard variable at the time.

So I'm good until September 2024

Its quite scary as our bill is about 100-120ppm at that rate. So the full variable rate would delete the cost of a holiday over the year. Saved loads at the peak of prices

Last edited:
i am on a good thing with Octopus Flux for the rest of spring and summer... i will have to have a think in autumn, i wont be exporting much by October...... my next car will be an EV, at least for one of our 2 cars, as daft as it sounds i may use that as the excuse i need to replace the rat run car with an older leaf or I3 or something and then get back onto octopus Go. (I wont be allowed back onto it without an EV)

for now however with no EV, the export payments i am getting on Flux means its a great tariff for me for 8 months of the year.

Last edited:
i am on a good thing with Octopus Flux for the rest of spring and summer... i will have to have a think in autumn, i wont be exporting much by October...... my next car will be an EV, at least for one of our 2 cars, as daft as it sounds i may use that as the excuse i need to replace the rat run car with an older leaf or I3 or something and then get back onto octopus Go. (I wont be allowed back onto it without an EV)

for now however with no EV, the export payments i am getting on Flux means its a great tariff for me for 8 months of the year.

I'm not sure what to do come 2024. Hoping prices will have settled down a bit. Looks like they will have. If so it's a good dodge.

Between my mortgage and energy fix I'm saving 300-400 a month vs being passive and just going with the flow in both.
400 is a life changing (while you're paying that) amount of money for me.
I mean it's 4k a year. Just gone. No wonder people are screwed.

Back
Top Bottom