Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Because it's
5.1p/unit + 25.3p standing gas
21.3p/unit + 23.6p standing for electricity

For me today:

4.9p/unit + 26.84p SC for gas
19.51p/unit + 37.3p SC for electricity

Been around these prices for a while now too.

I probably would not risk moving from your fixed rate either to be fair. Forgot your fix was that long.

For me today:

4.9p/unit + 26.84p SC for gas
19.51p/unit + 37.3p SC for electricity

Been around these prices for a while now too.

I probably would not risk moving from your fixed rate either to be fair. Forgot your fix was that long.

Yeah things will need to settle down for me to risk moving. If you start hitting 4p/15p type prices for months, then I'd think about it.
Much like a fixed rate mortgage, it's nice to have certainty

Reactions: TNA
I’m still paying 20p/3p and about 22-25p on the standing charge until august.

After that I’ll probably move to octopus but only because they will have the best tariff available for me (have an EV and by that point I’ll have solar and battery storage). With the EV only, it’s not worth it.

But they will still take the 200 just to sign up?
Or will the variable payment immediately take into account that I am 200 up on my account?
It takes it into account.
Any credit in your account is factored in first.

I'm on a variable DD and when my bill comes in I just do a card payment and the DD payment doesn't come out as the balance is 0

But they will still take the 200 just to sign up?
Or will the variable payment immediately take into account that I am 200 up on my account?

When I signed up they did not take a penny from me until I got my first bill a month later and even then I did not get charged as I was in credit from all the referrals I made. I still have not paid a penny from my bank account since joining :D

Edit, actually I think I may have paid the first month from my account and the months after that my referral kicked in. But again this was after a month.

Last edited:
I'm with EDF and even with the standing charges, without the heating on now the two of us use about £3.00 per day. Hardly seems worth it to make a huge effort trawling the market. I will get them to reduce our DD before the summer though as since 21st of December we have amassed £250 credit balance (in winter).

Might take a peek at Octopus if they are giving a £50 referral too.
Are they the best of the bunch for the standard rate stuff or will we need to lock into a fix with th
octopus do not lock you in, you can leave at any time, although there is a 6 month cooling off before you can rejoin the same package again afaik

which is interesting... my quick workings out mean for 6-7 months of the year i am better off on octopus Flux and for 6 months of the year better off on octopus Go or IO....

i dunno if they would get fed up if i swapped every 6 months, Flux in late spring to early autumn and a different package from late autumn - early spring.

they dont give the referal btw, you have to get a friend or family member to give you the link which then gives you the referal.

their standard tariffs are much of a muchness i think because they are still capped....

Last edited:
Yeah I took it out when green (my supplier) and all the others went bust.
Took out a 3 year fix (and got 200 pounds cashback + no exit fees).
There was so much turmoil I went for it even though it was a bit more expensive than the standard variable at the time.

So I'm good until September 2024

Its quite scary as our bill is about 100-120ppm at that rate. So the full variable rate would delete the cost of a holiday over the year. Saved loads at the peak of prices
Yup, you gambled and won. It's really unlikely prices will go under that fix before the term is up, well done

which is interesting... my quick workings out mean for 6-7 months of the year i am better off on octopus Flux and for 6 months of the year better off on octopus Go or IO....

i dunno if they would get fed up if i swapped every 6 months, Flux in late spring to early autumn and a different package from late autumn - early spring.

I will have the same kind of issue as you tbh, but then the export component of Flux is so worthless in winter, that you're kind of forced to move or just sit there paying more, hard decision! :)

Back
Top Bottom