Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Tracker which tracks day-ahead wholesale prices - just generally cheaper than SVR
Agile (electricity) which has a price set for half hour intervals during the day - better for people who can load shift, but still cheaper than SVR
I was under the impression there are 6+ month waiting lists for the tracker electricity/gas tariffs?

Q for Octopuses.
I'm a low energy usage household with dual fuel types but no EV or solar. I've joined with electricity on Agile and gas on flexible. I'm looking at joining the waiting list for tracker and am wondering if there is an option just to move gas across or whether you have to move both?

I suppose for my household type it might be more cost effective to move both but need to better understand how the pricing shakes out over the coming months.

Q for Octopuses.
I'm a low energy usage household with dual fuel types but no EV or solar. I've joined with electricity on Agile and gas on flexible. I'm looking at joining the waiting list for tracker and am wondering if there is an option just to move gas across or whether you have to move both?

I suppose for my household type it might be more cost effective to move both but need to better understand how the pricing shakes out over the coming months.
You can be on tracker for only gas, no problem.

Martin Lewis just said the change means for every £100 we currently spend on fuel it will now cost £83, a saving of £17 per month per £100.

However come winter the removal of the government £66 contribution, bills will cost £49 per month more than last winter subject to any further lowering of the price cap in October.

Also daily standing charges are going up

Last edited:
What a bargain, Octopus for today: 16.82p Elec / 3.76p Gas.

• Tracker Tarrifs use 'day ahead' pricing.
  • The Ofgem Price Cap SVR rate uses 3 month lag pricing - hence why it currently costs more.
Graph showing the Gas wholesale price and Ofgem price cap periods.
52924590195_78014031d5_c.jpg

The problem with tariffs using day ahead pricing is that it's not sustainable for all energy consumers to be on it.
Many suppliers using day ahead tariffs went bust in 2020-2021, and we have all been paying the cost through higher SC charges since.

Last edited:
  • Tracker Tarrifs use 'day ahead' pricing.
  • The Ofgem Price Cap SVR rate uses 3 month lag pricing - hence why it currently costs more.
Graph showing the Gas wholesale price and Ofgem price cap periods.
52924590195_78014031d5_c.jpg

The problem with tariffs using day ahead pricing is that it's not sustainable for all energy consumers to be on it.
Many suppliers using day ahead tariffs went bust in 2020-2021, and we have all been paying the cost through higher SC charges since.

I think the key difference is Octopus has its own capacity to generate electricity, which is currently being sold back to the grid at massively preferential rates.

Clearly Octopus will have a limit as to how many people can be on a tracker, only so much "cheap" energy exists in the network.

Last edited:
I think the key difference is Octopus has its own capacity to generate electricity, which is currently being sold back to the grid at massively preferential rates.

Clearly Octopus will have a limit as to how many people can be on a tracker, only so much "cheap" energy exists in the network.

No. The difference is that Octopus are using variable pricing in conjunction with day-ahead rates. So Agile, for example, is 2.2x the wholesale cost, plus an extra 12p per kWh between 4pm and 7pm. There's a 100p cap, but that means their profit margin is protected up to £400 per MWh wholesale costs.

Suppliers went bust because they were relying on market stability to protect profitability, rather than buying energy ahead or varying their retail prices with changing costs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom